Getting 45S Played Over The Phone - First Hearing

Was listening to Derek Pearson on Bradford Radio tonight and he played Melvin Davis - I Won't Be Your Fool (Fortune) and I remembered I had first heard it played over the phone and bought it - Roger banks I think it was from.

Anyway, I wondered about hearing and buying over the phone - a big thing back in the day (as were tapes of course) - and whether anyone had decent good tales - good or bad experiences.

One of my best first hearings of a fabulous record, by means of the old telephone, was E.J & Echoes - You're Gonna Hurt (Diamond Jim) - those horns, handclaps and drums!! - I had to have it :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I always find stuff always sounds better on the phone or in an audio clip until you own it, then it is mediocre. Maybe it's the weird collector gene in me where if it's in the genre I collect I gotta have it.

I used to call to hear records on ebay a lot, got lots of cool records before they are "known". now I don't have time to deal with it. if there's something weird I'll google it (and 95% of the time it will be a rock / pop / country record mislisted as northern soul). If I get no hits it's at least worth bidding on as an oddity as someone else might want it if it's not soul (I have a lot of bizarre "incredibly strange music" type records from doing this). If it looks like it could be an awesome soul group record I'll make an effort to try to hear it so I can know whether or not to bid high.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert