Pete S

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Soulfood33

looks fantastic, congratulations this is why I view these pages so's I can learn sumat! Looks fantastic I'd pay £250 no probs... Wonder if it originally had a small hole center.. Stateside somehow doesn't look right with a big hole center. Still a great find..

Edited by Soulfood33
Social source share

i used to have the copy that marc mentioned (probably very same 45 as in pete's pic) so i can add:

- 45 didn't have a small center originally

- it was pressed in the UK and then shipped to Jamaica (got UK EMI matrix no or something similar)

- marc, no you didn't trade it for four gents, it was some for other 45 i can't remember right now :yes:

- sold my copy to hammy but forgot for how much...

hope this helps, back to lurksville now....

Social source share

i used to have the copy that marc mentioned (probably very same 45 as in pete's pic) so i can add:

- it was pressed in the UK and then shipped to Jamaica (got UK EMI matrix no or something similar)

- marc, no you didn't trade it for four gents, it was some for other 45 i can't remember right now :D

Nice to have had you on here to clarify this thing :D:yes:

Marc

Social source share

- marc, no you didn't trade it for four gents, it was some for other 45 i can't remember right now :yes:

It's not a UK export mate. It does have UK stampers, you are correct, but it's definitely W.I. vinyl. Not sure why they would prepare the stampers in the UK, but I've also got Jamaican Pama records with UK stampers and also a record on King Edwards with a UK Island stamper mark. Also it says West Indies so we're only presuming it came from Jamaica. This copy came from The Philippines, today.

Social source share

Looks as though master was prepared by RCA

Note matrix code (W4KM 0277)

That would make sense with the Ninandy connection. Nina (Simone) and husband Andy (Stroud)'s custom RCA logo in the states. Funny thing is, they didn't lease-in many outside productions: what made them go for Roy Roberts apart form the fact that it's a great record and sounded like it could be a hit? Both Roy Roberts and Nina Simone were music business veterans at the time, and were both originally from North Carolina: maybe a case of doing an old friend a favour...

In any case, the WI copy of this has appeared quite regularly on lists over the years: usually at a bit less than the value of the BoRo release of the record. Still a nice thing to arrive through the letterbox, though.

Social source share

That would make sense with the Ninandy connection. Nina (Simone) and husband Andy (Stroud)'s custom RCA logo in the states. Funny thing is, they didn't lease-in many outside productions: what made them go for Roy Roberts apart form the fact that it's a great record and sounded like it could be a hit? Both Roy Roberts and Nina Simone were music business veterans at the time, and were both originally from North Carolina: maybe a case of doing an old friend a favour...

In any case, the WI copy of this has appeared quite regularly on lists over the years: usually at a bit less than the value of the BoRo release of the record. Still a nice thing to arrive through the letterbox, though.

Gareth, I'd guess it was promoted on the strength of the title of the other side...Legend Of Otis Redding.

Social source share

there was a current contact for roy roberts posted on site, saying he's available for bookings and new cd etc, havent time at moment to follow it up, but if anyone has ? could be a interesting follow up ?

think it was via rockhouse records

Social source share

Sure someone listed one of these on here a few months back (Hammy maybe???)

Think price was £175 but not sure.

Would have thought this was rarest label though???

Regards

Mace

Hello Mace. Didn't know you were in to Forums? Then why shouldn't you be? Just never came up in conversation between us I guess?

Did you get that nice little video clip I sent you?

Later . . . .

Denbo.

WOW, shut my mouth . . . . over 2,500 postings to this Forum alone. It's me that's new to all this with only 20 to this particular Forum and not many more to Soul Talk!!! Sorry Mace, I should have known better!!! :¸)

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!