Articles: Ed Wolfrum - Detroit Sound by Rob Moss

Rob Moss

Guest bill randle

great article rob.remember when we ran into each at mike terrys house,me jj barnes mike and yourself.great memories.

Social source share

great article rob.remember when we ran into each at mike terrys house,me jj barnes mike and yourself.great memories.

I do Bill. I remember asking JJ if he remembered 'Hole in the wall' and he immediately sat down at Mike's piano and started playing and singing it!! Like you said, very happy memories.

Social source share

I agreed, absolutely superb, Love the image of the recording of 'The way you've been acting lately'..

Ive never actually seen a picture of Ed Wingate, I assume its him, as its captioned Wingate.. he look very formidable...

Yes it's definitely him. When Ed first showed me the photo and said 'You know who that is?' I had no idea. 'Uncle Ed' sure had a presence!

Social source share

Really interesting article. As a musician I love reading stuff about studios and recording. Below is a picture of the Wolf Box and some text to supplement your superb article - Thanks for posting:-

Ed designed an ingenious device that allowed Jamerson, Coffey, Babbitt, all the great studio musicians to PLUG-IN directly and reap the sonic benefits of full range recording. The Motown producers were so impressed with the quality of his device, they affectionately dubbed Ed's invention The Wolfie Box.

post-19579-0-44952900-1334693928_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really interesting article. As a musician I love reading stuff about studios and recording. Below is a picture of the Wolf Box and some text to supplement your superb article - Thanks for posting:-

Ed designed an ingenious device that allowed Jamerson, Coffey, Babbitt, all the great studio musicians to PLUG-IN directly and reap the sonic benefits of full range recording. The Motown producers were so impressed with the quality of his device, they affectionately dubbed Ed's invention The Wolfie Box.

Thanks for this -fantastic!

Social source share

Guest ddac1982

Many years ago we purchased the GOLDEN WORLD clock that hung outside the studio. It now adorns the inside of our record store.

Social source share

This is truly a 'historic' article & photos.

I love the fact Ed mentions that during his pioneering heyday, only about 10% recorded material was ever released. i.e. 90% went to the vaults which could be hundreds (or even thousands!) of "unreleased" by artist such as Deon Jackson, Parliaments, Rose Batsiste, Capitols etc,. (sigh...)

Also, the key to good production is not just solely about arrangement, but the way the sound is improved and captured - which Ed plays an important part of at young age - building analog electronics to enhance & improve sound (way before working to get his academic quals at night school!)

You feel the Detroit session musicians of the mid 60's /early 70's period, were undoubtedly top notch and the best in the world. I believe this golden recording age of Soul /RnB will never be bettered. And long may it be celebrated.

Really great article Rob. Thanks for this.

Regards, Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not read it yet but i just know its gonna be good.The genius of this man.Gilly and Nicola

Well ive read it and it is brill,he never ceased to amaze me on the many occasions i spent time with him and Susan his wife,the cleverest guy ive ever met in my life.Now thanks to you in your very educational maner youve done the business and documented it for all to read(btw me and Tats have some movie footage taken in 1990 at his house)
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

A fantastic article Rob. Ed was involved in the "What's Going On" LP. I have learned realise that LP was a masterpiece of sound engineering. The enclosed article was from GS it blew me away when I first read it. 

For further info I found typing in Wolfrum in the following link https://gearspace.com/board/search.php brings up sound production info in respect to Ed. They are quite technical.

Strings.JPG

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 10:35, Paulmc said:

A fantastic article Rob. Ed was involved in the "What's Going On" LP. I have learned realise that LP was a masterpiece of sound engineering. The enclosed article was from GS it blew me away when I first read it. 

Do you have a link to the full article on What's Going On, that would be a treat to read. Thank you! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!