Joan Duvalle - Love Is Like A Holiday (Hot)

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks John - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Have never seen one myself - just have it on an old tape somewhere.

Grateful for any further information folks.

Cheers

Richard

From memeory ,Mouse and John Britton had this first ,i remember them showing it to me -then i think Browny ended up with that copy ,i've had a couple ,may have kept one will check ,it's on the red label and sure it shares the same catalogue number ,certainly superior to the P.T version ,i dare say that version is a little rarer than folk think ,just no real demand maybe.

Social source share

A scan is proving pretty elusive for Joan Duvalle (Joanne Dovall).

Who owned the "Hot" label?

Not sure Chalky - have checked what I have here including Keith's book but haven't turned anything up as yet - maybe Keith or Robb K might know?

On the Patty Charles version Andre Williams is credited as song writer on both sides. The production is by B&W Productions, and publishing by Draplay Music Pub.

Not sure on correct spelling of her name on the Hot release either.

Great - thanks very much for the sound file :thumbsup:

Here's the Patty Charles version so people can compare. The release number is HOT 101-A X so presumably the 'X' indicates this was a second (re)release of the song?

Cheers

Richard

Patty Charles - (Love Is Like A) Holiday (Hot 101 A X)

https://soundcloud.com/user1502162/patty-charles-love-is-like-a

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

The SPORT 45 reads Joan Dovalle, the HOT 45 reads Joan Duvalle. I will put a scan up later.

Also I think the label reads Aundre Williams!

John

Thanks John for clarifying.

Is the flipside of Joan Duvalle on Hot 'Never Say No' as with Patty Charles please? If so, presumably it is also a different mix?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Joan Duvalle/Dovalle scans.

post-9997-0-91119800-1334502385_thumb.jp

post-9997-0-73830400-1334502461_thumb.jp

post-9997-0-14219700-1334502486_thumb.jp

post-9997-0-27481900-1334502514_thumb.jp

Someone has written in pencil "Violins spec." and "Violins" on the labels. Was this an instruction to add the (awful/unnecessary) strings to the Patty Charles version?

NB. The "Aundre" spelling.

I no longer have a copy of Patty Charles and can't remember her version of "Never Say No". I have just played the Joan Duvalle version and, like the A side, it does not have strings over it.

John

Social source share

i know no ones asked for opinions but i agree with ted..i like let me go but prefer the patti charles vocal..joans is something like running your fingers down a blackboard on the hot release. always remember hearing pete lowrie play it and got a tape from him..two ropey tracks on it joan and that awful lynn terry on lasalle :facepalm:

dave

Social source share

Another small Detroit label associated with Andre Williams. I, too, would like to know the money people and others behind Hot Records. I suspect that Williams just found someone to finance the operating costs (recording time and pressing costs).

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Hello, i hope my message finds you all well. I'm a little late to the discussion but I was only 20, and living in California following my own dreams, at the time. I need some help as well. Joan Duvalle is my maternal grandmother. /my mom is her youngest daughter (still living on a prayer). My family has received at different addresses, paperwork needing signatures for royalties. Hopefully noone signed behind anyone else's back. I am a singer songwriter as well. It is not my intention to berade anyone, I need to know whats legal and how can i continue her legacy with her works if at all possible. i am open to any feedback. shelbyhollmon@yahoo.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!