Pete S

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Someone has one of these over in sales at 500 quid. Why????

:yes: Incredible. I thought prices were just getting more "sensible" (if they ever really were) again and then I see a record being offered at 30% more than the last time one was offered recently and didn't appear to sell. Its worse than house prices round here sometimes.

Social source share

It used to be a "Front page special" on Soul Bowl for..............85p

If I knew then etc etc :angry: :angry:

BH

Not only did Soul Bowl find 100's of these it also sold well locally over in the States.

Personally wouldn't pay anymore than £50, not rare by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Personally think it's a great record, always loved it but it's been hammered :D

Never really touched me for some reason, got all the credentials of a record i would love......male group from Chicago ( i think :D ) like you say you do hear this at most soul nights from hear to timbucktoo beer.gif

Social source share

Never really touched me for some reason, got all the credentials of a record i would love......male group from Chicago ( i think :D ) like you say you do hear this at most soul nights from hear to timbucktoo beer.gif

Ringleaders were from Saginaw, Michigan. Willie Hawkins, Vandy Lane, Edgar Donahue & Brent Anderson.

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Not only did Soul Bowl find 100's of these it also sold well locally over in the States.

Personally wouldn't pay anymore than £50, not rare by any stretch of the imagination.

£1.50 on my oldest Soul Bowl list I could find: even then the price double almost double over night

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Great cut! Personally, I like the flip better. Not a dancer but a really beautiful ballad. I don't really see it in Chicago much, never mint. I think all the clean stock copies went over to england in the 80s. BASTARDS! huh.gif

Theres two unreleased Ringleaders cuts out there on a bootleg 45. Highly recommended!

The group was from Saginaw Michigan.

Social source share

In answer to Pete's original question - 'why is it up for sale at £500?' - the sales thread that it was on had quite a few in demand records which people seemed to be gushing about, but the sample I checked (Martha Star, Ellusions, Ringleaders, Don Varner, Andrea Henry, Betty Lloyd etc.) all had prices directly taken from Manships Price Guide volume 3.

The interesting thing was that not one person on that thread suggested any of the prices were too expensive!

Presumably everyone's following the suggestion that sales prices should not be questioned on their originating thread, which is why Pete started a separate topic here to comment on the Ringleaders price.

Either that or everyone now accepts that the Manship vol. 3 prices are just about right?!?

Social source share

In answer to Pete's original question - 'why is it up for sale at £500?' - the sales thread that it was on had quite a few in demand records which people seemed to be gushing about, but the sample I checked (Martha Star, Ellusions, Ringleaders, Don Varner, Andrea Henry, Betty Lloyd etc.) all had prices directly taken from Manships Price Guide volume 3.

The interesting thing was that not one person on that thread suggested any of the prices were too expensive!

Presumably everyone's following the suggestion that sales prices should not be questioned on their originating thread, which is why Pete started a separate topic here to comment on the Ringleaders price.

Either that or everyone now accepts that the Manship vol. 3 prices are just about right?!?

In my case it was definitely because I didn't want to make comments about prices on the same thread as the records for sale so I took it away. The Ellusions and Ringleaders were certainly too expensive and both were discussed elsewhere. But I think maybe it was better to move it away from the sales section as it hasn't really caused any trouble (I hope)

Social source share

Great cut! Personally, I like the flip better. Not a dancer but a really beautiful ballad. I don't really see it in Chicago much, never mint. I think all the clean stock copies went over to england in the 80s. BASTARDS! :)

Yup, Soul Bowl bought the entire remaining stock - and as we know it was the proverbial "cheapie". however they gradually disappeared into collections and it was a classic case of supply and demand when someone finally reactivated it, no one wanted to sell (that's until they found out what people were offering! :( ). Good thing is that if you buy one in the UK chances are they'll be in good nick, as Stone Soul says the few that I've seen from US sources have been somewhat unluv'd!

Hippo.

Social source share

Isn't Rag to Riches by the Blue Notes of Bernie Williams backing on Fucused O You / It's Needless To Say, but not Harold Melvin fame?

yep...thats the one I was thinking off but I'd also had a few beers :) It's on one of the acetates of Tears Tell The Whole Sad Story (Needless To Say), the one Rob Thomas owns I think. Can't remember whats on the flip of the one Kitch owns.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Spoiling sales again are we? Where are all the guardians of right and wrong when you need them? Some ARE more equal than others. :)

Take it that was a reference to me :) First off the question was why someone would pay so much for a Ringleaders in TALK VINYL. I gave my opinion...just like you do on numerous occasions. If this was in sales I wouldn't say anything but as it was a discussion about the Ringleaders in another forum why shouldn't I be able to say what I think?

Is there owt in the post yet? :(:(

Edited by chalky
Social source share

yep...thats the one I was thinking off but I'd also had a few beers :) It's on one of the acetates of Tears Tell The Whole Sad Story (Needless To Say), the one Rob Thomas owns I think. Can't remember whats on the flip of the one Kitch owns.

Isn't one of the acetates of TTTWSS attributed to the Topics? I think they're the same cut though.

Social source share

Isn't one of the acetates of TTTWSS attributed to the Topics? I think they're the same cut though.

Not the Topics, different group, although don't think they had anything issued. One of the acetates is uncredited I think but both Bernard Williams and Blue Notes, pretty certain about that....one 7 inch and one 8 or ten inch :)

Social source share

Spoiling sales again are we? Where are all the guardians of right and wrong when you need them? Some ARE more equal than others. :(

different forum, different topic, no mention of anyone ripping people off, christian. don't get paranoid :(

Social source share

different forum, different topic, no mention of anyone ripping people off, christian. don't get paranoid :(

Dan, I think your getting paranoid and shit stirring mixed up :(:D

Like I said, I wouldn't dream of saying something out of order in sales and dismissing someones price but like we both said this is in a discussion section :D

Social source share

Dan, I think your getting paranoid and shit stirring mixed up :thumbsup::D

Like I said, I wouldn't dream of saying something out of order in sales and dismissing someones price but like we both said this is in a discussion section :yes:

I didn't have you in mind at all Chalky. My own involvment in a recent embarassing incident is one thing (and a thing I have apologised for), and general thoughts on the subject is another. My point is that sometimes everyone defends the sellers right to price records anyway he sees fit, the "if you don't like the price, don't buy" doctrine. Many often also defend a buyer who spends ten times the going rate saying that it is his hard earned which he can spend anyway he likes, there are no prices, price is only set by what the highest bidder is prepared to pay, etc. All of this can be said to be true, but sometimes you see the same champions of free pricing freak out and display their anger, scorn, ridicule and general condemnation of certain prices, sellers and buyers. I am personally for sensible commenting and discussion of prices. If someone is listing something for £500, and this is said to be insane in another section of the same forum, it's not exactly going to make much difference is it, the sale is still potentially spoiled.

On to the Ringleaders, a great record IMO, but pretty common. I thought the 'going rate' nowadays was around £300 (which is way too much if you ask me), so £500 does seem a bit steep. Maybe some people pay £500 for it nowadays though? :yes:

P.S. Chalky, an envelope is on the way, it should hopefully be with you in the near future.

Social source share

I didn't have you in mind at all Chalky. My own involvment in a recent embarassing incident is one thing (and a thing I have apologised for), and general thoughts on the subject is another. My point is that sometimes everyone defends the sellers right to price records anyway he sees fit, the "if you don't like the price, don't buy" doctrine. Many often also defend a buyer who spends ten times the going rate saying that it is his hard earned which he can spend anyway he likes, there are no prices, price is only set by what the highest bidder is prepared to pay, etc. All of this can be said to be true, but sometimes you see the same champions of free pricing freak out and display their anger, scorn, ridicule and general condemnation of certain prices, sellers and buyers. I am personally for sensible commenting and discussion of prices. If someone is listing something for £500, and this is said to be insane in another section of the same forum, it's not exactly going to make much difference is it, the sale is still potentially spoiled.

On to the Ringleaders, a great record IMO, but pretty common. I thought the 'going rate' nowadays was around £300 (which is way too much if you ask me), so £500 does seem a bit steep. Maybe some people pay £500 for it nowadays though? :yes:

P.S. Chalky, an envelope is on the way, it should hopefully be with you in the near future.

Ever thought of going into politics? :thumbsup:

BH

Social source share

i was being polite, chalky :D

you yorkshire lads are plain speaking folk though :D

straight to the point lad :D

no use beating round the bush as me gran used to say :yes:

Then accept my apologies :D:D But as only Pete Smith and myself mentioned anything to do with a price/value I assumed you was referring to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ever thought of going into politics? :thumbsup:

BH

Yes, I have thought about it actually. I have always been conscious, but it is only recently that I have taken a more active interest in various politics.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert