Thanks DB

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 38
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Interesting thing about the Tommy Quickly is that it's definitely a cover of the Jimmy Hughes version as opposed to a cover of The Tams: the arrangement is practically a carbon copy. Derrick Harriot's on the other hand seems to be a cover of The Tams.

I've never heard (writer) Tommy Roe's version, which according to youtube was issued in the UK on HMV (ABC Paramount in the US?).

All of this doesn't help Doctor Bird to get a copy but I got one pretty quickly after putting a want for it on here in the topic on the Ace/Fame Record Day box set.

Social source share

Interesting thing about the Tommy Quickly is that it's definitely a cover of the Jimmy Hughes version as opposed to a cover of The Tams: the arrangement is practically a carbon copy. Derrick Harriot's on the other hand seems to be a cover of The Tams.

I've never heard (writer) Tommy Roe's version, which according to youtube was issued in the UK on HMV (ABC Paramount in the US?).

All of this doesn't help Doctor Bird to get a copy but I got one pretty quickly after putting a want for it on here in the topic on the Ace/Fame Record Day box set.

I've not heard the Tommy Roe version either. Wonder how it compares?

Social source share

Guest Doctor Bird

but I got one pretty quickly after putting a want for it on here in the topic on the Ace/Fame Record Day box set.

how much did you pay for it, you can PM me if you want

Social source share

Steal Away was also distributed by Vee Jay. I cant remember a mention of the distributors on the releases after this until June Conquests Tollie distributed demo of Almost Persuaded (not seen an issue of that one), but the multicoloured release doesnt mention a distributer. I think Vee Jay took up distributing Goldwax about the time Fame changed distribution, maybe they thought distributing Goldwax was more of a money maker than distributing Fame.

Social source share

Thanks for the scan of the issue Mr Shoals.

There are about a dozen VeeJay-distributed Fame singles. All the early ones until the first Atco-distributed 45, Jimmy Hughes' Midnight Affair, have VeeJay numbers. From then on the singles are Atlantic-Atco until Candi Staton's Old Man's Sweetheart, the first Capitol distributed number.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tommy Roe's version is very good, too. Should be, as he wrote it.

Came out here in the UK on HMV and in the US on ABC

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone ever seen this UK HMV copy?

Me, everytime I go through my HMV singles. I've had a nice R&W demo for several decades, mate ....

Social source share

Me, everytime I go through my HMV singles. I've had a nice R&W demo for several decades, mate ....

Wonder if it actually got released? Plus, can't find it in the US ABC / ABC Paramount listings? :(

I knew he wrote it Tone but I read somewhere that he didn't bother to record it himself. Obviously, that was wrong. :huh:

A scan and sound file would be absolutely wonderful if at all possible? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wonder if it actually got released? Plus, can't find it in the US ABC / ABC Paramount listings? :(

I knew he wrote it Tone but I read somewhere that he didn't bother to record it himself. Obviously, that was wrong. :huh:

A scan and sound file would be absolutely wonderful if at all possible? :thumbsup:

Maybe it didn't get a US release, Den. Tommy had a couple of earlier singles issued over here that didn't come out as singles in the US, this could well be another.

I knew his version before I knew any other version besides Derrick Harriott's (which I knew long before I found out it was not an original). Until I heard Jimmy Hughes' Tommy's was my favourite version, too. But I confess I like all of 'em, it's a hard song to mess up...

Social source share

Maybe it didn't get a US release, Den. Tommy had a couple of earlier singles issued over here that didn't come out as singles in the US, this could well be another.

I knew his version before I knew any other version besides Derrick Harriott's (which I knew long before I found out it was not an original). Until I heard Jimmy Hughes' Tommy's was my favourite version, too. But I confess I like all of 'em, it's a hard song to mess up...

Having not heard the Tommy Roe 'original', my favourite is definitely the Jimmy Hughes. But I'd love to hear Tommy Roe's rendition. :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No sign of it on any US ABC Paramount discography, and no missing numbers around the point where it might have come out, so it looks like UK only (unless issued in any other non-US country besides ours, of course!

Social source share

No sign of it on any US ABC Paramount discography, and no missing numbers around the point where it might have come out, so it looks like UK only (unless issued in any other non-US country besides ours, of course!

How about ABC's Dot Records

ABC's Dunhill

ABC's Impulse

ABC's Apt

ABC's Tangerine

None of these subsidiaries either?

I have no reason to suspect it would be but you never know.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How about ABC's Dot Records

ABC's Dunhill

ABC's Impulse

ABC's Apt

ABC's Tangerine

None of these subsidiaries either?

I have no reason to suspect it would be but you never know.

...I do know, and it didn't! :D :D :D

Social source share