Advice Please - Record From Usa - Paypal Or Ebay Rules?

Hi everyone

Bought a record from eBay from a US seller and just need some advice please.

I would read all the small print myself but I'm off work sick and my brain is shot :(

The seller's aBay item description was at best unclear and the postage invoiced was double what I expected, so I queried it.

This has been rumbling on for ages and the seller has been trying to find loads of different ways for me to pay that don't involve PayPal (Western Union, sending cash, Amazon Payments) but all their communications are a bit random.

These other options are all no good as there would be fees for me which would mean the fees would cancel out my original point about excessive postage.

I have asked if I can just pay by PayPal at the reduced amount outside of eBay - but the seller is insistent that it is PayPal rules, not eBay rules, which meansthere has to be Seller Protection which involves tracking numbers and so a higher postage cost etc. I thought these were eBay rather than PayPal rules :g:

Can't I just pay privately, outside eBay, but using PayPal without any tracking etc.?

I was getting fed up and just wanted to pay this on eBay but because it's been going on for more than 30 days now I have lost the option to pay through the 'pay now' eBay link.

Any advice appreciated please. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Thanks - yes, might need to try that (but it would just leave me paying the full original inflated postage of course).

The key thing is whether I can pay him direct outside of eBay using PayPal and not have to have tracking etc. under any PayPal rules

I'm just wondering if he is getting mixed up between PayPal and eBay rules - or whether I am

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

no reason why you cannot just pay by paypal without useing ebay,

tell you will pay him as a gift, mite nudge him along

Social source share

This is going to become a huge problem, as the postal charges continue to escalate. If as a seller you want any kind of security, signed for, tracking etc. the costs are huge. For cheap 45's from abroad, it's just not worth it.

I recently won a record from the U.S. and it cost me my full bid. So it was already close to the value of the 45. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the invoice and the postage was $32.00. That was most of my profit gone right away, but I payed it rather than get into an argument with the seller. Guess what? that was four weeks ago and I still don't have the record. When I sent him a polite enquiry about the 45's whereabouts, he had forgotten to post it. Still not got it.

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

This is going to become a huge problem, as the postal charges continue to escalate. If as a seller you want any kind of security, signed for, tracking etc. the costs are huge. For cheap 45's from abroad, it's just not worth it.

I recently won a record from the U.S. and it cost me my full bid. So it was already close to the value of the 45. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the invoice and the postage was $32.00. That was most of my profit gone right away, but I payed it rather than get into an argument with the seller. Guess what? that was four weeks ago and I still don't have the record. When I sent him a polite enquiry about the 45's whereabouts, he had forgotten to post it. Still not got it.

i won 4 the other week and got them within 7 days and postage was only 7 dollars
Social source share

Why don't you just both agree to cancel the sale. I don't think it's worth the hassle and I certainly wouldn't recommen paying paypal as gift to someone who wasn't known to you.

Re the 4 weeks delivery - I was sweating recently as I'd been waiting for 5 weeks for a delivery from US. I thought that maybe the customs had intercepted it (seller had indicated that he would not show reduced value on package) Anyway it arrived yesterday & the seller had indeed mailed it 5 weeks ago. In same post I received another 45 from US which was mailed last week. I am beginning to think that total shipment time depends on where in US it was posted as I don't believe the problem is generally at the UK end.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks guys

But does anyone know if these rules are from eBay or PayPal?

Both have similar rules regarding tracking as I see it -

https://pages.ebay.com/paypal/seller/

https://www.paypal-m...ctionOnEbay.htm

With regards to the "pay now" link. It may be possible to find the won item notification in your email account and click on the item there. If you're signed into ebay, hopefully, this will give you the option to "pay now" through ebay. Can't be sure it'll work but pretty confident it worked once for me.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

Thanks mate - very helpful :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard , The rules are most likely to be Ebay as they now prefer all payments to be made via paypal, For obvious reasons (they own it) but Paypal don't bother about shipping etc thats between the seller and the buyer!! If you think the postage rates are to high contact ebay they frown on exorbitant prices and will contact the seller on your behalf ! ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

it's better to stick to the main dealers if you can as they usually charge a fair postage and do multiple buy deals,

there's some real cowboys about, all over the world they are & a lot are in the uk, someone should write a book about all the reasons they have for overcharging on the postage, trouble is with uk postage going up it's only going to get worse.

joe.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!