Ebay Insanity

Quinvy

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Madness to pay that much for a record in this state. Having said that, it'll probably be "polished" to make it fit for Dj'ing, or sold on as mint.

https://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

the soundclip sounded awful, when you say polished, is that the same as skimming and would it improve the sound quality, i won a record once that was advertised as polished but even though it was very shiny you could still see the marks all over the record

Social source share

the soundclip sounded awful, when you say polished, is that the same as skimming and would it improve the sound quality, i won a record once that was advertised as polished but even though it was very shiny you could still see the marks all over the record

Yes, same thing. There's an awful lot around. I can recognise one easily, but have been sold them many times by "reputable dealers" I'm not sure how many people are activly involved in this practice, but one name keeps appearing every time this subject comes up. Buyer beware.

Social source share

Madness to pay that much for a record in this state. Having said that, it'll probably be "polished" to make it fit for Dj'ing, or sold on as mint.

https://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

This 45 was sold about a month ago - I assume the buyer returned it, unless the seller was bidding the price up. It fetched about the same price last time.

Strange world of northern soul.

Social source share

The buyer did not return the one a month ago, George Gell won it (and posted about it here I think). This is a different copy. I was the second bidder both times. I heard the soundclip but I am very good at cleaning records and can usually make them sound better. I do not polish records, that is one of my biggest peeves.

Social source share

The buyer did not return the one a month ago, George Gell won it (and posted about it here I think). This is a different copy. I was the second bidder both times. I heard the soundclip but I am very good at cleaning records and can usually make them sound better. I do not polish records, that is one of my biggest peeves.

Just to make clear I did not win (or bid) on these auctions, I already have a clean copy of the record in my collection. I did post about it though. I believe the winner of the first auction is an active member on SS. I thought that it may have been the same copy that was listed and that first sale fell through, but I'll take your word there were two copies. I didn't check the sound quality, I assume that it plays noisy. The flip side is a good ballad, it's too long though and suffers from subpar mastering. If anyone cares, it was recorded in January 1974.

- george

Social source share

Just to make clear I did not win (or bid) on these auctions, I already have a clean copy of the record in my collection. I did post about it though. I believe the winner of the first auction is an active member on SS. I thought that it may have been the same copy that was listed and that first sale fell through, but I'll take your word there were two copies. I didn't check the sound quality, I assume that it plays noisy. The flip side is a good ballad, it's too long though and suffers from subpar mastering. If anyone cares, it was recorded in January 1974.

- george

I'm very sorry, I confused your earlier post about the price of the record with thinking you won it, I'm really sorry. It definitely is a different copy though, this one played worse than the previous one. Thanks.

Social source share

Ive bought loads from this seller.He usually has numerous copies of each record so don't be suprised if other copies surface.Never has mint of any 45's though.

he has mint copies of the store stock he got in detroit.

Social source share

yeah, he definitely has mint records on some stuff, but I get your drift, it can be gruelsville to browse his stuff being a condition freak like I am. He manages to get good prices for his stuff, people check his lists pretty religiously so more power to him if the bidders are not caring about condition.

Social source share

yeah, he definitely has mint records on some stuff, but I get your drift, it can be gruelsville to browse his stuff being a condition freak like I am. He manages to get good prices for his stuff, people check his lists pretty religiously so more power to him if the bidders are not caring about condition.

Plus his listings wouldn't interest you because he doesn't sell many aretha franklin and otis redding 45s. :wicked: ... just kidding!

I care a lot about condition, some very rare records you have to take them as they come. Plus I'm really good at cleaning records, I can generally tell from the clip how it will sound after cleaned.

I remember the first auctions he did, there was all sorts of crazy stuff that nobody had seen for sale before. I remember it was the first time I saw the Honey B's 45, I think I was like the second bidder at around $40.

I wish I could have my collection but skip to ebay 10 years ago.

Social source share

What are polishing & skimming ?

I guess there are a bunch of ways that people do it, but basically it involves removing the top layer of the vinyl / styrene. It does nothing to improve the sound and just makes the record look cleaner -- surface scuffs are gone, the record gets an artificial sheen, and you can see dull half-scratches that used to be deeper scratches. It's a shady practice IMO because it's not cleaning the record any more or helping the play, it just creates an artificial appearance of the record being clean and hides the real condition. Some sellers use it lightly but some sellers grind the record down so there are no visible scratches, even when the record is totally unplayable. I think the sellers that do it think that they're being clever as they're somehow making the record look super clean but it's pretty easy to tell a record has been polished when it has happened, it has a weird shine, there are these weird half-scratches, and it looks wrong. It actually has the weird shine of those RCA dynaflex pressings (and I guess it is difficult to tell if an RCA dynaflex 45 has been polished).

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

How long has this practice been going on ?

Only i bought a couple of records a few years ago from the states and they were advertised as Un played and sure enough they are so shiny , they are like mirrors , just as if they were pressed the day before , but didn't notice any scratches !LoL

Social source share

He gets more than ' good ' prices , way above the norm St Louis based well known dealer who has a big buying public in USA....

Cleared out Detroit with a mailshot to thousands of individual address asking for old soul 45' s ... something of a machine who lists 100s every week across 2 Ebay I D ' s .

Always gets top dollar even for ' average ' 45' s

Social source share

I guess there are a bunch of ways that people do it, but basically it involves removing the top layer of the vinyl / styrene. It does nothing to improve the sound and just makes the record look cleaner -- surface scuffs are gone, the record gets an artificial sheen, and you can see dull half-scratches that used to be deeper scratches. It's a shady practice IMO because it's not cleaning the record any more or helping the play, it just creates an artificial appearance of the record being clean and hides the real condition. Some sellers use it lightly but some sellers grind the record down so there are no visible scratches, even when the record is totally unplayable. I think the sellers that do it think that they're being clever as they're somehow making the record look super clean but it's pretty easy to tell a record has been polished when it has happened, it has a weird shine, there are these weird half-scratches, and it looks wrong. It actually has the weird shine of those RCA dynaflex pressings (and I guess it is difficult to tell if an RCA dynaflex 45 has been polished).

I must be mistaken then.........I thought the idea of polishing / skimming was to make badly scratched records play better? Otherwise there's no point in doing it.

Social source share

I must be mistaken then.........I thought the idea of polishing / skimming was to make badly scratched records play better? Otherwise there's no point in doing it.

it does not make the records play better. it makes them look like they are less damaged than they are. it's purely aesthetic.

Social source share

Sadly you are mistaken - it's simply to improve the appearance of the record, sometimes in order to deceive.

Social source share

Agreed Pete - particularily from those dealers who grade 'visually'...

not all of them, and i don't want to call them out publicly, but at least two arizona sellers that used to be honest are doing this now. one directly admitted it in response to a message about it, another denied it and said he was going to report me to ebay (for what? getting ripped off by him?) but he wrote some stuff which directly contradicted messages sent over a previous sale he sent me of a polished record.

Social source share

I don't understand this...............I know people who have bought records off ebay that played very badly with many pops and clicks. Then I have heard them play that record out, and it has sounded perfect. They said they had the record polished.

Surely if a record has many scratches, and is noisy, it will play better when these scratches have been removed?

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

I don't understand this...............I know people who have bought records off ebay that played very badly with many pops and clicks. Then I have heard them play that record out, and it has sounded perfect. They said they had the record polished.

Surely if a record has many scratches, and is noisy, it will play better when these scratches have been removed?

You can't remove scratches, you can wear them down a little and sometimes you can cut a scratch back into the groove, I used to be able to do that until my eyes went, but if it's bad in the first place, polishing will have no effect whatsoever apart from making it look better. You could give me a record on, say, UK Stateside in terrible condition and I could give it back to you half an hour later in mint condition. Not that I would, but thats how easy it is to do. With certain types of vinyl, boiling water / steam takes the top surface off.

Social source share

I for one am interested in how you clean your records Bob?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It could be possible that the skimming removed some dirt that would have also been removed via cleaning. It definitely doesn't "remove" scratches though.

Social source share

Disappointed in you here Bob ...firstly for revealing the name of someone you thought won it ..and secondly for getting it wrong :lol:

It was actually me who got the first copy :yes:

I was very happy to get it for the price ,and for those who were at Bishop Auckland Cricket club on easter Sunday ..could probably vouch that it sounded ok when i played it out :wink:

Beggars can't be choosers and when something is rare and indemand ...you takes your chances and are very thankful when one comes along .

P.s The previous copy ( a yr back) was slightly better grade and went for $1000 more than mine ,so it would be very interesting to see what a nice clean copy sells for ?

Social source share

My taste in music must be changing because i think this is utter dross, i wouldn't part with a tenner for it in minty condition :ohmy: .....the strange world of .......ahhh you thought i was going to put N soul

.no the collectors need to have a track at any cost, and im utterly guilty of it :thumbup: ....but i would draw the line at this track.... the soundbites are shocking....hope it washed up better Nev.

thank god we've all got different tastes or all my wants would be totally snapped up :yes:

Geeoooooooordie

Social source share

Disappointed in you here Bob ...firstly for revealing the name of someone you thought won it ..and secondly for getting it wrong :lol:

It was actually me who got the first copy :yes:

yeah that was stupid. i apologized... sorry again George.

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

To me Funkyou! is one of the more reliable seller on ebay, period.

i agree with you on that and funkyousounds is also very good
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

It's the same guy, Mickey.

no there is two coz one of em says on his site that you cannot combine the postage with the other coz they two sep people
Social source share

My taste in music must be changing because i think this is utter dross, i wouldn't part with a tenner for it in minty condition :ohmy: .....the strange world of .......ahhh you thought i was going to put N soul

.no the collectors need to have a track at any cost, and im utterly guilty of it :thumbup: ....but i would draw the line at this track.... the soundbites are shocking....hope it washed up better Nev.

thank god we've all got different tastes or all my wants would be totally snapped up :yes:

Geeoooooooordie

Thats not my copy Geordie ...this is the latest copy to surface ..same seller but mine was about a month back .

Utter dross ..lol ..thank god we all don't like the same music eh :(

Social source share

Now THIS is eBay insanity, someone posted on soulstrut earlier, read the description!

https://www.ebay.com/...nc#ht_500wt_922

And some idiot paid £370 for it!

When I started to read that description, I thought it was a bargain, until I saw the actual record was not really anything to do with the Beatles, just someone who just happened to be around at the same time.

But there are Beatles fanatics out there by the thousands - maybe the winner knew what they bought.

Many years ago, I saw a ridiculous item go through eBay - It was just a scrap of paper that had recording notations on it, but it turned out to be recording levels for an Elvis Presley track at Sun. Apparently there was some provenance with it and I think it was well into 4 figures ($).

Social source share

Nowt wrong with this seller at all. Never had a skimmed or polished record from him, and they're gradings/descriptions are always bang on the money.

If they says it's beat it usually is. Always puts a soundclip up anyway so people can take a punt if they want.

I was watching this one too, but decided against it cos i can't clean records up like Bob, nor can i provide epicly funny stories of new glue technics like him either :thumbup:

Azza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!