• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi. i'd have thought.

magnum / mgm / mutt & jeff

but i could be wrong,

joe.

This order seems correct. I saw it on Magnum first. "Move On Love" was a hit in L.A. and S.F. bay area KGFJ and KDIA. Later, I started seeing a few on MGM (yellow DJs only). I can't remember seeing a black MGM store stock on this one. That must have been a national pressing/distribution lease deal. Mind you, I've seen thousands of Magnum copies, and only a handful of MGMs over my many years of record scrounging. MGM was very poor at marketing Soul music. Mutt and Jeff seemed to have some cross-over ownership with Magnum, to the extent that a few Magnum releases were re-released on Mutt & Jeff. That was certainly a re-issue in the case of Move on Love (a couple years later).

Social source share

Joe Jefferson was the original producer of the session. Clearly, he leased these 2 cuts to Magnum first. I saw the record out on Magnum in spring 1965, at least a year before I ever saw ANY Mutt & Jeff record. Mutt & Jeff was Joe Jefferson's label. I believe he started it up in mid 1966, and re-issued Perry's "Move On Love". The Magnum Monarch pressing code numbers were 56294/5, which indicates mid March, 1965. I believe the Mutt & Jeff issue was released in 1966. I believe that Monarch used the same stampers as were used on the Magnum pressing, and, therefore, used the original code number from the year before.

The MGM issue is Catalog No. 13621, which, I believe, was a 1966 release. That would indicate that Jefferson AGAIN leased Perry's record , this time to a major label (off the sales of its Mutt & Jeff release). I will now check the dating on the MGM 45 releases.

CPerry4.jpg

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!