The Greatest Northern Danceable 'slowie'....assuming You Agree There Is Such A Thing

Guest Brooky

Guest Polyvelts

Jimmy Bo Horne - i cant speak

always fills the floor suprisingly to me

Dont really think of this one as a slowy, but then I used to stomp in double time to 'the drifter' ! !

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

By slowie I would imagine that means beat ballad/ballad not mid tempo?

My thoughts exactly.

What has long been forgotten is that NS was not, originally, about the music, but about discotheques.You had to have a few slow uns to close the place with fellas & gals going off & then coming back next week. No mither, no fights, just 2 happy punters walking out to get mugged on a 6//216/219 outa Piccaddily. If you got on a 33 with a bird, you were guaranteed a right good night, though. Not too classy, but ever so grateful, them mill girls. FOL!

I'll offer this, but the Kenny Shep & Viola Wills tracks above trump it, tbh:

watch?v=NzvHkUhGkrw

ave a few slow uns at the close for to pull wid a gal.

Social source share

By slowie I would imagine that means beat ballad/ballad not mid tempo?

Yes true, even I forget there's a difference between the two sometimes because the way some folk go on about slower tempo records "Not to be played at nighters" etc.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

how about; the exits - under the sreetlamp & high keyes - lets take a chance

ohh and what about doug banks - aint that just like a woman & baby since you went away( flip to i just kept on dancing)

and bud harper - let it rain

god theres loads, or are these toooo slowwww

happy soulin

russ

Social source share

Don't know if this was ever played out but as we get older/slower maybe someone should give it a spin

written and produced by the late great Barry White this has a great pedigree for the scene

RIP Viola what a voice !

Great voice, great tune but this like a few others mentioned is hardly a slowie ?

Social source share

you beat me to that one nev(id of picked the other version tho,lol)

jackie taylor / walking back / jubilee is another choice.

Lol as in ..tongue in cheek lol :lol: ..or serious !

Please don't answer that ..can't take another debate on which version is best :g::(

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I waited about 10 years to get my hands on this (it's not rare) i got up at 4.15 am one morning to make sure i won it LoL

If this isn't slow enough for you , then i give up !

Recorded in a garage with the best out of tune production ever

I love it !

Social source share

I waited about 10 years to get my hands on this (it's not rare) i got up at 4.15 am one morning to make sure i won it LoL

If this isn't slow enough for you , then i give up !

Recorded in a garage with the best out of tune production ever

I love it !

Why did you wait ten years and get up at that time? There's loads on eBay all the time. Highlands biggest seller if memory serves me right, kept the label going for awhile.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Why did you wait ten years and get up at that time? There's loads on eBay all the time. Highlands biggest seller if memory serves me right, kept the label going for awhile.

Because it was years ago when i first started on ebay and it was the first time i had ever seen one

before that there was no way of getting it as i didn't go anywhere

i know it's not rare , it sold well over a million as she still dines out off it

Social source share

I always struggle with what is a ballad and what is mid tempo. Anything slower than Combinations What You Gonna Do is a ballad to me :lol:

That said, mid tempo, ballad or whatever I still love this

That's in between the two Joan....um...Crossover?......Gawd ain't it confusing sometimes?! :D

Len.

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

What is the difference between a "slowie" and a "shuffler" ?

Anyway two I used to love shuffling around to were Robert John "If You Don't Want My Love" and Greg Perry " Love Don't Come No Stronger Than Yours And Mine".

Sorry old school can't do the link thing, but both great records of their time.

Edited by dicklincoln72
Social source share

I think discussing what we label types of music would be another thread and by the end, still wouldn't make any sense! - I'm still convinced 'Popcorn' has just recently been made up by someone! lol.

Len.

Social source share

I think discussing what we label types of music would be another thread and by the end, still wouldn't make any sense! - I'm still convinced 'Popcorn' has just recently been made up by someone! lol.

Len.

I agree. For me there are only 2 types of music - good and pants :lol:

Social source share

Great these sort of threads (also the recent one "great B sides" etc) as I always hear so many amazing records for the first time.

I think this qualifies as a "beat ballad"...

Also love this great double-sider..."mid tempo / crossover heaven"!

Cheers, Steve

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

I agree. For me there are only 2 types of music - good and pants :lol:

:lol: - So true!

Has anyone heard of 'Prog Northern'? - It's the future I tell you! I can't wait for 'Northern - The Concept Album'!!! lol

This is nice by the way,

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here`s a Few Personal Faves,Been played on the Allnighter scene Recently as well....

Eddie Whitehead-Just your fool

Tommy Soul-I`ll Be Right Here

Joe Douglas-Crazy Things

Four Tracks-Like My Love For You

Idris Muhammad-I'm A Believer

Tommy & The Derby`s-Dont Play The Role

Chick Carlton-Your Love Keeps Haunting Me

Milton and Winston-You lied

love the milton & winston,dont think its as rare as the price tag suggests

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now