Mr Manships Auction Results 25-4-2012

7009sm.jpg
Contemplations

Alone With No Love Vocal & Instrumental

The original first release of Rock Candy - Alone With No Love - Dontee 103 with the bonus of an stomping instrumental B-side.

Heavy-duty vinyl from 1969 credited to a wonderfully christened "Contemplations" so much more in keeping with the other treasures filed in your collection.

A Baltimore rarity that seldom comes to market - solid proper-vocal-group Northern Soul with two flaw-free label - vinyl that only reveals a few brief surface brushes. Sound-file as always lifted directly off this disc.

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was
£ 361.00
7018sm.jpg

Dynells

Call On Me C/w Movin' On

Take a minute or two to bathe your ears in vocal-group brilliance. A lilting guitar intro gives way to a highly pitched lead vocal completely in tune with the "answering" horns and perfectly honed girl-chorus, which climbs and climbs to a pitch you think the lead will shy at - but no - he's there waling even harder.

This is wonderful stuff, that so rarely comes to market - A Kenny Gamble &Leon Huff Philadelphia stepping-stone to worldwide fame.

This 625 West Thompson Street offspring is of course the rare & very first 1967 issue before it's much-sought-after Atco 6638 release. The Vent 45 also carries the bonus of an instrumental flipside.

The winning bid was £ 311.00

7010sm.jpg

Keith Curtiss

I Got To Keep You Baby C/w My Love I Can't Hide

You are about to hear why George Blackwell is considered Northern Soul royalty!

Everything this New Jersey Soul-God was involved with ran against the commercial tide, crafting the finest possible soul recordings with the most-powerfully constructed productions that just scream everything real-deal Northern Soul stands for.

Just view the scan - then take a deep breath, then click the soundfile and be prepared to be MOVED!

Rarity? don't even think about it...

The winning bid was £ 1,415.00

7011sm.jpg

Harvey & The Phenomenals

What Can I Do (to Prove My Love Is Real) C/w Soul & Sunshine

Oh so street-level and then some..

Top side is thoroughly sumptuous vocal-group-harmony sweet soul-stepper of the smoothest kind..

Flip is a statement of we're not just lovers - Harvey & team get be warriors too.. as they serve notice with a brass driven act of defiance & attitude..

So contrasting but of so good...

The winning bid was
£ 158.00
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7015sm.jpg

Chandlers

Your Love Makes Me Lonely C/w I Need Your Love

Need a shaving mirror? The playing surface of this Northern Soul delight could be used as one. Totally immaculate, not a blemish, flipside and both labels to match.

Wanna collect Northern Soul timeless classic in perfect condition - this Columbus, Ohio masterpiece is exactly that!

The winning bid was £ 436.00

7007sm.jpg

Carl Henry Hall

Summertime C/w Let Me Down Slowly

Several "Soul" artists have covered this 1935 Ira & George Gershwin classic from "The Porgy & Bess" opera. Billy Stewart & Clea Bradford did this iconic song breathtakingly well.

But take a listen to this 1965 New Jersey session from the excruciatingly expressive vocal of Carl Hall.

Popcorn meets Jazz meets Northern Soul. Click the sound-file an outrageous vocal takes you on an indescribable trip to Down N' Dirty turntable heaven!

The highly gifted Gene Redd "Carstairs - It really Hurts Me Girl etc. etc. carves out a brass surround for Carl's uncontrollable voice to go wild within. If the a-side is not enough to floor you - the flip is nearly as compelling!

Little wonder the demand for this elusive gem - has swelled to bursting point in recent times.

AWESOME is a word that accurately covers Carl's performances...don'tcha think?

The winning bid was £ 84.00

7004sm.jpg

Sherri Taylor

He's The One That Rings My Bell

Haunting Detroit R&B screamer from the desk of Berry Gordy's former writing partner Roquel "Billy" Davis.

Compelling early 60s Sister R&B groove that just ripples with sassy big-gal passion. This lady is having her "bell rung" and how, as she swings into action flitting in and out of Paul Ciranni's brass steered production.

Sherri's sharp tongued vocal sits perfectly on a wave of stident girl-group coo's and arrhh's. The whole session just oozes hipshakin' feel-good energy, then the compulsory Detroit SAX BREAK welds the whole thing into a galvanized floor-destroyer!

Too much! and this copy is MINT!

The winning bid was £ 508.00

7014sm.jpg

Marvells

This Can't Go On

You are viewing and about to hear Girl-group Northern Soul of the rarest possible kind!

YOREY = Bob Yorey the man behind all those unparalleled girl-group sessions by The Glories - on Date - this ridiculously RARE 45 pre-dates that. But carries the same uplifting vocal delivery and Bob Yorey's penchant for the soaring vocals weaving through a piano & brass driven production.

Whether you be a Northern Soul archeologist or a girl group devotee. This thought provoking 45 is our very first ever copy and so very unlikely to be seen by us again.

Now That's What I Call a Rare "1"

The winning bid was
£ 184.00
Social source share

7013sm.jpg

James Brown

Money Won't Change You Part 1 & 2

Click the soundfile and prepare to witness SOUL's greatest contributor, let loose with a blitz of intoxicating horns with the indomitable James Brown's snarling vocal presenting the evidence that...

• "Money Won't Change You - but TIME will take OUT"

Only J.B. could deliver that message in this way. A totally explosive performance that has recently made a big comeback on the Northern Soul turntable. With the likes of Soul Sam dropping it into his funk-peppered sets; this record is only going one way.

Before you today is the incredibly rare 1966 UK DEMO copy. Listen again and ask yourself how do you want to own a copy? on the blue USA King or as this so-seldom-seen vision of beauty.

Silly question that...

The winning bid was £ 91.00

7006sm.jpg

Shalimars

Stop And Take A Look At Yourself C/w Baby

When the legendary Bradford Market vinyl 45 hoard was discovered in 1970 it was a turning point for the burgeoning English Soul-Club scene.

Just a ton of great 45s left that city to Stoke On Trent & Blackpool to bolster the play lists of all the top DJ's of the time. When you consider Soul Sam &Keith Minshall were not the first to feast there, and they found an armful of Salvador's - Stick By Me Baby - the significance & depth of this vinyl treasure trove becomes obvious.

Over night as the MGM/Verve spillage hit The Blackpool Mecca, The Torch etc. The Superiors - What Would I Do, The Tymes - What Would I Do!, Righteous Bros Band - Rat Rare and this listing by The Shalimars were set to become timeless Northern Soul classics..as was Alice Clark - You Hit Me - also born from that load.

But how often does this 45 in 2012 appear in PERFECT condition of the BLUESTOCK copy? It's a timeless piece and one which will set the STOCK copy fans thinking.

Two killer Northern Soul sides but that's what you'd expect when J. J.Jackson, Sidney Barnes & Hal Wess jostle for space in the studio.

The winning bid was £ 58.00

7019sm.jpg

Hitsville Usa Volume 1 Edition 4

April 1965 Edition

Dear Swinger & Friend, here's edition 4 retains the always discarded "Soul Poll" request reminder.

It's April 1965 and this edition is in praise of the recent MOTOWN REVUEBritish tour. Includes a letter from Bristol how sensational the show was but how disappointing the attendance was; in fact most all shows were surprisingly poorly attended.

Back page is a full length "Brenda Holloway" pic, center page article and pics of the Four Tops, two page article of Jr. Walker & All Stars with pic. other artist pics include Marvelettes, Barbara Lynn, Kim Weston etc.

This fanzine is without question the definitive insight into Motown's embryonic rise to cult-status in England reignited by this legendary tour. We doubt another copy of edition 4 complete with the "Poll" leaflet in this flawless condition exists.

The winning bid was
£ 9.00
Social source share

7005sm.jpg

Art Gentry

Merry-go-round C/w I Can't Make It (with Out You)

Bob Manuel's Memphis project features a brief brass intro that collides with a frantic runaway-train guitar rhythm, Art Gentry effortlessly harnesses his vocal to. The Memphis horn section takes the reigns and provides a floor-dismantling session which no brakes or means of slowing down.

THIS IS A NORTHERN SOUL STOMPER!

Flip it over and experience Bob Manuel using the same ingredients for a totally different effect, this side is where the real value lies in this vanishing disc. A soulful down-tempo journey through pain, despair and fear.

Gentry's expressive vocal is dressed with a shrill girl chorus, haunting brass and precise piano interventions, Art's so smooth vocal sits in the middle of all this sadness, serving up a soulful crossover stroller from the top-drawer.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL CROSSOVER at it's finest.

The winning bid was £ 138.00

7008sm.jpg

Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells

Together

Astonishing condition!

1964 mono press with near perfect cover, front and back just an extremely light "bump" top left corner-tip (see scan). Original and pristine inner sleeve, both labels are "as new" and the all important vinyl you will want to kiss!

So very elusive - in this condition a near impossible Tamla Motown collectors artifact.

The winning bid was £ 87.00

7016sm.jpg

Mary Wells

What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One C/w You Lost The Sweetest Boy -

Perhaps the very first UK 45 to be relaunched due to "Soul" club action..read on.

First promo's were made with the RED "A" on the "You Lost The Sweetest Boy" side - but the club DJ's or should we say "Record Dance" DJ's of 1963 flipped it over. EMI were swift to withdraw and re-promote and did achieve resonable sales with the "shop" copy.

So, this 45 exists on DEMO with he Red A on either side - this beautiful variation we have found to be ridiculously hard to acquire.

Gorgeous and in sublime condition, and a vital piece in the UK Tamla Motown jigsaw.

The winning bid was
£ 96.00
Social source share

7018sm.jpg

Im struggling to get my legs around this one, it might be that it sounds better out????

Keith Curtiss

I Got To Keep You Baby C/w My Love I Can't Hide

You are about to hear why George Blackwell is considered Northern Soul royalty!

Everything this New Jersey Soul-God was involved with ran against the commercial tide, crafting the finest possible soul recordings with the most-powerfully constructed productions that just scream everything real-deal Northern Soul stands for.

Just view the scan - then take a deep breath, then click the soundfile and be prepared to be MOVED!

Rarity? don't even think about it...

The winning bid was £ 1,415.00

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert