Paostage Rates Price Hike- £3.65 For One 45?

Guys, not sure if this has been covered but I was researching the postage price hike (for my new website www.midastouchsoul.co.uk live now- check it out!!) that comes into effect tomorrow and I figured it`s gonna cost £3.65 to post one 45 recorded in the UK.

By my clalculation one 45 with packaging weighs in at around 150gm. Looking at the info in front of me the first banding for recorded mail (first class) is 0-750gm and costs £3.65.

Anyone else come accross this yet?

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

Yeah I asked them as well Pete and she gave me a sheet, looks like something they had typed up themselves, and pointed to the "Small packet 0-750gm" which is £3.65. I must say it is a massive jump from 1.86. I can`t seen anything for 2.28 on this leaflet she has given me.

I`m going to the post office tomorrow, suppose I will find out then!

Chris.

Social source share

When I take a record to the Post Office they push it through a slot on a small plastic screen - if it goes through they charge it as a large letter - if not, it gets charged as a small packet

Complete con - the slot is a fraction of the size of a standard letterbox

Social source share

I don't think the slot is meant to be a letter box is it, just a way to measure the packet size.

I'm not defending the post office but why do some think something like 3 quid is too much to deliver a package quite a distance from you? You couldn't do it yourself any cheaper and I doubt a courier can do it any cheaper either. The Royal Mail have beed stopped from competing in the market place and at today's market prices by the government and the watchdog, they have been forced to keep prices down haven't they? They are only bringing their prices into line with others aren't they?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Kev, Don`t records come under "Small packet" rather than "large letter"?

I`m not sure.

Chris

they have a little letterbox template behind the counter and I think the rule is if it fits through that then its a large letter.

Social source share

Over the last few days have sent several 45's out all in standard record mailers all with 4 pieces of card and they have been very consistent in the price to post 1st class UK mainland.......£1.09p......which is why i give free P/P.

Have no idea as to why the price should or does vary as it should not, dont matter where you are in the UK to post to the UK it IS the same price........£1.09p!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Over the last few days have sent several 45's out all in standard record mailers all with 4 pieces of card and they have been very consistent in the price to post 1st class UK mainland.......£1.09p......which is why i give free P/P.

Have no idea as to why the price should or does vary as it should not, dont matter where you are in the UK to post to the UK it IS the same price........£1.09p!!

That is correct, but that's non-recorded, I was quoting for recorded.

Social source share

Oh i see, but, but, but, why do recorded as a standard option?? it gives no more protection than first class unless you use royal mail guild-lines on using recorded......ie the packet MUST be enclosed in royal mail standard bubble wrap jiffy's to qualify, you still get a receipt of postage to the address on the mailer using only first class and it gets to address no more quicker.

In my opinion P/P should be free of charge to a buyer if all they want is standard delivery, only charge if the buyer wants other than standard and then it should only cost what it has cost the seller to use other than standard.........no little extra's.

In no way am i implying you do charge any extra than the actual cost but there are plenty that do, not so much on S/S but elsewhere.

Social source share

Oh i see, but, but, but, why do recorded as a standard option?? it gives no more protection than first class unless you use royal mail guild-lines on using recorded......ie the packet MUST be enclosed in royal mail standard bubble wrap jiffy's to qualify, you still get a receipt of postage to the address on the mailer using only first class and it gets to address no more quicker.

In my opinion P/P should be free of charge to a buyer if all they want is standard delivery, only charge if the buyer wants other than standard and then it should only cost what it has cost the seller to use other than standard.........no little extra's.

In no way am i implying you do charge any extra than the actual cost but there are plenty that do, not so much on S/S but elsewhere.

Because if it goes missing I'm responsible, and I've got no comeback, I can't prove I posted it or they received it. The average price of a record I sell is usually say £40, I can't afford to lose that amount of money. If they refuse to pay for recorded delivery, I pay for it myself.

Social source share

Thats my point Pete, you DO have proof that you sent the record, using first class only they print on the receipt the address to where it's going to, granted you dont get proof of the 45 reaching the end point but we are talking about the Royal Mail here, nothing out there in my opinion comes close to the service they give and the price they charge.

Social source share

I've posted over 800 packages already this year and I have never heard of or been told about that rule in my life!

I actually think that it is for when you take out insurance as well, it must be, as well of the usual mailer also enclosed within a jiffy mailer, why i have no idea but that is their rule, failing to do so you will not receive a penny in compensation if you need to use it.HONEST!!.

Social source share

Yeah I remember that Barbara Mcnair from a couple of months ago.

You are right Daz, it's just that I've never seen this or been told it.

They will act according to price though, if it's 20/30 quid they will pay out on a secure package jiffy bag or not.

But it is a f*cking ridiculous rule seeing as the jiffy bag offers no protection at all.

Social source share

Guest franky m

DHL prices for shipping a parcel up to .half a kg (there lowest rate)

uk £11.95

eu £37.95

usa£35.95

jap£45.95

had to use it once , it made my eyes water

Social source share

DHL prices for shipping a parcel up to .half a kg (there lowest rate)

uk £11.95

eu £37.95

usa£35.95

jap£45.95

had to use it once , it made my eyes water

this goes some way to answering the question I asked earlier.

even with the price hikes royal mail seem very fair.

they must have been undercharging for years.

Social source share

UK to UK at present for up to 250g is £1.09 --- this goes up to £1.20 --- so that's only an 11p increase

Recorded Delivery is an additional 77p at the moment --- tomorrow becomes 95p add on --- an extra 18p

These increases aren't that much really.

However sending abroad from the UK is the one that will hurt the most.

UK to Europe at present for 140g is £1.79 ---- this goes up to £2.93 --- if it's 160g then £3.16

UK to Worldwide at present for 140g is £2.60 -- this goes up to £3.90 --- if it's 160g then £4.50

Those are massive increases that will affect anyone in the UK sending records abroad.

Full details are here ...

https://www.royalmail.com/prices2012

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

we alway's send recorded and have alway's charged a flat two quid regardless of how many records are posted but will probably hold that for as long as possible as has already been mentioned even with the extra cost's it does provide a realy cheap way of sending and recieving post and it's conveniant for most to go to the post office to send .It's also providing work for British workers and a British organisation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! regards Simon.

Social source share

Royal mail is still good value for letters and small packages.

All they need now is to improve the service a bit because it's not what it used to be.

Social source share

I'm not defending the post office but why do some think something like 3 quid is too much to deliver a package quite a distance from you? You couldn't do it yourself any cheaper and I doubt a courier can do it any cheaper either. The Royal Mail have beed stopped from competing in the market place and at today's market prices by the government and the watchdog, they have been forced to keep prices down haven't they? They are only bringing their prices into line with others aren't they?

The market they trade in (well, the bit we're talking about here which is the consumer and not commercial side) is barely an oligopoly. Royal Mail are still benefitting massively from the de-nationalisation of their industry and economies of scale, which is why they can be cheaper than competitors - It happened in the Gas market and British Gas were constricted from reducing prices until they lost an proportionate amount of their business by the competition/mergers commission.

I don't think the same is happening here IMO Chalky. In fact, i think the RM are potentially using that as a smoke screen to hike their prices up and 'into line with competitors'.

I do agree though, the price increase within the UK isn't so bad, and shipping aboard aint too harsh either (as a buyer i used to feel aggrieved getting records shipped in from US/EU where prices are high)...............grand scheme of things, i soon realised there's more overpriced things in the world. It seems we'll be now more in line with overseas companies.

The sale of cheaper records online may suffer now though as it's not as feasible for foreign buyers to get a true bargain once the new RM prices come in for shipping overseas??

Social source share

Just posted 1 record Insured & Signed For to Australia (Insured for £500 BTW)

£11.65

Gone up a bit from the £8.50 I charged last week but tell me......what hasn't gone up !

(FREE P+P here too Pete ! Lol)

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Our brothers and sisters in Oz are gonna be the hardest hit with the price increases?

The PO have created a 'World Zone 2' which includes Oz and New Zealand!

So along with the 'normal' increase for Air Mail (which is fairly big, including a rolling up of 4 weight ranges into 1) they get an extra increase on their asses for being in World Zone 2!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!