Ever Given Up Soul?

Len

I was at the other end of the spectrum this weekend just gone. Stayed in Friday because I couldn't be arsed to get ready and go out. Stayed in Saturday because I was going to spend the day with my parents (They are both in their eighties now) on Sunday and didn't want to be dozing off halfway through Sunday lunch :D

This meant I actually did stay in Saturday night and watch The Voice, and yes, it is a very, very dark place to be :D:D

Next weekend is shaping up to be a good one though, York Soul Club on the Saturday and then The Marrs Bar on the Sunday, sleep Monday !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well if you're ever in that 'dark place' again Dave, don't forget no matter what time of day or night it is, there will be some sad b*stard on this site you can 'link up' with...Probably me! lol

All the best,

Len.

P.s - Are your parents going to The Mars Bar All-nighter? :D

Social source share

I was at the other end of the spectrum this weekend just gone. Stayed in Friday because I couldn't be arsed to get ready and go out. Stayed in Saturday because I was going to spend the day with my parents (They are both in their eighties now) on Sunday and didn't want to be dozing off halfway through Sunday lunch :D

This meant I actually did stay in Saturday night and watch The Voice, and yes, it is a very, very dark place to be :D:D

Next weekend is shaping up to be a good one though, York Soul Club on the Saturday and then The Marrs Bar on the Sunday, sleep Monday !

I feel for you next weekend...four days of my cooking & company and all in the name of soul...it has a lot to answer for... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

After being introduced to northern in the early 80s, and attending nighters on a regular basis until the late 90s - a period of 16 years by my reckoning - I made a conscious decision to spend my time more with scooters and scooterists than with soul and soulies. My (soul) vinyl collecting all but stopped, but a new aspect of my addictive personality surfaced... I discovered other genres of music!

This has directly lead to CD collecting, a cheaper way of collecting older records of various types that I didn't previously know about.

I suspect (though I've never asked) that this lead to me being asked to do record and CD reviews for Scootering magazine.

This lead in turn to to me discovering even more genres of music. This unfortunately then lead to boxes and boxes and boxes of CDs and vinyl cluttering the house up, 90% of which I can't even remember.

So I've now got a house full of reggae, punk, ska, house, psychobilly, surf, heavy rock, blues, jazz, mod, and of course soul.

Now, while I will admit to having developed a huge interest in the modern ska scene, guess what I always end up coming back to?

Yup, it's the Northern. Not the punk or mod that were my first interests, but the music that took me around the country in my late teens and early 20s.

It never leaves you, and although my interest in all nighters has waned (My last one was the Stafford reunion a few years back!) but my interest in the music itself - but not the format - remains as strong as ever.

Social source share

Stopping going to events just seemed to happen.

Stopping buying vinyl followed on but very much later.

The one thing I cannot seem to get too is selling the collection, have started to copy from vinyl to electronic but still not convinced that will do the trick.

You learn to survive but it is not the same!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I left in 78/79 to play rugby , one thing leads to another and the next thing you meet a girl and get married then you have to work your arse off for two decades to bring up your sprogs then once they sod off you find you have a bit of time on your hands and you go back to what you knew best

It's like reading a book that you really enjoy , you put it down and then 30 years later you pick it back up , blow the dust off and say "Now Where was i " Only trouble is all the young people have disappeared and the scene now seems to be full of old people ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

After drifting in and out for many years, I was tempted to start collecting vinyl again recently - but the prices!!!!? £100 plus for anything decent? Even Sky TV would be cheaper! :ohmy:

That why i gave up collecting about 10 years ago, everthing top dollar, more than in the, then new, book and rising all the time, it no fun skinning yourself to but a couple of tunes a month. Feel like I'm getting to the same stage again, its not great value for money in collecting terms, this soul lark!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Setpember 1989, Rob Mariot was the man, Blackburn, 100 club Keele, Dave Charles, Ruby, Walkover brouges, Baggy white shirt and braces, Smiggy from Leicster, you know the drill. Then a freind from the ns scene I insists I come to this club in Manchester, its the future, a natural progression from Northern soul he says. I was hardcore, had done a nighter a week, on average for the last 18mths, how could I give it all up.

December 89, Graeme Park, Mike pickering, Nude night, Mister B, Bizz Nizz, anything on Chicago tracks, Love on Love, Stearling void, joe Smooth, Joe Bloggs 22 inch bottoms, gazelle's, New yorkers, how could I resist?

took about 5 years befors I listened to northern again

Social source share

Guest Mark D

To the original question - I don't have the luxuriy of being near regular quality events, but ever given up soul? -- NO NEVER.

Social source share

Yep.

Stopped going out to Soul do's - found I wasn't really enjoying them anymore. I like the music but there is other stuff I do.

Sold a lump of my collection, then stopped selling and bought some. Leaning towards selling again but it takes a long time and i'd probably stop and start buying again.

Drop in here now and again, avoid the mag and any OVO/boot thread, look at Sales and laugh. Leave it a couple of weeks then look in again.

See you in a fortnight.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Setpember 1989, Rob Mariot was the man, Blackburn, 100 club Keele, Dave Charles, Ruby, Walkover brouges, Baggy white shirt and braces, Smiggy from Leicster, you know the drill. Then a freind from the ns scene I insists I come to this club in Manchester, its the future, a natural progression from Northern soul he says. I was hardcore, had done a nighter a week, on average for the last 18mths, how could I give it all up.

December 89, Graeme Park, Mike pickering, Nude night, Mister B, Bizz Nizz, anything on Chicago tracks, Love on Love, Stearling void, joe Smooth, Joe Bloggs 22 inch bottoms, gazelle's, New yorkers, how could I resist?

took about 5 years befors I listened to northern again

Similar to me, although I was doing Venus one week, 100 club the next doing a jerry fuller for 6 odd years. Looked the odd one out in John Richmond Destroy tops at nighters mind so came in for some stick which suited me fine. Carried on with alternate house / rare soul weekends until 94. After 16 years decided to take a break as I was having more fun at house clubs so hit it full time and what a ball I had, wouldn't replace a weekend of it.

Started doing the odd nighter / soul event again around 2000 and carried on that way up till now. Kept in touch with soul music though via phone calls from Kitch and Dean and the odd cd

Social source share

Guest laticsbluesmon

Similar to me, although I was doing Venus one week, 100 club the next doing a jerry fuller for 6 odd years. Looked the odd one out in John Richmond Destroy tops at nighters mind so came in for some stick which suited me fine. Carried on with alternate house / rare soul weekends until 94. After 16 years decided to take a break as I was having more fun at house clubs so hit it full time and what a ball I had, wouldn't replace a weekend of it.

Started doing the odd nighter / soul event again around 2000 and carried on that way up till now. Kept in touch with soul music though via phone calls from Kitch and Dean and the odd cd

Social source share

Guest laticsbluesmon

I'm in the same boat as Byrney still got my roots in Northern Soul, but the stuff thats come out of Detroit in the last 23 years by this i mean Techno is still rocking my boat, i still attend northern do's & dj-ed once a month until April at newcastle upon tynes St Doms until getting sacked by LETTER of Richie who runs it ' Just goes to show you cant beat Detroit for quality music,

Social source share

I met loads of characters I knew of the northern scene @ the Hac and assorted clubs around the north west, it was hard to resist really. Geoff Oakes, who's mentioned extensively in Dave Shaw's 'cassino', seemed to be like sting's 'Ace face' from quad in there, cept the Mohair suit was a Leather Chevy jacket and the lambretta exchanged for a white astra G.T.I. He went onto run start 'renaissance'.

I always went for the more soulful end though and got into seriosly spinning garage around 92, I still adore 'the Jersey sound' as well as ancient chicago jacks. In fact I'm having a great time going back through that stuff, obscure labels like 'on the move', 'high Bias' 'smoking', 'tuff' ect have some real gems if you really dig. One day, you never know, the soul crowd may truely embrace it as, uptempo, soulfull dance music. Hmmmh, wonder how many 'smoking pressed of each issue????????

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I'm in the same boat as Byrney still got my roots in Northern Soul, but the stuff thats come out of Detroit in the last 23 years by this i mean Techno is still rocking my boat, i still attend northern do's & dj-ed once a month until April at newcastle upon tynes St Doms until getting sacked by LETTER of Richie who runs it ' Just goes to show you cant beat Detroit for quality music,

It's Bruce from Preston isn't it. Bernie (Byrney) from notts here mate if it is mate. If its Bruce I last saw you at Shelly's decades ago.

Detroit techno is my second love after soul, UR, Red Planet, Atkins, May and Saunderson are the Guvnors.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I met loads of characters I knew of the northern scene @ the Hac and assorted clubs around the north west, it was hard to resist really. Geoff Oakes, who's mentioned extensively in Dave Shaw's 'cassino', seemed to be like sting's 'Ace face' from quad in there, cept the Mohair suit was a Leather Chevy jacket and the lambretta exchanged for a white astra G.T.I. He went onto run start 'renaissance'.

I always went for the more soulful end though and got into seriosly spinning garage around 92, I still adore 'the Jersey sound' as well as ancient chicago jacks. In fact I'm having a great time going back through that stuff, obscure labels like 'on the move', 'high Bias' 'smoking', 'tuff' ect have some real gems if you really dig. One day, you never know, the soul crowd may truely embrace it as, uptempo, soulfull dance music. Hmmmh, wonder how many 'smoking pressed of each issue????????

Was a regular at Rennaisance when at Mansfield venue 44 (also before that when it was Rob Marriotts soul venue Trotters and Stewarts).

In them day bought loads of Garagey stuff, Emotive, Strictly, Nu Groove etc. Never liked hardcore or really harder stuff but loved more intelligent tunes coming from Derrick May and his comrades.

Remember John Buck playing Mass Order Lift Every Voice in the northern room at one of Ady's Yarmouth weekenders , didn't go down too well mind ;)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

It's Bruce from Preston isn't it. Bernie (Byrney) from notts here mate if it is mate. If its Bruce I last saw you at Shelly's decades ago.

Detroit techno is my second love after soul, UR, Red Planet, Atkins, May and Saunderson are the Guvnors.

my favourite red planet stunning.

even the wife loves this track.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just about to give it up properly for the first time ever.

I've had a few absences before, but going to Jack it in for real this time. It's not the same anymore, doesn't Igive me a buzz these days. Too many played out do's together with "emperors new clothes" type stuff on the other side of the coin.

Social source share

Ever given up soul?

I just wondered if there's anyone 'out there' who has made a conscious decision to 'give up soul' (as in, going to events) and if so, how did you get on? / How did you handle Sat night telly? / Have you just had to come back? Etc. I find the Soul Scene 'all consuming' sometimes (Way of life / 'Right On' an' all that) but it can make one lose sight of other things in life if you're not careful thus becoming a 'Northern Soul Victim'. I mean, I felt slightly guilty for not supporting The Wilton the other week as I wanted to take my kids swimming - How absurd is that FFS?!!! One step back and I'm 'suitably embarrassed' for feeling that way.

Don't worry, this isn't a 'Mark Bicknell' "I'm retiring I tell you!" type thread (He he, how ya doing mate?) - I'd be interested in your views actually Mark.

I mean, what is it like to go 'Cold 'Soul' turkey'? I know a lot of you guys stopped going out when you had kids which was more than likely to do with lack of money at that stage of life and probably didn't give it much thought.

On a personal level, being involved in running events and D.Jing etc adds to it somewhat as you can imagine. I know I could cut back on all that but staying in every Sat night? - As my 'long suffering' wife, Nina often tells me - I would be like a 'Bear in a cage' and would somewhat annoy her!

I know the obvious answer is getting the balance right (Hang on, that rings a bell) but I am genuinely interested if 'giving up soul' (going to events) is actually 'humanly' possible!

By the way, you lot are the only people in the 'god damn' universe that could ever understand where the heck I'm coming from! J...The strange world of ....

Is this the first Soul-source personal advice thread? ...'Dear Mike'.....lol

All the best,never cross my mind len billy

Len.

Edited by billywhizz
Social source share

Just about to give it up properly for the first time ever.

I've had a few absences before, but going to Jack it in for real this time. It's not the same anymore, doesn't Igive me a buzz these days. Too many played out do's together with "emperors new clothes" type stuff on the other side of the coin.

See you in a couple of years Phil! :D:lol::D

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

See you in a couple of years Phil! :D:lol::D

Regards,

Dave

Love to. If it gets any better :)

Not giving up buying or listening. Just going out to do's.

I'm having my Swansong at Tadcaster on 26th

Edited by phild
Social source share

Was a regular at Rennaisance when at Mansfield venue 44 (also before that when it was Rob Marriotts soul venue Trotters and Stewarts).

In them day bought loads of Garagey stuff, Emotive, Strictly, Nu Groove etc. Never liked hardcore or really harder stuff but loved more intelligent tunes coming from Derrick May and his comrades.

Remember John Buck playing Mass Order Lift Every Voice in the northern room at one of Ady's Yarmouth weekenders , didn't go down too well mind ;)

Mass order is an imense tune and at that time seriously hard to get, I wnet to one, just one, nighter around that time at congleton, run by the irepressible Mr Beggs I believe, and the scotts crew were there spinning soulsful garage, including a track by Martelle on clubhouse records.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Think i was there G, might have been Alan Walls who had the courage to play garage amongst his 60s stuff.

Mass Order in big demand on white label at the time which the story was that the cuts were from stolen tapes from the New Music Seminar. Different take from the issue.

Social source share

All I know is I'll be doing the dishes and the Four Tops will come on the radio and I've got happy feet. Stepping about in my socks. I blame Holland Dozier Holland. That said, as long as my legs work, we dancing. And Kylee you can have ten kids, but we still dancing. :yes:

Social source share

Think i was there G, might have been Alan Walls who had the courage to play garage amongst his 60s stuff.

Mass Order in big demand on white label at the time which the story was that the cuts were from stolen tapes from the New Music Seminar. Different take from the issue.

It did come out on US columbia eventually, Ive got one, but that booty's the one to have, I remember the tale from the time, Parksey Hammered too @ the Hac, summer 91, class year for house tunes.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

dave this is the other dylan pre deep soul its a different world...... :D

I used to love this type of stuff and have lots of fond memories.

Don't tell there's two of ya ..... OMFG

A marvel you got any memory left mate. What few brain cells I have left were in rapid meltdown after 2 minutes. :D

Social source share

Guest laticsbluesmon

oreet bernie yes its the same daft cabbage Bruce;Have had the pleasure of working with Juan Atkins top man, Derrick May, Todd Terry, Jack master Farley ,lil Louie,Vega' Kenny Dope [Masters At Work] Dave Angel, DJ Angel to name a few [boasting or what ha ha ] tell you some good laughs we've had doing the sound systems like our lass getting Jack Master Farley wrapping cables at the end of gigs ha ha catch you later
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!