Sweet Soul For Lovers And Loners Alike

Every Friday night I do this thing on the local campus radio station here in Edmonton, Canada. I play mostly sweet soul, with a bit of deep and northern mixed in. As I'm on Friday nights 11:00 to 12:00, and thus most people are usually out and about at this time, I suspect my target demographic is loners however I still enjoy doing it for myself. I don't have the sort of crazy rare or obscure records that some of the heavy collectors around here have. However, at the end of the day I'm pretty proud with the set lists I'm able to put together, especially by Canadian standards. :D

I'm always working on getting my talking segments down better however I still mess up quite a bit, sometimes by accident but often also out of ignorance. Perhaps you can forgive me as I'm still young, but I definitely realize I still have loads to learn in the meantime. Never the less, I'd be very interested in hearing some feedback as I'm still trying to figure out some of the details. What information the listener finds interesting, finding the right balance between talk and music, etc. You can listen to the last few weeks show at the website below. I try and put up a setlist and upload an mp3 of Friday's show the morning after. However, I'll make a disclaimer that if you listen to one of my past shows with guests, I can't be blamed for the nature of the banter which, if you're over the age of 30, you'll likely find to be inane.

https://soulfillin.wordpress.com/

I'll be on tonight in one hours time from this post. You can listen live online at: https://cjsr.streamon.fm/

P.S. forgive me for this being my first post but I'm too often overwhelmed by the expertise on display here, I don't have the knowledge to really contribute.

Cheers,

Sam

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Every Friday night I do this thing on the local campus radio station here in Edmonton, Canada. I play mostly sweet soul, with a bit of deep and northern mixed in. As I'm on Friday nights 11:00 to 12:00, and thus most people are usually out and about at this time, I suspect my target demographic is loners however I still enjoy doing it for myself. I don't have the sort of crazy rare or obscure records that some of the heavy collectors around here have. However, at the end of the day I'm pretty proud with the set lists I'm able to put together, especially by Canadian standards. :D

I'm always working on getting my talking segments down better however I still mess up quite a bit, sometimes by accident but often also out of ignorance. Perhaps you can forgive me as I'm still young, but I definitely realize I still have loads to learn in the meantime. Never the less, I'd be very interested in hearing some feedback as I'm still trying to figure out some of the details. What information the listener finds interesting, finding the right balance between talk and music, etc. You can listen to the last few weeks show at the website below. I try and put up a setlist and upload an mp3 of Friday's show the morning after. However, I'll make a disclaimer that if you listen to one of my past shows with guests, I can't be blamed for the nature of the banter which, if you're over the age of 30, you'll likely find to be inane.

I'll be on tonight in one hours time from this post. You can listen live online at: https://cjsr.streamon.fm/

P.S. forgive me for this being my first post but I'm too often overwhelmed by the expertise on display here, I don't have the knowledge to really contribute.

Cheers,

Sam

enjoy the site your taste in music is great and IMO you have plenty of knowledge.

Don Hart "I shed a tear" is a personal fave of mine :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

enjoy the site your taste in music is great and IMO you have plenty of knowledge.

Don Hart "I shed a tear" is a personal fave of mine :thumbup:

What he said :yes:

Social source share

Cheers,

Sam

Don.t think any apologies are needed Sam - You're doing a fine job and playing some lovely music.

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dirk9

Hi Sam,

was a really nice soulful hour (April 27th), with lots of diversity, great show!

The older, I listen also to! :yes:

Bye

Dirk

Social source share

Thanks for all the nice comments, it means a lot.

Taking inspiration from the incredible things Bob has done on his show Sitting In The Park, I'm working on putting together some interviews for my own show.

I really appreciate the compliment. If there are specific artists you specifically would want to interview, let me know and I can possibly hook you up. I have a huge backlog of chicago people and some non-Chicago people to interview, and I know people who know other people, etc. Thanks again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!