Tomangoes

• Replies 19
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Heard lots of good things about the Radio Hallam shows in Sheffield.

my mates on here should be able to relive some memories.....SteveM, Vaultofsouler, Brett etc.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Anybody remember this radio show. John Green (jtg900@hotmail.com) used to dj on a Saturday night about 6 to 7. Great stuff in about 1975, when you were just getting into this scene. Send him a mail if you remember it.

Lots of other top acts followed including Richard Searling.

Nothing happening there now but it did play a big part back then.

Ed

Posted this a while ago, used to be straight down to "Sound of Music" in Rotherham on monday to see what they had in stock....

Way before Richard Searling's show on Radio Hallam in Sheffield a guy called John Green used to do a regular soul show on there, just found his top 20 most requested tracks of 1975......

Just imagine hearing these now for the first time..... well most of them beer.gif

20 Soul Twins "Quick change artist"

19 Sam & Kitty "I got something good"

18 Lou Pride "I'm coming home in the morning

17 Mike Post "Afternoon of the rhino"

16 George "Bad" Benson "Supership"

15 Bobby Paris "Night owl"

14 Billy Butler "The right track"

13 Rufus Lumley "I'm standing"

12 Sidney Barnes "I hurt on the other side"

11 Eddie Foster "I never knew"

10 Gloria Jones "Tainted love"

09 Carstairs "It really hurts me girl"

08 Dean Parrish "I'm on my way"

07 Major Lance "You don't want me no more"

06 James Bounty "Prove yourself a lady"

05 Just Brothers "Sliced tomatoes"

04 Invitations "Ski-ing in the snow"

03 Tobi Legend "Time will pass you by"

02 Eddie Parker "Love you baby"

01 Williams & Watson "Too late"

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Heard lots of good things about the Radio Hallam shows in Sheffield.

my mates on here should be able to relive some memories.....SteveM, Vaultofsouler, Brett etc.

Shane

Can't remember John Green, was just a bit early for me (no snide comments Steve or Mark!) but used to listen to Searling on Soul Source religously every Saturday evening.

Anybody remember the Clifton Hall special he did when Alan Senior was his guest?

Social source share

Posted this a while ago, used to be straight down to "Sound of Music" in Rotherham on monday to see what they had in stock....

Way before Richard Searling's show on Radio Hallam in Sheffield a guy called John Green used to do a regular soul show on there, just found his top 20 most requested tracks of 1975......

Just imagine hearing these now for the first time..... well most of them beer.gif

20 Soul Twins "Quick change artist"

19 Sam & Kitty "I got something good"

18 Lou Pride "I'm coming home in the morning

17 Mike Post "Afternoon of the rhino"

16 George "Bad" Benson "Supership"

15 Bobby Paris "Night owl"

14 Billy Butler "The right track"

13 Rufus Lumley "I'm standing"

12 Sidney Barnes "I hurt on the other side"

11 Eddie Foster "I never knew"

10 Gloria Jones "Tainted love"

09 Carstairs "It really hurts me girl"

08 Dean Parrish "I'm on my way"

07 Major Lance "You don't want me no more"

06 James Bounty "Prove yourself a lady"

05 Just Brothers "Sliced tomatoes"

04 Invitations "Ski-ing in the snow"

03 Tobi Legend "Time will pass you by"

02 Eddie Parker "Love you baby"

01 Williams & Watson "Too late"

John Green is alive and well and generally pops his head into our box at Hillsborough. In fact we'll see him tomorrow for the Ipswich game.

JG runs a successful Sporting/Events business. A dear friend and looks well after all these years.

Social source share

Yes.

Remember the show well.. Specially remember the interviews he used to do with people waiting to get into venues, I can still recall someone asking for the Spellbinders "for all the Rotherham crowd". I'm just wondering if the old reel to reel tapes I used to do of the show still exist at my Mum & Dads house. Have'nt got owt to play em on though. beer.gif

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

Saw Alan last year at John Benson's birthday bash, not seen or heard of Pete Shirley for years though.

Seen Pete the odd time or two, last time was at Half Time Orange last time I went. Not sure but think he could be living Leicester way now.

A mate of mine, well old mate, not seen him for years, recorded every Richard Searling show on Hallam, dunno if he recorded any prior to Richard's show.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Anybody remember this radio show. John Green (jtg900@hotmail.com) used to dj on a Saturday night about 6 to 7. Great stuff in about 1975, when you were just getting into this scene. Send him a mail if you remember it.

:ohmy:

By other top acts you can only mean Kelly Temple Ed. :)

After JG, it was Hallam staffers until Richard started with them. All pop dj's who borrowed records from Alan Millington and myself for the three record Northern spots they did.

Stev

Social source share

Nothing happening there now but it did play a big part back then.

Ed

If my memory serves me correctly Soul Shotgun was eventualy replaced by Soul Temple featuring an awful DJ called Kelly Temple, the less said the better.

Mark

Social source share

• 1 year later...

(tomangoes @ Dec 16 2005, 03:32 PM)

I never, ever missed his show... I used to have a stock of C60 cassettes containing recordings... In a fit of cleaning up I chucked them all, plus my recordings at Wigan (boo hoo) in the very early 90's... stooooooooooooooopid me! sad.gif

Graham (MP3Z2CD) has only just forgiven me (nearly)... John Green did a brilliant show and I'm glad to read that he is still fit and well!

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Remember his well. I used to live about 45 miles from Sheffield. The reception was pretty poor and the only way I could get a decent signal was to take the radio outdoors and stand at the end of the garden. Parents thought I was mad. Never did find out what the neighbours made of it though smile.gif

Kev

Social source share

I never, ever missed his show... I used to have a stock of C60 cassettes containing recordings... In a fit of cleaning up I chucked them all, plus my recordings at Wigan (boo hoo) in the very early 90's... stooooooooooooooopid me! sad.gif

Graham (MP3Z2CD) has only just forgiven me (nearly)... John Green did a brilliant show and I'm glad to read that he is still fit and well!

Hi Wendy, nice to see you on here,not seen you and Graham for a long time,we met you at barrowhill a couple of times.....its Barry and wendy,how's graham and yourself these Days..look after your self, see you soon hopefully

Bazza

Social source share

I rember the show very well and still have Tapes of it (if they've managed to survive the recent flood).

Soul Shotgun was an extremely varied show, with lots of the better new releases of the time in amongst the 60's / Northern.

Well remember such gems as Grover Mitchell "What Hurts" and Fantastic Puzzles "Come Back" being played as new British releases. Dave Godin often contributed, so the quality was consistently high.

I have bumped into John on many occasion over the past 12 years or so.

He's been quite heavily involved in Sports Promotion and as for quite a few years I was Marketing Director of Sanderson, the then sponsor of Sheffield Wednesday, he'd often tap me up for a table or two at some of his 'Gentleman's Evenings' and Sports Personality Dinners. I also had a Box for a half dozen seasons at Wednesday so I'd see him there quite frequently.

A good, big hearted lad is John. I bought his record collection from him in the early 90's ( a couple of car loads) and it was good to find all the stuff he'd aired on Soul Shotgun in there.

All very nice.

biggrin.gif

Sean

Social source share

Can't remember John Green, was just a bit early for me (no snide comments Steve or Mark!) but used to listen to Searling on Soul Source religously every Saturday evening.

Anybody remember the Clifton Hall special he did when Alan Senior was his guest?

I do have a tape of it somewhere

Social source share

• 16 years later...
On 16/12/2005 at 15:22, Tomangoes said:

Alan Senior. Not seen him in about 25 years.

He used to go to the White Greyhound in Edlington when Pete Shirley was DJ.

Great Days.

Ed

White Greyhound flyer ... the site of the pub is now a small housing estate. 

BTW, the DJ who did the Hallam soul show ahead of RS used to get his 3 NS 45 plays each week from Worksop's Pete Ward (who had a record stall on Worksop market at the time).

EdlingtonSoulNite80s.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!