Ian Levine ' Solid Soul Sensations' April Podcast Now Up

Pete S

PLEASE NOTE I AM JUST COPYING AND PASTING THIS ON BEHALF OF IAN, THE CONTENT OF THIS POST WAS WRITTEN BY IAN AND NOT MYSELF, JUST NEED TO MAKE THAT CLEAR. IF THE POST IS LOCKED, IT'S BEEN LOCKED BY ME, NOT THE SITE.

Here it is, my dear friends. The amazing scintillating best ever podcast, the fourth one, and this is for April 2012.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-4

And then when you fall in love so deeply with the music, go back and listen to the first one that started it all.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-podcast

And then go back and listen to the second one, from my February Solar Radio show

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations

And then love and adore the brilliant third one, from March 2012

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-3

That's a total of TWELVE HOURS of the best music from me, Ian Levine. And all different. And all free.

What more could you ask from life ?? This is music to tingle your spine, to enthral your senses, to drown yourself in soulful emotion. Now you can hear it, download it and treasure it forever and hopefully love the music as I do.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Some really nice tracks on that podcast i listend at work so it was in the background but the ones i did catch i liked for sure.so ill take another listen one night this week :wink:

Social source share

I said this before but he has a good radio voice. I listened to the first half hour and overall the quality was better than the first one I listened to. There were still some White pop things that i skipped over and a few weak tracks. I couldn't resist leaving a smartass comment though. There are a lot of good silver Bell records, those were actually some weaker choices IMO.

Social source share

Mizax And The Flizaps - "Test Me" ABC

This is Max Kidd of Shrine / Enjoyables fame on vocals!

yeah, and the other side is a vietnam song.

the "mizax" is actually the snoop dogg speak, it predates snoop dogg. That's what the lost generation "talking the teenage language" is about.

max kidd is that crazy seller on ebay "nebraskablack" that for some reason sells (or at least lists) mostly steeltown stock.

Social source share

Eloise Laws was a big modern spin as a new release. Played all over the place by everyone who went to their local shop and got one.

A very good record, but well known I'd say and certainly not rare.

Quoting my own post now, but I didn't realise.....Ian played Eloise Laws off a 7". :ohmy: :ohmy: I mistakenly thought it was album only.....so another one to look out for, since I like 7s :yes: ....Steve

Social source share

Quoting my own post now, but I didn't realise.....Ian played Eloise Laws off a 7". :ohmy: :ohmy: I mistakenly thought it was album only.....so another one to look out for, since I like 7s :yes: ....Steve

It was released in a picture sleeve on a 7", from memory she was looking really good on the pic. It shouldn't be a hard one to pick up.

It sounds a bit 'sweet and sickly' to my ears now!

Social source share

From Ian Levine

Dear Flanny

So most soul fans know Mizax and the Flizaps, Curt Darin, Clarence Yarbrough, Donald Height on Bell, Robert Taylor and the H.P.J.s, the Three Prophets, Renaud Plus Three, and especially The Significants, do they ??

You're living in Cloud Cuckoo land.

Social source share

From Ian Levine

Dear Flanny

So most soul fans know Mizax and the Flizaps, Curt Darin, Clarence Yarbrough, Donald Height on Bell, Robert Taylor and the H.P.J.s, the Three Prophets, Renaud Plus Three, and especially The Significants, do they ??

That's not exactly what he's said is it, certainly not in his ''open letter to Flanny''.

Social source share

That's not exactly what he's said is it, certainly not in his ''open letter to Flanny''.

No idea, he said to me will you post something if I email it to you, I said yes, that is exactly what he emailed.

If you're referring to facebook goings on - not seen it, not interested in getting involved in anything.

Just posting a message.

Social source share

No idea, he said to me will you post something if I email it to you, I said yes, that is exactly what he emailed.

If you're referring to facebook goings on - not seen it, not interested in getting involved in anything.

Just posting a message.

Oh well, at least he 'toned it down' for soul source.

Being totally honest, I don't see why he has a voice on here, he's banned and never has a good word to say about soul source anyway, just my personal opinion by the way.

Social source share

From Ian Levine

Dear Flanny

no need for him to go on a social network and use offensive language. typical of someone with an over inflated ego

if you read my posts properly i was critisizing his use of pop songs padded out with half decent soul records giving some credit and yes most people half decent Soul fans in the know should know Curt Darin and tell the master of bull to flip the Significants which for me is a better side.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You called his podcast shit Flanny :lol:

let he who casts the first stone etc etc

if your really into the SOUL mainley of black america ingrained from years of suffering and opression, then when you listen to pop records with no soul vocal content it turns me cold SORRY even though and repeating myself there was a sprinkling off half decent Soul records.

problem is when you put yourelf on a pedestal like Mr Levine you have to be on the money with your choices 100% you have accept the kudos as well as a

slating

problem with a lot of people is they are yes men and think Mr Levine is the emporers new clothes

I was aiming the word shizer at the pop records thats all.

i'm not having a pop at anyone difference of opinion end of the matter.................

Social source share

I have listened to all the podcasts Ian has posted and whilst some of his choices are not to my taste,they are exactly that, HIS choices.

I am astounded that some people see a need to condemn the choices of others. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, whether that is right or wrong is merely a matter of perspective.

I have enjoyed our music in it's many forms, and on balance, have a lot to thank Ian Levine for. The fact that he is "Banned" is quite immature.

I thought we were all grown ups here. It seems I was wrong.

Social source share

no need for him to go on a social network and use offensive language. typical of someone with an over inflated ego

if you read my posts properly i was critisizing his use of pop songs padded out with half decent soul records giving some credit and yes most people half decent Soul fans in the know should know Curt Darin and tell the master of bull to flip the Significants which for me is a better side.

Well I didn't know the Curt Darin track, and resent the implication that I'm not even a half decent soul fan just because I hadn't heard it!

Even though I agree a lot of the tracks are... errr.... dross....., but that's still a matter of personal preference, and I wouldn't tell anybody they weren't a proper soul fan because I knew some of the tracks and they didn't, or because they liked some of the tracks I didn't!

No one knows everything, and tastes differ too!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Well I didn't know the Curt Darin track, and resent the implication that I'm not even a half decent soul fan just because I hadn't heard it!

Even though I agree a lot of the tracks are... errr.... dross....., but that's still a matter of personal preference, and I wouldn't tell anybody they weren't a proper soul fan because I knew some of the tracks and they didn't, or because they liked some of the tracks I didn't!

No one knows everything, and tastes differ too!

sorry what i should of wrote is most modern crossover fans mainley should know it not having a go at anyone from any soul genre and as you yourself stated some of it was as you qouted ...errr.... dross!.....

and no no one knows everthing, thats the exciting part of our music we are learning every day but the level of pupils ability is only as good as the teachers knowledge .................. just watch out he doesnt slate you with foul abusive language as he did with me :ohmy: ........... thanks for your observations

Social source share

we are learning every day but the level of pupils ability is only as good as the teachers knowledge

I can see that both you and Ian have, what could be called "differences of opinion". That in itself is no bad thing. Your views are no more, or indeed less relevant than his, however he is denied this platform to respond to your criticism.

Please do not infer that Ian has no knowledge of soul music. That is just insulting and rightly belongs back in the playground.

That said, I would indeed be pleased to listen, with respect, to any podcast you may like to post. I have an open mind, across the board policy when it comes to soul music.

KTF

Social source share

I used to play Eloise 'If You Don't Watch Out' on a 45. Still have it. Nice pic sleeve too!

It's an old Bell / Creed number originally recorded on the Stylistics, which is also quite nice and can be found on the flip of 'Peek A Boo' UK AVCO.

Worth a listen.

Also, Peter, you might remember Eloise Laws '1,000 Laughs' on ABC, I used to play at Cleggy, after Mary Chapman gave me a copy, saying 'dedicated to all those who 'used' to be on the Northern Soul scene'.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

if your really into the SOUL mainley of black america ingrained from years of suffering and opression, then when you listen to pop records with no soul vocal content it turns me cold SORRY even though and repeating myself there was a sprinkling off half decent Soul records.

problem is when you put yourelf on a pedestal like Mr Levine you have to be on the money with your choices 100% you have accept the kudos as well as a

slating

problem with a lot of people is they are yes men and think Mr Levine is the emporers new clothes

i'm not having a pop at anyone difference of opinion end of the matter.................

But it's different strokes mate, me for instance, I love 60's pop music but I also love 60's soul music - so when they are both combined together, I love that as well, which is why I don't dimiss the UK Northern things like a lot of other people do - I love 'em. I'm not on a soul crusade, I just like what I like. I didn't like half the records on Ian's podcast because they are modern or crossover, that's just my preference...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to play Eloise 'If You Don't Watch Out' on a 45. Still have it. Nice pic sleeve too!

It's an old Bell / Creed number originally recorded on the Stylistics, which is also quite nice and can be found on the flip of 'Peek A Boo' UK AVCO.

Worth a listen.

Also, Peter, you might remember Eloise Laws '1,000 Laughs' on ABC, I used to play at Cleggy, after Mary Chapman gave me a copy, saying 'dedicated to all those who 'used' to be on the Northern Soul scene'.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Hows about this one then...for a change

Social source share

slating

Why use the word "Shizer" then Flanny - Its not very nice at all!

You could have been musically critical with your language "Shizer" has no bearing on music at all and has been used in racist perspectives in the past!

I dont get this about Black suffering and oppression being a major influence on the music Protest songs have been put forward by all colours & creeds.For every Black protest record I could mention one with lyrics that sing about Love and desire! Tell me in your youth Flanny you never danced to Condition red/Supertine/Ronas theme/ The Magnificent men and I could go on forever!

Its Ians Choices as said - I didnt like them all but If I was criticising his choices I would have a better argument and use better words than Shizer! Just my opinion and Im not sticking up for Ian

Social source share

Oh well, at least he 'toned it down' for soul source.

Being totally honest, I don't see why he has a voice on here, he's banned and never has a good word to say about soul source anyway, just my personal opinion by the way.

Win, I actually asked Mike permission to post this on here and he ok'd it.

Social source share

But it's different strokes mate, me for instance, I love 60's pop music but I also love 60's soul music - so when they are both combined together, I love that as well, which is why I don't dimiss the UK Northern things like a lot of other people do - I love 'em. I'm not on a soul crusade, I just like what I like. I didn't like half the records on Ian's podcast because they are modern or crossover, that's just my preference...

touche ....... shame cos they wer the ones I liked and have a lot of them in my collection and scattered around

i'll have to rescue them now as Ian will have put a nought on em all :shhh:

Social source share

Why use the word "Shizer" then Flanny - Its not very nice at all!

You could have been musically critical with your language "Shizer" has no bearing on music at all and has been used in racist perspectives in the past!

I dont get this about Black suffering and oppression being a major influence on the music Protest songs have been put forward by all colours & creeds.For every Black protest record I could mention one with lyrics that sing about Love and desire! Tell me in your youth Flanny you never danced to Condition red/Supertine/Ronas theme/ The Magnificent men and I could go on forever!

Its Ians Choices as said - I didnt like them all but If I was criticising his choices I would have a better argument and use better words than Shizer! Just my opinion and Im not sticking up for Ian

that was then this is now we were young and impressionable. times change with education...and less drugs, as ive said before i disliked the pop element of the show thats all.. as I prefer the sound of a soulful voice thats all. there were some decent tunes played on the show as ive already said on several occasions

............. this is the last time I will post on this thread as it.s wearing me out

as one of the records he played................ Jesse Lopez said its not a dream its a nightmare

TICK TOCK :sleep3:

Social source share

Hold the phone Flanny and in the interest of fairness..... :ohmy:

Loads of people post up playlists on here, and often all sorts of old tosh gets played. No one ever criticises any of it, and usually a bunch of mates come on and say how good it all is.

Then Pete mentions there's a Levine podcast up, no playlist, just a link - and all of a sudden it's open house to disect every record and start hurling negativity around (Curt Darin, Eloise Laws "half decent" hmmm).

If you are going to be an arbiter of what's good and what isn't then I'd like to see you also tearing into a few other playlists on here as well m8...... :yes: Afterall no one is forcing you to listen.

My last post on the topic too.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!