Is This Record Worth £1000, Go And Find It

Pete S

Mick Smith and Butch were I think the only people who had this record at one time - THE ONLY LOVE I EVER HAD - both had it covered up. First one went for 4 figures. When I found out what it was, I only told 3 people what it actually was in the hope that if they found one, they'd find more and let me have one. Well that hasn't happened and one of the people found copies and made a lot of money out of them so it's only fair I suppose that I tell everyone else what the record is, seeing as I don't give a toss anymore. Obviously more people know what it is now but back when only a couple of people knew*, that was the time to find it.

*including Dave Welding

Here you go - but it's credited to Yiddish Soul Brother Amnon.

CHESS 1990 - Ammon Feldman - Only Girl I Had / In New York City - 1967

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Add John Anderson to the list...and some European guys who can say "hello!" themselves if they wish to do so ;)

A small quantity was found some time ago.

I know.

John bought the first one off Butch / Mick.

The small quantity was found by someone I told about it.

John now has some or all of those copies, or has sold them.

Marc I can assure you. In the first instance, nobody knew what that record was.

Now I think it's time everyone knew.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

when you type "Ammon Feldman" + "Only Girl I Had" into google and it brings up 4 results you know its going to be hard.

especially when this thread appears at number one.

Social source share

when you type "Ammon Feldman" + "Only Girl I Had" into google and it brings up 4 results you know its going to be hard.

especially when this thread appears at number one.

When I was at John's place last year I mentioned this to him and he'd never heard of, that's how far off the radar it was!

Social source share

I also have this. It's a vanity record, that clearly didn't sell or get distributed by Chess. For a long time it was the rarest of the 60s Chess soul 45s, which is why the discographies have the name wrong. Both sides are pretty cool I think. How many copies have turned up?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I know.

John bought the first one off Butch / Mick.

The small quantity was found by someone I told about it.

John now has some or all of those copies, or has sold them.

Marc I can assure you. In the first instance, nobody knew what that record was.

Now I think it's time everyone knew.

Pete

Sorry mate but your talkin' out of your arse, this record has been known about for years.

John Anderson turned the first copy up in 1987, I was offered it for £200 at a record fair in Manchester, but didn't like and turned it down. I later mentioned it to Mick (Smith) who then bought it later the same day.

Dave Welding

Social source share

Pete

Sorry mate but your talkin' out of your arse, this record has been known about for years.

John Anderson turned the first copy up in 1987, I was offered it for £200 at a record fair in Manchester, but didn't like and turned it down. I later mentioned it to Mick (Smith) who then bought it later the same day.

Dave Welding

It might have been, but by how many people Dave?

Mick recorded it for me when he got it, it wasn't as early as 1987 though, it was the early 90's.

Where's all the copies that have turned up since then?

Where's all the people who knew it?

Social source share

Pete

Dave Welding

Have amended my original post!

Social source share

• 4 months later...

yes, agree with Denbo and Tommaso. like better In New York City than The only girl i had, but i can see it having some "big room" appeal.

out of curiosity, if a copy for sale was well advertised (let's say on here or on some other forums/sites/ebay ) would it really fetch 1000£ these days?

Edited by soulfuljules
Social source share

out of curiosity, if a copy for sale was well advertised (let's say on here or on some other forums/sites/ebay ) would it really fetch 1000£ these days?

Probably to a serious Chess collector (if there is such a thing) who has a gaping hole in his collection.

Social source share

I also have this. It's a vanity record, that clearly didn't sell or get distributed by Chess. For a long time it was the rarest of the 60s Chess soul 45s, which is why the discographies have the name wrong. Both sides are pretty cool I think. How many copies have turned up?

Is it possible Chess would have withdrawn it from sale after deciding that the artist's name sounded a bit too Jewish, and that it wouldn't sell?

Social source share

Why would they?

Besides, weren't the Chess brothers Jewish?

Good point Denbo - though what I meant was from the point of view of selling, and the record buying public's perception. Then again, just a guess.

But thinking about it, Warner Bros and Rampart did reissue the Majestics "I Love Her So Much It Hurts Me" as David and Ruben, so maybe that throws that theory out of the window.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

ok, my question was more related to the rare soul scene. what i mean is would people in the soul scene pay that kind of money?

personally i think that In New York in the right hands could become one of the biggest r&b tunes of the last few years. it has all the ingredients.

but it is the other side which i think has had plays on the rare soul scene, hence me asking about the demand for it.

Social source share

ok, my question was more related to the rare soul scene. what i mean is would people in the soul scene pay that kind of money?

personally i think that In New York in the right hands could become one of the biggest r&b tunes of the last few years. it has all the ingredients.

but it is the other side which i think has had plays on the rare soul scene, hence me asking about the demand for it.

at a very not so wild guess most of the rare soul dj`s based in nyc have a copy now :wink:

Social source share

I guess the problem with this 45 is that the two sides appeal to totally different crowds, so I can't really think of a dj playing both sides so to fully justify paying £1000.

Anyway, looking at R&B biggies prices nowadays, I reckon "In NYC" should be valued a lot higher than most of them, as it is far rarer and better (and it is a super collectable chess 45, too).

Problem is, it is still unknown to most R&B collectors / djs.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

spinned it both side this year in dresden (forget to do in berlin but probably marc knows the side played by butch)....and it have a great appeal to the dancefloor also for the regular people that are not able to listen soul or rnb

amazing 45 and very danceable on both of his side....

got one of the five of mr weingarden....:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 30/08/2012 at 06:44, Gene-R said:

Good point Denbo - though what I meant was from the point of view of selling, and the record buying public's perception. Then again, just a guess.

But thinking about it, Warner Bros and Rampart did reissue the Majestics "I Love Her So Much It Hurts Me" as David and Ruben, so maybe that throws that theory out of the window.

Also the fact that The Chess Brothers knew Feldman's name when they signed him.  Why would they wait until his record had already been, slated, assigned a number, and some of his records were pressed up before realising that his name might cause sales to be less than reasonably profitable?  I don't remember any major atrocities committed by Jews in USA around that time.  Had they felt that way, they'd have signed him only under the condition that he'd adopt a "stage name", if he wanted to have a significant singing career.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

I have to say that this is one of the worst records I've ever heard ... and that's saying something ... a prime example of rarity over quality ... I really don't know what all the fuss is about!  If it was a £30 record nobody would give a toss about it and quite rightly so!  Country meets pocorn meets jewish folk music FFS!  It's dreadful!   .... only my opinion of course but PS isn't adverse to expressing his views on records that I happen to like  😀

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

Personally I like it.

It is 'Northern' Soul. Rare, odd, weird and a great back beat. You don't name yourself 'Soul Brother' if you're going to play Jewish Folk or Country, surely.

Hey, I respect your views though Soulstrutter, diverse taste is what it's all about 👍 KTF

🤣   ... perhaps after a yard of ale played in the right setting?  Rare, odd, weird .. definitely! Soul ... definitely not to my ears!  'Northern' well  the scope of that seems to widen .... I'm all for pushing the boundaries .... within reason otherwise how long before Rock n Roll / Rockabilly will be 'accepted' under the auspices of rarity ... where do you draw the line? (Will an unreleased Cliff Richard record get discovered and covered up?) ... whatever floats your boat I guess ... 'Line & Track' and 'Stanky' get 'slagged' ... and this....?  He makes George Lemons (on Uphill Climb) sound 'accomplished' 😂!

Perhaps I should give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me ... I somehow doubt that it will ... but life would be boring if we all like the same things.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I'm wondering if Amnon Feldman was associated with Rotary Connection? 

Was he the A Feldman who wrote some tracks on their 'Peace' album on the Chess associated label Cadet Concept. 'Peace at Least' was released as a 45.

Discogs has an entry for him and his Chess single has one copy at sale for just under £2 Grand. An amazing price.

Edited by DukeBurgundy
Additional information.
Social source share

4 hours ago, DukeBurgundy said:

I'm wondering if Amnon Feldman was associated with Rotary Connection? 

Was he the A Feldman who wrote some tracks on their 'Peace' album on the Chess associated label Cadet Concept? 'Peace at Least' was released as a 45.

Discogs has an entry for him and his Chess single has one copy at sale for just under £2 Grand. An amazing price.

I don't know for sure.  But that group worked with Chess Records, and so did he.  Despite the fact that his record was out a few years before Rotary Connection had that LP released, he might well have known Minnie Ripperton when she was a member of The Starlets.  Maybe Feldman was hired as a staff songwriter for Cadet-Concept's not-so-soulful (more mainstream) material?  How many Feldmans worked for Chess?  The odds are good that he was the writer.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Maybe Feldman was hired as a staff songwriter for Cadet-Concept's not-so-soulful (more mainstream) material?  How many Feldmans worked for Chess?  The odds are good that he was the writer.

Seems more likely that it's Artie/Arthur Feldman that wrote for Rotary Connection.  He also wrote stuff for Tenison Stephens, Sonji Clay, Chuck Ray (on Buddah), Rastus (on GRT) etc.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Seems more likely that it's Artie/Arthur Feldman that wrote for Rotary Connection.  He also wrote stuff for Tenison Stephens, Sonji Clay, Chuck Ray (on Buddah), Rastus (on GRT) etc.

I agree.  That sounds more likely, given that we haven't seen Amnon Feldman listed as a Chess writer.  I forgot about Artie Feldman.  I wonder if he was Amnon's father?  😁

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The background tracks are good.  The song is okay, writing wise.  But he's not much of a singer.  I've seen that record before in Chicago in the late '60s, and passed it up, even for 25 cents, or whatever the low price was.  I know it was a low price, because I was wrestling with myself to decide if I should waste the few cents just to hear it and satisfy my curiosity.  But, I finally decided there was 99.7+ % it would be garbage (and it turns out I was right).  😎 I'd never heard it before just now.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

You didn't finish your sentence.  The notes say................  What do they tell us that we didn't know?  I read them all on both videos, and saw nothing new.

Sorry someone made a comment on the notes section of the video (which doesn't show on the link) stating it is Amnon Feldman

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!