Garnet Mimms - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

Garnett's tracks were really popular with UK soulies in the mid to late 60's (though "Lookin For You" wasn't a regular play). All his US 45's got released here + he toured a few times & cut a live LP here. His biggies with Yorks soulies were "I'll Take Good Care Of You", "Been Such A Long Way Home", "Cry Baby", etc. but all slow or mid tempo so again not massive club plays (but they did all get spun).

"It Was Easier To Hurt Her" wasn't as popular (though still a great track) coz the UK cover had been played to death on the radio & had 'taken the edge' of listening to Garnett's far superior original version.

Social source share

My demo copy. I've had 3 demos I think. Sold my last 2 years back, bought this one a month ago. Arrived in a jiffy bag with no cardboard and no paper sleeve even. It's a survivor alright. Issue must have sold a fair few copies, had loads.

post-1893-0-54921700-1335722186_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest Brooky

We used to sell this for a fiver in the 90's as it was a live version.

===============================================================================

Is it correct that this exists only on a French EP and the Album? (Except for the Live version?)

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

My favourite Artist bar none...... "Cry Baby" has always been my favourite Soul record......Not all of his records were great but when he was on form with the right song,i think unbeatable....I just wish i was more competant with the computer because id love to post a couple more up......

Check these if you dont know them-

"Anytime You Want Me" 45

"Tell Me Baby" 45

[These are both sides of a 45 by the way]

& his version of "Welcome Home" [Walter Jackson] This is on the" I`ll Take Good Care Of You" LP

I think the Studio version of "As Long As I Have You" is far superior to the the UK 45 version[recorded live at Sussex University backed with UK band "The Senate"]....I understand Pete`s point regarding the price rise but i think thats more down to the lack of 45 of the Studio version[apart from the French one that is.......now thats one i`d like].....

Go Garnet

Social source share

I'm sure there's a full live album from which that single was pulled?

One of Garnet's I love is "A quiet place" aka Johnny Dollar, it's one of those songs that you can literally see being enacted out if you listen to it and close your eyes.

There's also a great cover of it by Prince Buster (the clip below does not sound like the one on UK Blue Beat which I mean though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT7YooKdVBY

Edited by Pete S
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I'm sure there's a full live album from which that single was pulled?

One of Garnet's I love is "A quiet place" aka Johnny Dollar, it's one of those songs that you can literally see being enacted out if you listen to it and close your eyes.

There's also a great cover of it by Prince Buster (the clip below does not sound like the one on UK Blue Beat which I mean though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT7YooKdVBY

Yep..........brilliant record Pete

Social source share

I'd like to know what kind of popularity this 70s dance number by Garnet has received in Europe. Though this is not northern soul, I like this very much becuse this is a great 70s dance number with his powerful voice backed up by great sound.

Garnet Mimms - Somebody, Someplace (GSF 6887)

I deleted an mp3 after noticed that uploading mp3 is not allowed in the forum.

Edited by picky
Social source share

Check these if you dont know them-

"Anytime You Want Me" 45

"Tell Me Baby" 45

[These are both sides of a 45 by the way]

One for you then, Ivor...not that it is for sale :hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-33218000-1335793420_thumb.jp

Social source share

Hi

Yes "as long as i have you" is RARE on french United Artists . It has a strong and powerful sound...but unfortunately this one is rarely seen for sale.

i sold mine a few years back.

best,

loren

Social source share

there was a really good live LP somebody was selling on here a month or so ago, they put up a clip, sounded really good...

Don't know whether others will share this view, but from my armchair at home, 'Looking for You' really is not a favorite, great song but so many others stand above it IMO, It Was Easier To Hurt Her, comes top for me...

Mal :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Ivor Jones

One for you then, Ivor...not that it is for sale hatsoff2.gif

Kinnell ! Ive only just seen this…. You can't accuse me of not being on the ball :)   Very nice young David !

Social source share

And if that wasn't enough to get your pulse racing Ivor, I recently (finally!) got this beauty...never seen a copy outside of the record company files before this little puppy came my way  :ohmy:

post-9555-0-54727600-1407073657_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Guest Soul Hippy

For those who funk, he also laid down one of the classic funk tracks. Also had a Canadian prove it to me issue, Red & Silver -Gorgeous.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!