Would I Be Shot For Requesting = Mercy By Duffy

Guest mikeyof

I sure hope i've put this in the right place.

I have put my tin hat on and borrowed a suit of armour - anyway here goes.

I sometimes wonder if in order to get more people into the scene so venue's don't die out before we are 70 if new tracks should be introduced. What constitutes Northern Soul seems to be almost undefinable. Anyway I see 'Mercy' by Duffy is on vinyl and since the video clearly shows the very best Northern Soul dancing going on to it - would it be acceptable to play it at a Northern Soul venue.

I get the impression that anything after 1973 is thought of as not northern soul and perhaps would be sacrilege to play it. Since Northern queue dos seems to be owning unfound limited editions oldies. I wonder if I bought 'Mercy' on vinyl and asked a Dj to play it:

1.would they play it?

2.would they smash it over my head?

3.would it cause a riot?

There must be more newstuff that could be construed as northern soul but I wonder if it would open the doors to spotty faced thugs that like to go out for a punch up. Have to say when I've been out at Northern Soul do's it's refreshing to be amongst people who aren't swearing with every other word.

Light touch paper and retire!

Edited by mikeyof
Social source share

The problem with Mercy, is that it got to number 1 in the pop charts, which rather defeats the object of having rare soul nights. It actually WAS played by some venues as it was making it's way up the charts, but I don't think it could or should get played now. Just my opinion.

Social source share

i dont think it should be played at the venues that people on here usualy frequent . Am sure it has its place in lots of other clubs

for the public in general .I personaly wouldnt want to hear it , as her extreme high pitched voice goes through me like hot needles

but thats just me !

by all means request it , i know i have just to wind the dj,s up ! as light hearted banter of course , i would hate them to think i was

serious ! :wink:

ps ..i wasnt serious , no! really

Social source share

Guest Sharon H

shaz , i think you should request said Duffy record on your weekend outing ..... :yes::wicked: x

Are you saying you would like to see me shot steve ? :(:ohmy:

To be honest it wouldnt be out of place where I'm going on Saturday .....youngest daughters engagement party :D:wink: .....x

Social source share

Are you saying you would like to see me shot steve ? :(:ohmy:

To be honest it wouldnt be out of place where I'm going on Saturday .....youngest daughters engagement party :D:wink: .....x

absolutely.....take aim .......not ! ....would ......load! .....hate ..for that to happen ......FIRE!!!!....

Social source share

Stevie.T I don't know if I've upset you or not because I can never tell if your talking with your tongue in your cheek or not. All I know is I don't really know how to use this site properly and I would love to have some kind of link that automatically puts every morsel of wit you put on this site into my inbox. Everytime I read youre ditties I fall about laughing its such great medicine. I have to say the duffy advert was like 'nails down a blackboard'.

I think after my 'mercy' posting I better start wearing a mask when I am out perhaps a 'V' one or one that make s you look 'better?' like lightwatersoul. (UUUUUUUUUUU I've upset somebody else).

Great too hear ShazzC again I thought she had disowned me, (hang on a minute - didn't she say she wants me shot!) . Anyway should be out this saturday with a temporary dance partner, she looks like Fatima Whitebread but twice as big. Sounds like I will need her to protect me as well. cheerybye friends

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stevie.T I don't know if I've upset you or not because I can never tell if your talking with your tongue in your cheek or not. All I know is I don't really know how to use this site properly and I would love to have some kind of link that automatically puts every morsel of wit you put on this site into my inbox. Everytime I read youre ditties I fall about laughing its such great medicine. I have to say the duffy advert was like 'nails down a blackboard'.

I think after my 'mercy' posting I better start wearing a mask when I am out perhaps a 'V' one or one that make s you look 'better?' like lightwatersoul. (UUUUUUUUUUU I've upset somebody else).

Great too hear ShazzC again I thought she had disowned me, (hang on a minute - didn't she say she wants me shot!) . Anyway should be out this saturday with a temporary dance partner, she looks like Fatima Whitebread but twice as big. Sounds like I will need her to protect me as well. cheerybye friends

always tongue in cheek , always , could never be any other . Hope you get your self to more of the do,s and enjoy.......but dont ask for duffy ! :D .....should have just said that but if there a bush to beat around i will ... :hatsoff2:

ill get me coat

ps forgot to add , hope you and miss whitbread have a great night , she wont be bringing anything sharp with her

will she ?

Edited by Stevie.T
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well perhaps I might buy it as it will obviously disappear over time and I do have my own 'new' deck. But I don't know if I will ever have a sufficient number of friends and a venue who would be brave enough to play it to not to get lynched. I only put it out there as a bit of mischief but perhaps since the scene is shrinking maybe fresh ideas might keep it going for the benefit of all of us.

Very, very, very hurt that the first person to be my friend on the site ShazzC is at the head of the queue to pull the trigger, and other fellow time travellers want to hang, draw and quarter me.

I must admit though I have a gift in wooden spooning, I could start a war in a silent Monastery. But some of the wags (no-not wives and girl friends) out there might enjoy a leg pull.

I really do appreciate that Northern Soul is not a liking it is a religion, and I will keep the faith, though I do like to be a bit naughty at times, its a spice of life!

Edited by mikeyof
Social source share

Guest Sharon H

Run.... Mike run..... :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Good luck on Saturday ....if you ask for it , please let me know what reaction you got :wink: . Like Gogs says , this had a good reaction at some places back in 2008 but is far too commercial now IMO .

Social source share

The question many people ask themselves is 'does it have a place alongside X, Y, Z records?'. Would it be incongruous for whatever reason? Many good Soul records were spurned in the 70s simply because they were deemed 'commercial chart fodder' or simply because the divs would be dancing to it on a Saturday night at 'Annabelles' nitespot. Of course, there was no way that records like Young Hearts Run Free, Love Machine, Car Wash etc were ever going to be enjoyed solely by the select few. I personally think that Duffy doesn't fit into a northern/rare soul context. I might be wrong.

Social source share

I agree with Pete S for the reason he states!

Now if we use this anaolgy of being a considerable hit as to why we wont play a certain record on the rare soul scene (Which I have to say Im definately in favour of as stated) Then I have seen playlists with Tony Etoria - Prove it on them. This was also an extensive UK hit

Social source share

Ok to play at weddings etc.As stand alone record,not bad.Duffy's an ok singer,prefer her Dad's early work.

TBH,this question as been asked before on here.Remember when it got an airing at Homes Chapel..........

The question is..why play this at a NS etc event when there's so much more that fits the remit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sharon H

Well perhaps I might buy it as it will obviously disappear over time and I do have my own 'new' deck. But I don't know if I will ever have a sufficient number of friends and a venue who would be brave enough to play it to not to get lynched. I only put it out there as a bit of mischief but perhaps since the scene is shrinking maybe fresh ideas might keep it going for the benefit of all of us.

Very, very, very hurt that the first person to be my friend on the site ShazzC is at the head of the queue to pull the trigger, and other fellow time travellers want to hang, draw and quarter me.

I must admit though I have a gift in wooden spooning, I could start a war in a silent Monastery. But some of the wags (no-not wives and girl friends) out there might enjoy a leg pull.

I really do appreciate that Northern Soul is not a liking it is a religion, and I will keep the faith, though I do like to be a bit naughty at times, its a spice of life!

Mike , you have posted a topic on here and I am afraid this leaves you wide open for opinions to be posted , some you may like and others you may not .

I may have offered you some advice as a new member but "your friend " is a bit of an overstatement I'm afraid as I do not know you ...we only spoke very briefly at a recent venue .

I wish you all the best on your return to the scene . :thumbsup:

Shaz

x

Social source share

I sure hope i've put this in the right place.

I have put my tin hat on and borrowed a suit of armour - anyway here goes.

I sometimes wonder if in order to get more people into the scene so venue's don't die out before we are 70 if new tracks should be introduced. What constitutes Northern Soul seems to be almost undefinable. Anyway I see 'Mercy' by Duffy is on vinyl and since the video clearly shows the very best Northern Soul dancing going on to it - would it be acceptable to play it at a Northern Soul venue.

I get the impression that anything after 1973 is thought of as not northern soul and perhaps would be sacrilege to play it. Since Northern queue dos seems to be owning unfound limited editions oldies. I wonder if I bought 'Mercy' on vinyl and asked a Dj to play it:

1.would they play it?

2.would they smash it over my head?

3.would it cause a riot?

There must be more newstuff that could be construed as northern soul but I wonder if it would open the doors to spotty faced thugs that like to go out for a punch up. Have to say when I've been out at Northern Soul do's it's refreshing to be amongst people who aren't swearing with every other word.

Light touch paper and retire!

whats the score with asking stuff like this

one minute you say you know nothing about northern and have just discovered 45s such as tainted love

next you are posting up questions like this, digs at the moderation and bragging about how mischevous you are

sorry but this aint no playground

if you are serious about getting into northern then suggest you step more lightly and drop these sort of posts

if rather not then try somewhere else

• Helpful 1
Social source share

whats the score with asking stuff like this

one minute you say you know nothing about northern and have just discovered 45s such as tainted love

next you are posting up questions like this, digs at the moderation and bragging about how mischevous you are

sorry but this aint no playground

if you are serious about getting into northern then suggest you step more lightly and drop these sort of posts

if rather not then try somewhere else

well said.

Social source share

i see where your coming from , a clean shot from a book depository window , to the head ! that would do it

look what happened JFK for asking for a shit record ....that will teach ya !

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of something like death by a thousand cuts would be more appropriate

Social source share

now this reminds me of the time.....

i was asked to dj at a venue (wont disclose but no longer running.....) knowing this was a out n out "oldies" venue

i packed a small box of what i thought would go down well, jerry cook, bobby sheen, sharpettes, silky hargraves,

shane martin, chapter five etc (OVO of course) well played my hours spot to mostly a empty dancefloor with the local

beer towel, hodall, baggy trouser, patches brigade, looking on in dispare most probably thinking i was playing aload

of unknowns.... well was glad to get off the stage to be replaced by the local baggy trouser 1000 box of bootlegs look

at me dj, well you may guess were this is leading the first record he pulls out is YES MERCY to YES A FULL DANCEFLOOR!!!

and they were seroius clapping when the record finished, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

sorry answer to your question - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

A sweet little pop record, but what the f*ck has it got to do with northern soul then? WHy would you even want to hear it when there are so many better records, unless of course you are a complete divvie or a wind up merchant.....:yes:

steve, read my post lol "complete divvies or wind up merchants"
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The problem with Mercy, is that it got to number 1 in the pop charts, which rather defeats the object of having rare soul nights. It actually WAS played by some venues as it was making it's way up the charts, but I don't think it could or should get played now. Just my opinion.

The other problem with 'Mercy' is it's not very good

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do think the threadstarter is being a mischief and on un grand wind up. Yesterday it was "Why do no DJs carry '6x6' in their box anymore?" and today it's "Duffy".

His next thread will be "Is it ok to play pressings in a club?". :yes:

That will be followed by "I can still fit into my Spencers baggies - should i wear them out?

:lol::thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I do think the threadstarter is being a mischief and on un grand wind up. Yesterday it was "Why do no DJs carry '6x6' in their box anymore?" and today it's "Duffy".

His next thread will be "Is it ok to play pressings in a club?". :yes:

That will be followed by "I can still fit into my Spencers baggies - should i wear them out?

:lol::thumbsup:

If I remember his intro correctly, he's pre spencers and baggies, he left the 'spin and drop' scene in 72? The whole thing feels like a wind up, but the threads had nearly 40 replies :) Steve do you happen to have the Jo Boxers in your box................ :)

Social source share

dear mikeyof.....i choose to wear a mask because i asked for mercy at a soul night....what was done to me by the dj i asked is beyond words and the terrible damage inflicted on me should not be seen by anybody

atb moldie

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

If I remember his intro correctly, he's pre spencers and baggies, he left the 'spin and drop' scene in 72? The whole thing feels like a wind up, but the threads had nearly 40 replies :) Steve do you happen to have the Jo Boxers in your box................ :)

I wonder if this is the same guy who wanted to be a DJ with his box of pressings and boots ?
Social source share

Wow I've heard of you've been Tango'd but I think I've been Troll'd. I will try my very utmost not to make a posting again and leave it to the people with 'Strong' views. Love the comment about we should talk to each other, when we are dead we can't do that and being Irish talking is a national treasure, apparently it is the most profitable mobile phone country in the world, even though most poor souls there are bankrupt and masses are in danger of loosing their family homes.

My wife hates the internet but, it can do good.

Edited by mikeyof
Social source share