Premium Stuff

Getting 45S Played Over The Phone - First Hearing

Was listening to Derek Pearson on Bradford Radio tonight and he played Melvin Davis - I Won't Be Your Fool (Fortune) and I remembered I had first heard it played over the phone and bought it - Roger banks I think it was from.

Anyway, I wondered about hearing and buying over the phone - a big thing back in the day (as were tapes of course) - and whether anyone had decent good tales - good or bad experiences.

One of my best first hearings of a fabulous record, by means of the old telephone, was E.J & Echoes - You're Gonna Hurt (Diamond Jim) - those horns, handclaps and drums!! - I had to have it :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff

Was listening to Derek Pearson on Bradford Radio tonight and he played Melvin Davis - I Won't Be Your Fool (Fortune) and I remembered I had first heard it played over the phone and bought it - Roger banks I think it was from.

Anyway, I wondered about hearing and buying over the phone - a big thing back in the day (as were tapes of course) - and whether anyone had decent good tales - good or bad experiences.

One of my best first hearings of a fabulous record, by means of the old telephone, was E.J & Echoes - You're Gonna Hurt (Diamond Jim) - those horns, handclaps and drums!! - I had to have it :D

Cheers

Richard

Whenever i "found" a new record i would often ring Pete Lawson (if and when he was home) the one time that sticks out was when i Played him the Hyperions down the phone he nonchanantly said "yeah know that -what is it again" worth a try wasn´t it :D

Steve

When i first got Liz Verdi(from Glen Bellamy) i played You let him get away to Mark Lloyd from Worcester he said "not bad whats the other side like?" Bingo Butch´s cover up!!(i´d been away in Germany)

Steve

I always find stuff always sounds better on the phone or in an audio clip until you own it, then it is mediocre. Maybe it's the weird collector gene in me where if it's in the genre I collect I gotta have it.

I used to call to hear records on ebay a lot, got lots of cool records before they are "known". now I don't have time to deal with it. if there's something weird I'll google it (and 95% of the time it will be a rock / pop / country record mislisted as northern soul). If I get no hits it's at least worth bidding on as an oddity as someone else might want it if it's not soul (I have a lot of bizarre "incredibly strange music" type records from doing this). If it looks like it could be an awesome soul group record I'll make an effort to try to hear it so I can know whether or not to bid high.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

• 22 posts
    • 1807 reads
    • Mark Bicknell
    • 23 May 2018
    • 17 posts
    • 648 reads
    • andybellwood
    • 14 May 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 321 reads
    • jazz
    • 05 Mar 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 164 reads
    • Parkypine
    • 15 Feb 2018
  1. 1st Record Played At Wigan

• 61 posts
    • 12610 reads
    • DaveNPete
    • 29 Jan 2018
    • 2 posts
    • 287 reads
    • SILVERFOX
    • 18 Jan 2018
    • 48 posts
    • 3903 reads
    • wiganer1
    • 28 Dec 2017

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.