The Greatest Northern Danceable 'slowie'....assuming You Agree There Is Such A Thing

Guest Brooky

Guest Brooky

The Greatest Northern danceable 'Slowie'....assuming you agree there is such a thing.....

Thought this might throw up some interesting nominations........

I'll start it off with my vote.........wonderful vocal, great brass, sublime strings....oh and written by Van McCoy too..........and danceable! (imho)

post-26636-0-24346700-1335097994_thumb.j

Social source share

The Greatest Northern danceable 'Slowie'....assuming you agree there is such a thing.....

Thought this might throw up some interesting nominations........

I'll start it off with my vote.........wonderful vocal, great brass, sublime strings....oh and written by Van McCoy too..........and danceable! (imho)

Fabulous

Social source share

I don't like slow records at all nighters - they just kill it for me and I'm left shuffling about waiting for something to come on to dance properly to - particularly dislike dj's ending their sets with a slowie - that's the priviledge of the last jock to play an "ender". Just my personal point of view though.

Mike

Social source share

Guest Brooky

George Freeman - Down and Out.

==============================================

Hadn't heard this one before....it definitely hits the (slow and classy) spot for me! :yes: .....a dancer too. This is heading for my 'wants' list.

Social source share

Guest Brooky

Another is Bobby Bennett - Alone with my tears. This and George Freeman two of the greatest beat ballads.

======================================================================================

Chalky....we must share some DNA somewhere along the line!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-26636-0-86929400-1335118402_thumb.j

Social source share

great record,but to be fair,like a lot of these mentioned.its a great dancer.not necessarily a slow record.Just not a lot going on in it if that makes sense!

same as Johnny Gilliam above ^^ (bomar)

Edited by John A
Social source share

been slow stuff played since wigan shut so why people havent got used to it is beyond me :g: ............

Frustrating isnt it mate? I forgivingly put it down to folk that may have missed a lot of the music that was played in the 80's and 90's, as that was when a lot more Midtempo was played (and thoroughly enjoyed) so the up-tempo style is in their 'Soul D.N.A' - Nothing wrong with that and I fully respect that, as long as they respect those of us that do like the Mid-tempo - it just happens to be in our 'Soul D.N.A' that's all...

I'll get some sleep.......Then probably edit this early in the morning along with all the other loons! lol

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't like slow records at all nighters - they just kill it for me and I'm left shuffling about waiting for something to come on to dance properly to - particularly dislike dj's ending their sets with a slowie - that's the priviledge of the last jock to play an "ender". Just my personal point of view though.

Mike

I can understand you have to keep a nighter 'going' but a break of three or four Midtempo sounds every so often can actually do a nighter the world of good (In my humble oppiniun of course)

I do see your point ref ending a set with a slowie - I wouldn't say 'slowie' though, I would rephrase it and say - a set shouldn't end with an 'ender' as that should be (As it says) - At the end! I think there is a subtle difference between an 'ender' and a midtempo track that could be played at any time (Again, that's just my humble opinion) it's called contrast.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

John & The Weirdest- No Time

J T Rhythm- All I Want Is You

Fred Williams & The Jewels Band- Tell Her

Killer Tunes, at any time of the night

Social source share

John & The Weirdest- No Time

J T Rhythm- All I Want Is You

Fred Williams & The Jewels Band- Tell Her

Killer Tunes, at any time of the night

Nice one Sean (Well four) - I'm hearing things were pretty great last night at Burnley mate - I hope to get to the next one....But please, not too much Midtempo - It would be criminal! - That's also 'my humble opinion' - Confused? - Yep! lol

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

good point but i think the youtube clip i posted may be pitched up ? im sure it sounded much slower when i first heard it at stafford and on the live tapes i have from stafford,id also like to mention"dont turn your back on me" as acontender

jason

Social source share

good point but i think the youtube clip i posted may be pitched up ? im sure it sounded much slower when i first heard it at stafford and on the live tapes i have from stafford,id also like to mention"dont turn your back on me" as acontender

jason

thats my copy in the you tube clip and its the correct speed..i havent got a speed pitch control on any of my decks ... could never see the point of pitching anyway records are what they are and should be left alone imvho

dave

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Don't know if this was ever played out but as we get older/slower maybe someone should give it a spin

written and produced by the late great Barry White this has a great pedigree for the scene

RIP Viola what a voice !

Social source share

Guest Brooky

Don't know if this was ever played out but as we get older/slower maybe someone should give it a spin

written and produced by the late great Barry White this has a great pedigree for the scene

RIP Viola what a voice !

======================================================================

Amen to that.........has a great 60's feel to it. JM has it down as 'Northern' in Edition 5 and rightly so I think.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!