Modern/pop Songs Which Sample Northern Soul

Guest abbeyp

Guest abbeyp

Can anyone think of any modern/pop/current songs which sample northern soul or motown tracks? Either in a subtle or obvious way.

Been racking my brains and searching online but though this was the best place to ask.

Cheers

Social source share

Guest micksoul

Indie band Spearmint released a great single in 1999 called 'Sweeping the nation which sampled the piano riff from 'out on the floor/Dobie Gray and St etienne sampled the flute from 'i cant wait untill i see my babys face'/Baby Washington on their single 'Nothing can stop us now' from the early 90s

Edited by micksoul
Social source share

Indie band Spearmint released a great single in 1999 called 'Sweeping the nation which sampled the piano riff from 'out on the floor/Dobie Gray and St etienne sampled the flute from 'i cant wait untill i see my babys face'/Baby Washington on their single 'Nothing can stop us now' from the early 90s

St Etienne took their sample from Dusty Springfield's version of I Can't Wait...

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

And Curtis Mayfield's Move On Up turned up on something in recent years . . .

It was Kanye Wests Touch The Sky

Social source share

Bottle Rocket by The Go Team samples the "2-4-6-8-10 - 2-4-6-8-20" bit from Soul Time by Shirley Ellis.

Bloody great band too. They're always a bit shambolic live but you end up jumping around and grinning like an idiot :D

Hi Godz - thought you'd be a fan of this band - good taste! Only seen them live on telly/you tube and yes they are a bit shambolic but I love their albums. There's a couple more "northern" samples on their first album one of which I can't identify now but recognised it from a You Tube clip posted on here last year - the other is a passage from I Cant Rest - Fontella Bass - cant remember which track of theirs its on. They also sample Politicians -Psyche Soulla Funkadelic on Grip Like A Vice ( Proof of Youth album )

Best wishes

Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

as said there are loads but like the fact that Temptations sampled their own song My Girl on Stay

couple of other nice ones - Jaheim lets talk about it - Try to leave me - Bessie Banks

Badu's No love - Lucky Fellow Leroy Hutson

Social source share

THATS ACE THAT IS, LOVE THAT TRACK.

Social source share

St Etienne already mentioned, here on another one...

Quite an obscure one on an early Spice Girls album - the opening riff from Edna Wright - Oops Here I Go - heard it one Xmas round a family friends house, never heard it again, thank god...

Girf

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme sampled Johnny Taylor - What About My Love

More soul than northern but inspired IMHO

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!