Blake H

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just about all the Ru-Jac 45's have always been a bit hard to find. When the 1st UK NS'ers 'discovered' the label, there were copies around to be snapped up. The supply soon dried up though. Most copies were sold in Baltimore back in the day but some (mainly later Ru-Jac releases) were nationally distributed or licensed by big labels for 2nd issues.

The Shyndells were the label's usual studio backing band even though lots of the tracks were actually cut in the DC area rather than in Balto (there wasn't really a decent studio in Baltimore till the late 60's). By 1970, Rita was performing jazz in Balto clubs (if my memory is working right today), so her soul days were over in but a few short years.

Rufus Mitchell, who owned / ran the Ru-Jac label, was a big local business man & concert promoter, so artists signed to his label were always assured loads of local live gig work.

The whole catalogue has been 'scooped' by a (the best) UK reissue label and so comprehensive CD releases (& probably selected 45 releases) are assured. A single artist CD (maybe 2) will form the initial release of Ru-Jac stuff, but I'm sure Rita's tracks will follow (in 2013 ?) on a comp various artist CD from the UK label.

No idea how much 'unissued' stuff was cut back in the day (some for sure) but don't think the master tapes still exist for these (though I hope I'm proved wrong on this point).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Just about all the Ru-Jac 45's have always been a bit hard to find. When the 1st UK NS'ers 'discovered' the label, there were copies around to be snapped up. The supply soon dried up though. Most copies were sold in Baltimore back in the day but some (mainly later Ru-Jac releases) were nationally distributed or licensed by big labels for 2nd issues.

The Shyndells were the label's usual studio backing band even though lots of the tracks were actually cut in the DC area rather than in Balto (there wasn't really a decent studio in Baltimore till the late 60's). By 1970, Rita was performing jazz in Balto clubs (if my memory is working right today), so her soul days were over in but a few short years.

Rufus Mitchell, who owned / ran the Ru-Jac label, was a big local business man & concert promoter, so artists signed to his label were always assured loads of local live gig work.

The whole catalogue has been 'scooped' by a (the best) UK reissue label and so comprehensive CD releases (& probably selected 45 releases) are assured. A single artist CD (maybe 2) will form the initial release of Ru-Jac stuff, but I'm sure Rita's tracks will follow (in 2013 ?) on a comp various artist CD from the UK label.

No idea how much 'unissued' stuff was cut back in the day (some for sure) but don't think the master tapes still exist for these (though I hope I'm proved wrong on this point).

Any news on this project Roburt?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert