The Story Behind Lou Ragland's "i Travel Alone"

Roburt

On the instrumental thread, mention has been made of tracks credited to Al Serafini, who was the musical director of the 'Upbeat' TV show back in the mid to late 60's.

These were two Al Serafini Orch releases (out of Cleveland) back then .........

Al Serafini Orch + Sir Alberts - Hey, Soul Man / Lil Rosey (Audio Fidelity)

Al Serafini Orch + Sir Alberts - Earthquake / Seven Steps To Freedom (A & R)

SOME BACKGROUND: By the 1960s, the big band era had all but ended, but a few live band broadcasts continued. Cleveland based saxophonist Al Serafini still ran a band & they made live national radio broadcasts from both the Sahara Hotel on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland and the Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

In 1965, 'People', an album by Al Serafini had been released (I don't know which tracks are included on the LP). But it was the 45 containing "Hey, Soul Man" credited to the Al Serafini Orchestra & the Sir Alberts that Lou had strong connections with.

I contacted Lou to get the full story ....

Lou told me ....... When the "I Travel Alone" recording session was finished, he had sung the lead, but they (Lou & Tom Baker) had to finish their mix for "Traveling Man" (which the record company later changed the name of without his permission). The cut was then sent to Amy-Mala-Bell's Larry Uttal and Irv Biegel. Anyway, Lou was asked by Baker if the other tracks could be used for an instrumental release. He (Tom Baker) was also working with Al Serafini at that time, producing and arranging tracks for him. Lou said yes and was rightly gven the writers credits, but he never got any publishing revenue.

Lou continues ... "Tom Baker knew that my musical changes and track production was unique and extraordinary. Tom had never heard changes arranged that way before. I knew that all of my musical creations had more movement than normal R&B songs".

So Lou wrote and arranged all of those recordings plus he played several guitar parts on the tracks. Tom Baker then came on the scene just to arrange the horns and strings. Lou says that the two of them made a wonderful 'creative' team, but he didn't get paid from any of that work and that situation still holds true right up to today.

Lou recalls that Jackie Cooper played drums, Tom Backer played bass and trumpet with Richard Shann on piano on all 4 songs recorded during the session.

Lou adds ... "Perhaps when things change, someone will come forward with some kind of compensation for me before my final curtain call".

I guess he has every right to feel bitter about the whole situation that unfolded back then & ever since.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I contacted Lou to get the full story ....

Lou told me ....... When the "I Travel Alone" recording session was finished, he had sung the lead, but they (Lou & Tom Baker) had to finish their mix for "Traveling Man" (which the record company later changed the name of without his permission).

Maybe they changed it because Stevie Wonder had released a track called Travelin' Man earlier in the year (Feb 67)?

Social source share

Talking of Lou Ragland, I bought a copy of "I Travel Alone" in L.A. in '76 from a guy who claimed he was Lou's manager for a while. He subsequently ended up running a record shop in L.A. and then got into all sorts of money problems and had to move all the stock to his flat.

I bumped into him a few months later and when I pulled out "I Travel Alone" we got into a conversation about Lou which is when he said he was Lou's ex manager. He went into some detail about "I Travel Alone". I think he may have been a regional rep for Amy/Mala/Bell or a local distributor or something at the time. He certainly knew all about the music business and Lou in particular, that's for sure. He was in hock to a loan shark so I paid him a decent price for what I took. I wish I could remember his name. I'm sure it was Al though......

Decent guy. Lou would probably remember him I think......

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert