Modern - Oh Yes

Guest Mark D

Guest Mark D

Having enjoyed the modern stuff on Chalky's stafford podcasts - I've decided to embrace the modern side. I guess I'm talking early eighties onward -- I'm familiar with stuff on early goldmine cds, but are there any lists on hear of top/favourite modern tunes, or any recommendations to check out.

No need for an oldies vs modern type discussion - just looking to expand my listening. Ta.

Social source share

I think that you can enjoy both, in fact I wish we could hear the best of both, on one dance floor, one room & mixed by the same DJ.............mmmmm sounds like 'Deep South'.....Dave Thorley was magnificent recently, playing across the decades & genres seamlessly with barely a blip in the dance floor.

Enjoy the quest for Soul, but dont let one exclude you from enjoying it all :wink: .

Best Russ

Social source share

It depends how 'far' you want to stray into MS ...... lots of fans embrace any track, including new recordings, that has a strong soulful vocal no matter how 'housey' or 'garagey' the backing is. Others just like traditional souly stuff up to the 1990's.

Loads of great 'real soul' artists still out there, check out stuff made by any of the acts who performed live in the Modern room at the Prestatyn W/Ender (Fish has great taste & only booked the best). Marc Evans & Marcel & the Truth spring instantly to mind.

At the risk of being thrown off here, you couldn't do much better than join EMS to 'catch up' on all things modern soul wise (there are 'retro & new release sections on the site, so all era's are covered).

BUT .... MS Fans aren't OVO only ..... lots prefer 'download' tracks (not me though) . Some great tracks are 'download' only. Others are CD only. The BEST (& worst) thing about post 1990 tracks is the number of mixes of a tune that are available. So though the dance scene fans will go for a 'bleeps & beats' version as their fave, there will usually also be a 'soul mix' version for us types. BUT BEWARE WHEN BUYING 12"s... loads of tracks will have 2 /3 different 12" vinyl releases to select from & the 'soul mix' will usually only be available on one of these. So, select carefully before pressing the buy button or you could end up with a copy that only features 4 / 5 different 'bleeps & beats' versions. GOOD HUNTING.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Oh ! like Roburt says can be a minefield but there are many fabulous modern tracks from all era's nineties has loads of great music but many are overplayed to those who follow the dark side but nevertheless are still brilliant for instance :-

Good luck

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Mark D

Thanks all for that -- I'll check out all the above.

Russ - I completely agree. I've no intention of giving up on the sixties, I can just see that's there's more music out there for me to get hooked on. When I first got into Northern I use to hear tracks that would get stuck in my head and then I'd need to seek it out and more so. At the moment I've got David Joseph, Bobby Womack, Paul Simpson, Marlena Shaw etc. whirling around and I can listen to plenty more of that.

Roburt - EMS - what's that then. Excuse my ignorance.

Tracks above are nice, may take a few listens for me, but I'm thinking I might be needing a little more tempo :thumbup:

Thx again.

Social source share

Totally agree with Russ :thumbsup: Best of both worlds and its so good when a new track pops up and makes you go wowwwwwwww :thumbup: but do like 2 roomer do`s as even the modern scene can be a bit same old same old sometimes depending on playing to the open minded or filling the dancefloor with floorfillers :ohmy:

Julie x

Social source share

Having enjoyed the modern stuff on Chalky's stafford podcasts - I've decided to embrace the modern side. I guess I'm talking early eighties onward -- I'm familiar with stuff on early goldmine cds, but are there any lists on hear of top/favourite modern tunes, or any recommendations to check out.

No need for an oldies vs modern type discussion - just looking to expand my listening. Ta.

Have been doing the same thing myself and loving it . Also some of the lifeline stuff is incredible I really enjoy hearing new (to my ears ) things .

Thanks Chalky , Dave Thorley and Andy Dyson brilliant work lads :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Oh dear, more blame on my part for turning someone to the dark side :D

Seriously though, thanks Mark and Mark and others for the kind words regarding the podcasts and glad people are enjoying them. It is good they are helping some appreciate soul music after 1969 as there is a mountain of quality soul recordings post 60's out there.

Check out the links and recommendations others have mentioned, my modern soul (if you can call it that) is pretty much restricted to the 70's and 80's although I do listen to and collect new stuff.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Mark D

Come over to the darkside we don`t bite :wicked: and you never know you my like some of it :thumbsup:

I'm on my way -- oh blx, wrong side :rofl:

Social source share

Guest Mark D

Mark, you could check you my last few shows here, all 'modern' in the 70s and 80s sense of the word:

https://soulsorts.podomatic.com

Roger

Thx Roger -- had a quick look and will defo be downloading.

'Modern' - strange term eh! I actually have a copy of Drizabone's Pressure tucked away and I looked at that last night and saw that it's knocking on for 20 yrs old. Modern?

Social source share

'Modern' - strange term eh! I actually have a copy of Drizabone's Pressure tucked away and I looked at that last night and saw that it's knocking on for 20 yrs old. Modern?

I sold my original Pressure on ebay for 200 quid.......still have the demo 12 of Real Love and Brightest Star which are far better IMO.

Anyway another podcast heading your way shortly, one for Ady Pountain, it is recorded just need to upload etc...breakfast first.

Social source share

It's the old 'what is modern soul' chestnut, Mark, it's been discussed many many times both on here and other forums. All irrelevant really mate, good music is just good music. :)

Roger

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Sanchez mix of pressure is top quality Chalky ...but too long for a northern niter...

We used to "rinse" Real love on Pirate !!

Hope all is well..

I sold my original Pressure on ebay for 200 quid.......still have the demo 12 of Real Love and Brightest Star which are far better IMO.

Anyway another podcast heading your way shortly, one for Ady Pountain, it is recorded just need to upload etc...breakfast first.

Social source share

The Sanchez mix of pressure is top quality Chalky ...but too long for a northern niter...

We used to "rinse" Real love on Pirate !!

Hope all is well..

I'll seek that mix out for a listen.

Sound here pal, likewise I hope....long time no see.

Social source share

Would a track like 'Let's Start Over' by Miles Jaye get played at Modern venues these days? Or is it just the wrong style?

I've never heard it out but don't see why not. It's a great song but a little difficult to dance to. Miles is a great artist - one of my faves. Some of his more recent stuff is good too. Should've Been Strong got big plays about 8 years ago.

Social source share

I'll seek that mix out for a listen.

Sound here pal, likewise I hope....long time no see.

I used to play both mixes in clubs as a new release, and was well into sanchez's sound at the time, but I dont think its dated as well as other mixes from the time.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Would a track like 'Let's Start Over' by Miles Jaye get played at Modern venues these days? Or is it just the wrong style?

Why not as it got hammered as a new release in 1986 and received a uk 45 release in 1987. It's still a defined North West Richard Searling classic play and features Roy Ayers..................enough said.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!