The Four Tops Your Song

Smudger

Would like to know the full story of this release,here's what i know :-

Released on 7" on UK. Cailbre CAB 124 Produced by Don Davis (Groovesville music/Conquitador music)

same song as Dells ( 20th century) and Laura Lee (fantasy) and a great version with Levi on lead vocals.

The story as far as i know The 4 tops were between contracts just before re signing with motown ( about 1 week gap) and somehow Don Davis got them to record this ,i have always loved all versions but this seems to be the hardest to get hold of.Was it released in the 7" format in the states or just the UK,the 12" issue is a completely different mix altogether and as far as i remember is not very good.

does anyone on here know any more ?

Four Tops

Dells

Laura Lee

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Our kid, they signed with a small indie US label (Reliant?) and cut about 3 tracks. One of these was their take on "Your Song" (7" and 12" mixes of this were made -- don't buy the 12" mix it was disco-ed up).

Anyway, the US label put out a 45 but decided that "Your Song" (being already done by others) wouldn't be commercial (!!!), so the US 45 doesn't feature this song (& it was never released in the US as they quickly signed with a 'better' label there).

But UK Calibre were offered their 'US indie label' cuts, really liked "Your Song" and made it the A side of the UK 45 (& 12").

So its a fine track that's only available on UK release (& maybe a few other Euro country issues but don't know definite details on those).

Social source share

Just done some checking .........

US 45 was on Reliant "I'm Here Again" voc + instrumental

UK 45 on Calibre "Your Song" c/w "I'm Here Again (voc)"

Any Euro releases on 45 for their take on "Your Song" -- which is mighty fine by the way.

........ if so, details please -- country & label there !!

Social source share

Would like to know the full story of this release,here's what i know :-

Released on 7" on UK. Cailbre CAB 124 Produced by Don Davis (Groovesville music/Conquitador music)

same song as Dells ( 20th century) and Laura Lee (fantasy) and a great version with Levi on lead vocals.

The story as far as i know The 4 tops were between contracts just before re signing with motown ( about 1 week gap) and somehow Don Davis got them to record this ,i have always loved all versions but this seems to be the hardest to get hold of.Was it released in the 7" format in the states or just the UK,the 12" issue is a completely different mix altogether and as far as i remember is not very good.

does anyone on here know any more ?

Four Tops

Dells

Laura Lee

I bought the 4 Tops 7" in a pic sleeve from a market stall in London around the time of release and found a Promo Flyer inside. I've attached scans of both. I have all 3 versions too. I bought the Laura Lee on a 12" in Greenwich Village in 1982!

post-430-0-00055300-1335179017_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-09466800-1335179077_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!