Philly Devotions - Just Can't Say Goodbye Japanese Metal Acetate 45

I was digging through a box of records I got last week that included this one.

I can provide some photos. The record comes in a plain paper sleeve with a red stamp in Japanese on the top of the sleeve with an A and B label with Japanese writing on it. It's definitely an acetate. It's mint. I briefly played it to ID it.

Any idea on value on something like this? I can't imagine there are that many knocking about.

Cheers!

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Nick Harrison

The above 45 was at the time mass pressed via Columbia and widely distributed throughout many countries. As for a Japanese steel acetate, may I say a nice example of a seventies acetate, if this ever did get a Japanese 45 release - IMHO £50 uk pounds seems fair. :)

Cheers,

Nick H. :thumbsup:

Social source share

as a collector, an acetate is only worth anything to me if it's unreleased or different from the original in some way. Or for certain "holy grail" items it could have value as an oddity or a frameable or collectible object. But an acetate generally isn't functional in the same as a record, you can't just keep playing it over and over. I guess some collectors like an acetate of a released record better because it's "rarer" and one-off but I would rather have the actual record.

also, what makes record collecting different for me than say, art collecting, is that I'm collecting mass produced objects -- even if they are extremely rare and you know someone who has one, it's usually possible for you to find the record you need. You can be a completist and run labels, artists, etc. With art you can't collect every picasso even if you had all the money in the world, as each one is unique and one-off. To me acetates, as one-offs, sort of go against the philosophy of the things I collect which sort of makes them less interesting to me. The ones with the most value to me are the ones that I have via some personal connection with the artist.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!