Little Eddie Taylor

Grayman45

this reminds me of a list i got from a bloke in Liverpool late 80ts which had a Peacock test press of IHAGT which was advertised as a different take......i had first refusal if his mate didnt want it (which of course he did )......always wondered what it sounded like....

Social source share

wouldnt mind hearing that Chalkie.........on a tangent........i remember John Anderson having some test presses of alternate takes of Onderful/Marvelus tunes.....one of which was the Accents "ive got to think again"....which i heard at a West Midlands do....i couldnt prise it off the DJ....anybody know anything about these?

Social source share

It was done along with the Silhouettes (and probably the others mentioned). I think it also has the correct info in the run out groove as the original, and apart from the obvious (no label) is identical to the original also sharing the same "b" side, which as far as I recall is also quite good (for its genre).

The original is the rarest release on the label and has been commanding about £600 recently.

Edited by theothertosspot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It was done along with the Silhouettes (and probably the others mentioned). I think it also has the correct info in the run out groove as the original, and apart from the obvious (no label) is identical to the original also sharing the same "b" side, which as far as I recall is also quite good (for its genre).

The original is the rarest release on the label and has been commanding about £600 recently.

Mine's probably worth £6 at most!

Social source share

Mine's probably worth £6 at most!

Perhaps encountering a grey area quoting "probably worth £6 at most", how things stand with some of the prices being paid I would have said a little more (however, that's not to say it is worth a lot more). It has certainly stood the test of time if you think it was booted in 75 and is still gaining attention.

Bob

Social source share

Have the same Little Eddie Taylor on a white test press[ vinyl ] with the title written on with a black felt tip pen...both sides as per Peacock 45 ....also same info on the run out groove.....bought this about 1975ish ???? [ was still at school? was a biggie/powerplay in my parents house ]...L.E.T ruled the turntable.......

Have got to say IHAGT[WMB ]still sounds great!!!!

ktf and right on right on!!!!

tfk :rofl:

Little Eddie Taylor....

post-3067-0-10538800-1335544726_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 9 months later...

LitEdTaylor was ever-present on the Miami club scene throughout just about all the 60's.

As can be seen from the photo above, his 'Little' nickname came from his lack of height but that didn't stop him from being a notorious ladies man.

At times, he claimed to be a close relative (brother) of Johnny Taylor's, but JT always denied that.

I have posted up club ads for shows LitEdTaylor did in Miami in the 'Old Miami Shows' thread in the past.

Not to be confused with the 'Little Eddie Taylor' that was a blues guitarist (who was about at the same time & into the 70's).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

It did get some plays at the Torch allnighters, a guy I know bought a copy there.

The Torch sounds too early to me. I'm sure this broke around 1974 or thereabouts. I'm pretty sure there was a race to pick up a couple of copies Brian Phillips got around this time. It never went huge but was a solid play for a while back then. Good nitty-gritty Northern ....

Ian D :D

Social source share

i remember sending off for both this and the silhouettes from an ad in blues and soul 75/76ish, slightly more expensive than a lot of other pressings , maybe £ 1.50 each, love the eddie taylor song, bought a copy on peacock in 1979 for £7.00 and sold it for not too much more in the early eighties,it always looked pretty on that peacock label, did i read somewhere that peacock records was a money laundering venture for the mob? anyway, if you want to sell the blank label copy, and the price is reasonable, let me know.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Have the same Little Eddie Taylor on a white test press[ vinyl ] with the title written on with a black felt tip pen...both sides as per Peacock 45 ....also same info on the run out groove.....bought this about 1975ish ???? [ was still at school? was a biggie/powerplay in my parents house ]...L.E.T ruled the turntable.......

Have got to say IHAGT[WMB ]still sounds great!!!!

ktf and right on right on!!!!

tfk :rofl:

Little Eddie Taylor....

i have Little Eddie Taylor on peacock promo that photograph come with the record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I reckon end of '74 begining of '75 - I remember someone (who I won't name) getting a copy at the pier for the purposes of cutting emi's - about Feb '75?

I think he got a 'Ton of dynamite' the same night.

Took me until the miners strike when a friend very sadly had to sell his collection before I saw one for sale.

Social source share

Remember him well,bit of an arrogant so and so :yes: who seemed always to have most of the top and current sounds :thumbup:

Steve

Ha! Yes that sounds like Jack all right - I don't know what became of him - he burnt bright for a couple of years, I've not seen him since about '77.

Social source share

.. did i read somewhere that peacock records was a money laundering venture for the mob?

It had been rumoured that Don Robey who started out his career managing a nightclub in LA had close links with the Mafia. After having returned to Texas he started another nightclub in Houston called the Peacock Club which is where he got the name from for his label group of Duke/Peacock/Sure Shot and Back Beat. He had a bad reputation for not only always carrying a gun but for also putting on the table when negotiating contracts..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It had been rumoured that Don Robey who started out his career managing a nightclub in LA had close links with the Mafia. After having returned to Texas he started another nightclub in Houston called the Peacock Club which is where he got the name from for his label group of Duke/Peacock/Sure Shot and Back Beat. He had a bad reputation for not only always carrying a gun but for also putting on the table when negotiating contracts..

He must have some outside clout to operate successfully as an independent black entrepreneur in Texas. I'm pretty sure that this was a guy who generally got his way.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Remember him well,bit of an arrogant so and so :yes: who seemed always to have most of the top and current sounds :thumbup:

Steve

i remember Jack Bollington very well i used to bump into him at a small recording studio in Carnforth which was privately owned near Lancaster where he and i used to have Emidisks cuts of the big sounds at the time probably around 1974 we always used to have good talk about records and which big sounds was about to be booted etc.

we always had the originals so there was no problems cutting the EMI'S ' i can also remember the owner was a short old man who never asked any questions.

Jack and i used to leave the records with the old man tell him how many copies we wanted he would then say come back after two hours 'we both then used to go to Morecambe beach for couple of hours.

Jack was a very knowledgeable guy and had very good contacts in USA had all the big sounds at the time and used to deal with all the big Dj's at the time.

Arrogant so and so definitely not if you new him.

Edited by giant
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!