Is This Record Worth £1000, Go And Find It

Posted

Here is an image from Amnon Feldman's site, with him sitting by a piano and pictures of the Chess 45 on the wall behind him:

396794_1fb8323a86254a2fa097bb20b734d8ac-855x1536.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 61
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's five too many!

🤣   ... perhaps after a yard of ale played in the right setting?  Rare, odd, weird .. definitely! Soul ... definitely not to my ears!  'Northern' well  the scope of that seems to widen .... I'm all fo

I agree.  That sounds more likely, given that we haven't seen Amnon Feldman listed as a Chess writer.  I forgot about Artie Feldman.  I wonder if he was Amnon's father?  😁

Posted Images

Posted

I didn't know what the fuss was about years ago and still don't its pretty poor record, one side he sounds like he can't sing, the other just slightly better

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

I didn't know what the fuss was about years ago and still don't its pretty poor record, one side he sounds like he can't sing, the other just slightly better

Exactly what I said a few days ago ...  talk about navel gazing!  It's rare because it's sh*te! ... no one wanted it or bought it - apparently a vanity project ... so probably not many pressed and those that were probably 'gifted'to friends and family.  There's one for sale on Discogs for £2k from US ... I bet the seller is rubbing his hands at the thought of some mug (in UK?) paying £2k for it!  I think Robbk said he turned down the chance of buying it for 25 cents!  That just about sums it up!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I think both sides are ok. Not allnighter material. But quite nice. Vocals remind me of Arthur Willis.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The New York City side bring the better of the 2 for me.  It’s not brilliant but i’ve heard much worse.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
17 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Here is an image from Amnon Feldman's site, with him sitting by a piano and pictures of the Chess 45 on the wall behind him:

396794_1fb8323a86254a2fa097bb20b734d8ac-855x1536.jpg

He became a hypnotherapist!!!  Good decision to not try to pursue a singing career.  🙂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I tried asking Amnon a few different times many years ago how he got hooked up with Willie Dixon and Chess, and all I could get out of him were variations on "Those were the days." 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There's some speculation above on this thread about Chess getting cold feet about the marketing possibilities for a record by an artist with a Jewish-sounding name and thus removing his full name from the label. That makes zero sense, as they ended up inserting the word "Yiddish" as part of his nickname....

"Only Girl I Had" is very far from soul to my ears. I've always thought it sounded like a Richard Hell & the Voidoids outtake. "In New York City" is decent outsider R&B.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 hours ago, Weingarden said:

"Only Girl I Had" is very far from soul to my ears. I've always thought it sounded like a Richard Hell & the Voidoids outtake.

Ha! Never noticed that. Listened again and melodically it actually reminds me of "Blank Generation"! 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

It's the kind of untrained style of singing too...I feel like it would sit nicely beside Richard Hell's "I'm Your Man."

Edited by Weingarden
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. How Much Is This Record Worth
    Look At Your Box by Ldf7459 on Wed 09 Nov 2011