Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

Don't know if this as been discussed before, but I'm sure people will be up for discussion again.

Looking through the UK Cameo Parkway listings, most, if not all of the soul releases came from either Cameo or Parkway as you would expect, however, Doris Troy was released on Calla.

The first thing is, why was this selected as to be released on Cameo Parkway? Did Calla lease to any UK outlet as JJ Jackson (But Its Alright) was rleased on both Polydor (was this withdrawn) and Warner Bros.

In addition the Doris Troy release does not share the same B side, "Heartaches" on Calla and "But I Love Him" on Cameo Parkway. The subsequent release in the UK on Toast has "Heartaches" on the B side and the Mojo release has "But I Love Him", not sure what the B side is on the Pye release.

This all seems a little confusing to me and any info would bee appreciated.

Regards Bob

Social source share

the cameo-parkway release was recorded in mono. if you know anything of the history of this ill-fated label, it was that they realised the emergent r&b market too late, having got embroiled in an expensive lawsuit over the beatles, from which they never recovered. its amazing to think they had so many talented black artists on the books at the time they shipped in the doris troy release for what they believed was a last ditch lifesaving launch/ venture in the u.k. as a result of this people like don covay, bobby marchant thom bell etc, weren't given the time, money or credibility to produce the goods that could have stopped the ship from sinking. perhaps doris had a say in what got released as a b-side or perhaps two different companies had conflicting ideas on what sounded better...obviously " but i love him" is a dancer, perhaps it was thought to be a bit dated to some but the outcome is, that whatever she recorded actually made an appearance on vinyl...ive yet to hear of something by her that is magical & unreleased and a northern soul monster in the making. overall, the label's appeal through its self-inflicted demise, has proved an enduring magnetism for collectors of obscure/rare soul releases as many of the catalogues dieing embers are real gems both in quality & value...issues proving to be rarer than demo's in some cases.

Social source share

Why would they have been in a lawsuit concerning the Beatles, Swan & VeeJay released Beatles material, Cameo and Parkway didn't. Did they? Apart from Pete Best's solo single.

By the way there's an alternate version of I'll Do Anything using the same baxcking track - I think it's Dee Dee Sharp.

Social source share

No mystery al all with regard to the 1st UK issue of this track.

Pye Records UK licensed it for British release but were having a hard time of it (hit / money wise), so they didn't want to have a new imprint label printed up. So it had to come out on one of their existing labels.

Which one; Pye Int, Cameo-Parkway or what ??

They settled on Cameo Parkway & in that form it came out here.

Social source share

No mystery al all with regard to the 1st UK issue of this track.

Pye Records UK licensed it for British release but were having a hard time of it (hit / money wise)

Honeycombs, Kinks, Petula Clark, Donovan, Kenny Ball, Herb Alpert, Sandie Shaw, Searchers etc, they'd never been more successful!

It came out on Cameo Parkway because Cameo Parkway originally distributed Calla, then they became self-distributed.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

RE: Honeycombs, Kinks, Petula Clark, Donovan, Kenny Ball, Herb Alpert, Sandie Shaw, Searchers etc, they'd never been more successful!

.... Don't know about that as I recall reading in Record Mirror, NME etc that when Fontell Bass's "Rescue Me" was a UK hit it saved Pye Records from being shut down by their parent company.

Social source share

Cameo-Parkway distributed Calla in USA. Apparently, CP also got distribution rights to Calla in The UK (in that same agreement, or a related, separate one). The only relationship of Swan Records to Cameo-Parkway that I know was that both were located in Philadelphia, and both had Dick Clark as a minority owner. Not sure why CP would have been involved in litigation over Beatles' product.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

RE: Honeycombs, Kinks, Petula Clark, Donovan, Kenny Ball, Herb Alpert, Sandie Shaw, Searchers etc, they'd never been more successful!

.... Don't know about that as I recall reading in Record Mirror, NME etc that when Fontell Bass's "Rescue Me" was a UK hit it saved Pye Records from being shut down by their parent company.

That doesn't make sense if you think about it, all those artists I just mentioned, all top 10 within the space of 2 years - and Pye is the parent company of Pye anyway. And Rescue Me, although a hit, would have done only a tenth of what Sunny Afternoon or Waterloo Sunset or Downtown would have done.

Social source share

Honeycombs, Kinks, Petula Clark, Donovan, Kenny Ball, Herb Alpert, Sandie Shaw, Searchers etc, they'd never been more successful!

It came out on Cameo Parkway because Cameo Parkway originally distributed Calla, then they became self-distributed.

D'oh, should have realised that connection, remember listening Emperor Roscoe interviewing Neil Rushton (I think) around 76 time. They played and reviewed, amongst others, Tymes - Here She Comes, Jerry Jackson - Rough Out There and Orlons - Spinning Top, this being released on Calla, although it was reviewed on Planet Records (no pun intended). Was Planet records distributed by Pye as well? Seem to be making some connections.

Social source share

PYE RECORDS HISTORY .............. The Pye Company originally manufactured televisions and radios. Its main plant was situated off what used to be Haig Road, in Cambridge, and it entered the record business when it bought Nixa Records in 1953. In 1955, the company acquired Polygon Records and merged it with Nixa Records to form Pye Nixa Records. In 1958, Pye International Records was started. The company licensed recordings from American and other foreign labels for the UK market, including Chess, A&M, Kama Sutra, Colpix, Warner Bros., Buddah, 20th Century, and King. It also released recordings from British artist Labi Siffre which were produced outside the company.

In 1959, Pye Nixa became Pye Records and ATV acquired 50% of the label. By late 1965, the parent company were trying to get out of the record business, so ATV bought the other half of the business in 1966 thus becoming sole owner from then on.

I'd guess that the Pye Company weren't doing too well with their main TV & radio manufacturing business (everybody buying cheaper imported transistor radios, etc.) so they got out of their 'side business' to just concentrate on core issues and thus try to revive their manufacturing facility.

Social source share

HI ALL As it is eary and without looking! PLANET was pressed by PHILLIPS ...DAVE

Yes it was Dave and I was going to say that there seems no logic as to why The Orlons came out on Planet - but the then self-distributed Calla label could place their product with anyone they chose to, hence it appearing on that label. I can't think of another USA act that came out on Planet apart from John lee Hooker but he was working and recording in England at the time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Bettye Lavette's only your love can save me came out on calla but how come the Pama release in the u,k ? what's the connection there not even going to ask about The Volumes !!! regards S.

Social source share

Bettye Lavette's only your love can save me came out on calla but how come the Pama release in the u,k ? what's the connection there not even going to ask about The Volumes !!! regards S.

Came out on Stateside before Pama. Any more Calla 45's on Stateside? Can't think of any others on Pama.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!