Montclairs - Hung Up On Your Love - Paula Mislabel

Hi All

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but can someone help with this. I have a copy of The Montclairs on Paula 381 with the wrong title printed on the label. Instead of 'Hung Up On Your Love', it says 'How Can One Man Live'. The flip is 'Make Up For Lost Time'. The deadwax carries the numbers 'SL-2243' & 'SL-2244', and a small imprint that looks like 'MHC' and the number '127'. I've read many times that this is a genuine Paula release and the result of a pressing plant error. Yet I have also been told this is a 70's pressing. There's nothing in JM's book, and no-one seems sure about it. Has anyone got a definitive piece of information that could nail it down?

All help much appreciated

John

Social source share

I am not able to answer your question, but if the Paula 381 issue is a genuine release, shouldn't it then still be a 70s pressing? The label on both Paula 381 and Paula 390 has the year 1973 written on them. So I guess the question must be if Paula 381 is a later 70s or early 80s pressing.

However, it is strange that Paula 381 is suppose to be rarer, but it seems to sell for less than Paula 390. Also, there seem to be a lot of copies of 381 available on Ebay.

Social source share

I am not able to answer your question, but if the Paula 381 issue is a genuine release, shouldn't it then still be a 70s pressing? The label on both Paula 381 and Paula 390 has the year 1973 written on them. So I guess the question must be if Paula 381 is a later 70s or early 80s pressing.

However, it is strange that Paula 381 is suppose to be rarer, but it seems to sell for less than Paula 390. Also, there seem to be a lot of copies of 381 available on Ebay.

I noticed that all the current Ebay sales are like mine, though they are only from a couple of sellers, but both claim them to be absolutely genuine. They make a big point of it. I can't find a 'proper' one anywhere with the correct label. It's confusing as hell.

Social source share

Thanks Boba, legit reissues then.

Yeah, I don't know if I would even call it a reissue, as "make up for lost time" was a big hit for the group and the company was repressing it based on demand. The mispress of the flip side would have made a big difference since people were buying it for the "make up for lost time" side.

Social source share

Bobby Patterson "Recipe For Love" has the same label as and that's an 80s pressing. So it makes perfect sense that the mispressing of Montclairs is a later 80s pressing.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

I'd go for the US Paula white label promo - looks a really nice collection item

i suppose it depends if you want to look at them or listen to them ...each to his own :thumbsup:

Social source share

RE:THE MONTCLAIRS Paula 381 "Hung Up"

There appears to be about one per month of these sold since July last year.

Checkout Popsike:

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=3&searchtext=The+Montclairs+&incldescr=&sortord=&thumbs=&currsel=

The seller is GB and FYI uses the same description:

"ONLY 200 copies were pressed.

THIS IS A GENUINE ERROR ON THE PART OF THE PRESSING PLANT.

THIS IS NOT A RE-ISSUE OR PRESSING"

Social source share

contempo is the way to own it, better mix

A much much better mix indeed. Those Paula pressings weren't the best-pressed records were they? I think they would have sent the masters over to the UK and they would have been nicely remastered and then pressed on decent vinyl. The clarity on the Contempo copies leaves the Paula pressing in the shed!

I noticed the same thing when London were picking up stuff in the 70's. The UK London copy of Larry Saunders is totally superior to the Turbo copy.........

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I have one of these with the deadwax is as above which matches another paula original i have but it has no delta marking is this correct.I want to sell it on ebay and want to make sure it's not the same as the ones coming out almost weekly on ebay. I have in fact contacted the supplier asking him to varify his claims which to be honest he doesnt make if you know what i mean. He states there was a miss-print and there were 200 of them but he never says this is one of them, so i have asked him directly if it is...And i'm still waiting for a respons... Surprise surprise 

Social source share

Just had a reply from the supplier of this record who seems to have an endless supply and his answer to my question regarding this miss-press

You are stating yours is one of the 200 miss-presses is this correct as you seem to have a lot of em and you have their condition as *NEW* can you confirm this please
Many thanks

his answer

"Yes, it is true, me and a friend bought them all from a record store in Chicago a few years ago , regards, Dave"

so there you go ??

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at one of these last night and comparing to a genuine original.

Lots of differences on label design, layout, colour etc.

The deadwax markings seemed to all match up - suggesting it's legit off the original plates - but had drunk a few beers by then so eyesight wasn't tip-top!  :lol:

The thing that struck me was the 'bevelled edge' - or rather the vinyl narrows about 1cm from the edge of the disc, with a quite defined line, and then increases in thickness again. Stands out very clearly in decent light. I'm no expert on this 45, or even on 70s/80s releases, would have said it looked 80s from that alone - then the typeface did too.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!