Cover Ups

Guest brummiemick

Guest brummiemick

Back in the day, did anyone ever manage to identify cover ups through the lyrics or knowing the artist? Any stories or anecdotes?

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Back in the sunrise-era (66 - 69) they didn't need to cover anything up. Even if you managed to work out the title, no record shop would stock it, and you needed artist/label info to order it. Impossible.

The sound equipment was pretty pathetic then compared to now, wirh BSR decks and ceramic cartridges etc.

Acquiring music knowledge was a laborious and costly task... buying blind and hoping!

I remember going into record shops when I was 16, and asking for "Ready or not here I come". I ended up with the Delfonics. Of course I was looking for "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie". I got it a year later, after I'd plucked up enough courage to ask DJ Martin Wheatley (Studio One, Kingswinford) what it was.

The Diskery (Brum) would give you a little pile (and a record centre) to take upstairs to the booth to play. A godsend that. I recognised almost every one after the first two bars!

The first time I really saw records with beer mats over them was at the Jazz Club (Dudley) and Cats.

It was hard, acquiring sounds and knowledge, then.

Pep.

Edited by Pep
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!