The Top Discoveries Of 2012? Spinners Unissued Motown

I've only heard one, when it had its first play at Lifeline, was stood behind Ady at he time and it sounded fantastic loud.

Just saying, from the 30 second clips, they don't sound any better or worse than anything that came out on the label at that time.

Didn't say they were bad. Just nothing too memorable.

Social source share

Just saying, from the 30 second clips, they don't sound any better or worse than anything that came out on the label at that time.

Didn't say they were bad. Just nothing too memorable.

Not knocking anyones opinion Pete, everyone entitled to one. I was just giving mine on the one time I've heard it, that was at a venue and it might sound different out loud than it does at home.

Social source share

We are doing a fully Motown sourced CD of the Spinners early years at Motown up to 1966 I think. Both of these are on it and we're also doing 45s and will put one or two on various label compilations.

Personally I think We're Gonna Be More Than Friends is up there with the likes of Reconsider and Tell Me It's Just A rumour Baby. I still need to hear the other one a few more times and hear it out (as I will this Sat at the 100 Club. Did I mention that?).

Ady

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ady, I have another unreleased spinners jobete acetate. Group is unmarked but it sounds like the spinners and Andy Rix confirmed it. I can dig it out if it's relevant to your project (also willing to trade it for something...). Thanks.

Social source share

Cheers Bob, there are other unissued on the CD, I'll get a full list to you next week to see if they are the same. Either way it would be very interesting to see the acetate, I'll be in touch. Ady

it's the record that I posted about in this thread that was sold to me as "the originals":

it obviously wasn't the originals as it was clearly an early 60s sound and the originals weren't even on motown then. It also didn't sound like them and did sound like the spinners. I think I recorded it, can email you an mp3 if you want. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Feel it only fair to point out that these splendid tracks were technically the discoveries of Ady's and my esteemed colleague Mick Patrick, and his Spinners project partner Keith Hughes. There's actually another very nearly as good dancer among the other unissued's that will feature on the 2CD set, but for that one we'll all have to wait! :shhh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry, folks, slip of the keyboard in my previous post - it's actually a single CD, but no less chock full o' goodies for that!

Apologies to Mick and Keith especially for panicking them into thinking I knew something that they didn't! :rofl::D:thumbup:

Social source share

For me, "I think We're Gonna Be More Than Friends" is the better, but I can't wait to hear both on that CD (as well as any other unreleased gems that I didn't manage to get on tape when we perused The Vaults).

Bob- was that "Daydreamer" side also by The Spinners? Or was that the Eddie Holland version? I hope it was a different recording by The Spinners. I'd love to hear them singing that song.

Social source share

For me, "I think We're Gonna Be More Than Friends" is the better, but I can't wait to hear both on that CD (as well as any other unreleased gems that I didn't manage to get on tape when we perused The Vaults).

Bob- was that "Daydreamer" side also by The Spinners? Or was that the Eddie Holland version? I hope it was a different recording by The Spinners. I'd love to hear them singing that song.

no daydreamer was the eddie holland. now I don't remember if posted a scan of just that acetate or the spinners also, but i still have the spinners. i will try to send you audio.

Social source share

no daydreamer was the eddie holland. now I don't remember if posted a scan of just that acetate or the spinners also, but i still have the spinners. i will try to send you audio.

a maybe useful butt in post

when in the add reply text editor

if you click the "my media" icon you can browse (and add to post ) all the attachments you have ever uploaded on here

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

Expect they both went down well last night.

1st track has amazing backup harmonies which I suspect will be the making of the success of it.

2nd track not so obvious from the 30 sec section. Will wait for the CD with anticipation and have very high expectations Ady! :)

Social source share

Not knocking anyones opinion Pete, everyone entitled to one. I was just giving mine on the one time I've heard it, that was at a venue and it might sound different out loud than it does at home.

Have to agree Chalky. Sounded incredible at Lifeline.

Ian

Social source share

Details of the upcoming CD that Keith Hughes posted on Soulful Detroit.

post-225-0-83144000-1335095709_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's official! Ace/Kent are proud to announce the first Spinners CD of Motown recordings since 2001's Essential Collection. We've taken their first LP The Original Spinners (The Detroit Spinners in the UK), and filled out the disc with rare and (mostly) unreleased tracks recorded between their arrival at Motown in mid-1963 and the LP's release in October 1967.

New to all save a few diehards with a rapidly deteriorating cassette collection are vocal harmony gems from the group's early sessions such as "12 O'Clock" and "Darling", the latter specially mixed for this CD as the original rough mix used on the acetate could not be found. (The remainder of the tracks are all 1960s mixes from the original Motown tapes.) From the other end of the timeline, and new to everyone, we think, are a definitive version of "Tea House In China Town" which in some people's opinion knocks the Four Tops' version for six, and a song surely destined to be a Northern classic: "We're Gonna Be More Than Friends". Keep that wheel twisted, friends ...

The CD has the full approval of Universal Music, and the active co-operation of Mr Harry Weinger, to whom as usual go our thanks. Spinners experts including Ritchie Hardin, Heikki Suasolo and Andy Rix (all of this parish) have guided us along the way, but of course final blame for errors (especially any involving counting!) must lie with the CD's compilers, Mick Patrick and myself. As for omissions ... there's easily enough left for a Volume 2, if anyone's up for it! They were busy boys in the studio.

We're hoping to get this out at the end of June - we'll keep the Board posted when we know more.

Full track list is as follows (* indicates previously unreleased):

01 That's What Girls Are Made For

02 I'll Always Love You

03 Truly Yours

04 For All We Know

05 It Hurts To Be In Love

06 Tomorrow May Never Come

07 Sweet Thing

08 I Cross My Heart

09 Where Is That Girl

10 Like A Good Man Should

11 How Can I

12 I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain

13 Darling *

14 Words Can't Describe *

15 12 O'Clock *

16 Lonely Tomorrow *

17 I Want My Baby Back *

18 Nobody Else But You *

19 Just Another Guy *

20 This Feeling In My Heart *

21 Memories Of Her Love (Keep Haunting Me)

22 What More Could A Boy Ask For

23 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby

24 Too Late I Learned

25 Tea House In China Town *

26 We're Gonna Be More Than Friends *

Social source share

New to all save a few diehards with a rapidly deteriorating cassette collection are vocal harmony gems from the group's early sessions such as "12 O'Clock" and "Darling", the latter specially mixed for this CD as the original rough mix used on the acetate could not be found. (The remainder of the tracks are all 1960s mixes from the original Motown tapes.)

Darling is the record I have on acetate (which makes the above part of the description sort of funny). It sounds like a completed mix.

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Me & Sue had a fantastic night at the "100 Club" Saturday,

danced to the full version of "We're Gona Be More Than Friends", awesome tune, gonna take off like a rocket. The sounds played on Saturday night take Northern Soul to another level.... all DJ's were superb.

Looking forward to going to the "100" again in a few months time, cheers Everybody, Woody

Edited by Straight Up
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!