Pitching Up

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

Do you ever pitch up a record when ur djing to raise the tempo slightly?

A contentious point for some maybe

Social source share

The decks at wigan were permanently pitched up.

some things like Cheryl Gray - You don't Love Me anymore actually need pitching down by about 6-8%!!

:yes:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Was playing something earlier...pat lewis - watch out. Pitched it up a couple of notches and I felt it lifted it to a much higher level

Social source share

I use the pitch when DJing, not to make specific records sound better but to better match the tempos of adjacent records (this is for live DJing, not the radio show). I don't actually blend the records like a "real" DJ would do though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't agree with this and I think I'm quite well known in my neck of the woods for saying so.

Some people don't have record players with pitch control.

If a record isn't suitable at the correct speed for whatever scene you belong to, then go find another one that does. Another record that is. There's plenty out there.

Nothing worse than hearing a record out, then spending time and effort to track one down, only to find it's been speeded up or down and therefore sounds slow or fast on your record player at home.

Each to their own I guess.

Social source share

Do you think this was ever done at the recording studio, I've got a feeling stuff was messed about with all the time during production?!

Probably was. But I'm one of those that thinks that once it's been released, that's it, no more messing about with it.

Like I said, each to their own.

Social source share

I don't agree with this and I think I'm quite well known in my neck of the woods for saying so.

If a record isn't suitable at the correct speed for whatever scene you belong to, then go find another one that does. Another record that is. There's plenty out there.

Nothing worse than hearing a record out, then spending time and effort to track one down, only to find it's been speeded up or down and therefore sounds slow or fast on your record player at home.

The thing is, IMHO you should only pitch something up to give it a little bit of an edge, say a crossover tune can be given a bit more punch if it's tweaked up a bit. I don't think many records work if they're pitched any more than + or -2 though, although something like Irene Scott - Everyday Worries works at +4 because her voice is deep and it sounds normal pitched up, it also sounds great on the dancefloor. Vivian Lee and the Hard Drivers - Since I was a little Girl sounds much better and less manic at -2.

Jordi

Social source share

vivian lee needs pitching up + 2 to get the full ghetto effect :lol:

there's something satisfying about paying a set of music as intended without any movement but if you feel some thing needs to be done then why not just do it just do it.

Social source share

a lot of mastertapes are pitched up a quartertone at the cutting stage to tighten up the bass I was told years ago in a cutting room by George Peckham (legendary Porky's Prime Cuts man), so they're not at the right speed anyway to start with. This argument is over anyway, it was in about 1974 lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I imagine if you're dj'ing at a venue with no pitch control on the decks, that the turntables are also pretty crappy and the cartridge is cheap and old and uncalibrated and broken and the stylus is messing up your records. All of those things also interfere with how the record is "supposed" to sound.

Anyways, I think pitching a record up or down can enhance people's experience via providing more continuity across songs (although I understand that on the northern scene that people often talk in between tracks so that it's less of an issue I guess). Also, if it makes a song sound better, and you're not doing +8 but slight changes, it can make a huge difference and make things more enjoyable without "ruining" it for a fan of the song. Also, lots of records were actually pressed at the wrong speed. My friend and I transferred the Newsound "Betcha never even thought about it" from the original tapes and it was actually much slower than the 45. The reason that side is so good is because of the faster speed, it doesn't work as well slower. If it were released with the correct speed it would have been a more forgettable track and pitching up would have greatly improved it. I can think of lots of other records that were screwed up in the mastering / pressing phase. Also, do you disagree with using the EQ on the mixer?

Social source share

Depends on the record !!! But thats what the pitch is there for!!! It's a personal choice :yes::thumbsup:

Just realised something.

DJing - pitch control - often available and often used.

Not DJing - usually no pitch control - played at speed the record was set at.

Notice I didn't say intended to be played at.

Social source share

Not totally against it when done right,but isnt this practice creating something out of almost nothing.? I'd get it wrong anyway and pitch up when it should be down.

you also have to make sure you're playing the correct side of the record as well as putting the record onto the turntable vs. trying to insert it into the CD player

• Helpful 1
Social source share

do you disagree with using the EQ on the mixer?

I see what you're getting at and a valid point it is too. Can't and won't argue with that.

But pitching up or down? Well, I DID say, each to their own. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just realised something.

DJing - pitch control - often available and often used.

Not DJing - usually no pitch control - played at speed the record was set at.

Notice I didn't say intended to be played at.

I must admit I do tend to play at the 45rpm no + or - but some records do need playing with and also not all decks play at 45rpm check out the strobe on the turntable a lot of the time the decks run slow after a bit of use!! Technics and a few others have a built in device that automatically sets this if you are set on the middle balance!!

Social source share

I must admit I do tend to play at the 45rpm no + or - but some records do need playing with and also not all decks play at 45rpm check out the strobe on the turntable a lot of the time the decks run slow after a bit of use!! Technics and a few others have a built in device that automatically sets this if you are set on the middle balance!!

I have a belt driven Thorens TD 150. So as you can see, I have no pitch control whatsoever.

Social source share

I used to pitch up and down when Dj'ing but never more than +/- 2, and purely for the dancers. If I am recording a track for home enjoyment, it will always be at 45 rpm exactly.

My good friend Karl Heard was the master of the pitch control. He had no qualms about pitching some tunes up or down to the maximum. Like someone else commented earlier though, it was a shock when you heard them at the manufactured speed. But he could make a winner out of a duffer, a great Dj.

Also, the people who have turntables with no pitch control, and who think they are purists. You better get your equipment checked regularly, because I have owned decks that have been miles off pitch when checked by an audio technician. One in particular I had for years, and all my recordings are ruined as the speed is too fast. You get used to your own turntable, so you don't notice any subtle changes. Some electrical components can deteriorate over the years, as can belts. I had to have some components renewed in my Sound Burger, and that had never been used.

With a Technics 1200 or similar, you can see that the turntable is spinning at the true speed, with the strobe. Peace of mind.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Also, the people who have turntables with no pitch control, and who think they are purists. You better get your equipment checked regularly, because I have owned decks that have been miles off pitch when checked by an audio technician. One in particular I had for years, and all my recordings are ruined as the speed is too fast. You get used to your own turntable, so you don't notice any subtle changes. Some electrical components can deteriorate over the years, as can belts. I had to have some components renewed in my Sound Burger, and that had never been used.

Like I said earlier, I have a Thorens TD 150 with no pitch control, not because I'm a "purist", but because that was the hand I was dealt when I first bought my record player . . . . second hand . . . . and I've still got it all these years later.

But you're right, they should be checked regularly, especially the belt. I'm on my 3rd so far.

Social source share

Ehh no, the decks have pitch control to allow you to seamlessy mix, beat perfect, the outro of one record into the intro of another, bloody hard to do with soul music or less of a tempo so would love to hear you lot try!! Leave it to masters like the much maligned on here Colin Curtis, suspect he could teach you a thing or two when it comes to that!

Otherwise the answer is no as you are obviously papering over cracks in your collection, yes you Mr G its a well known fact you need even more records, and need to try harder to choose the right set of records.

And anyone mentioning Soul Essence, -4 and no sleep for 2 days will get a toe where the sun don't shine!

Social source share

ive pitched up and down and will always do so....only by +-2.....tunes like ronnie mitchells hang loose is a great record but impossible to dance to at normal speed for me and probably everyone not under 21 and/or on a gram of speed!.....take it down a bit and its a top uptempo dancer everyone can enjoy.....

i fully understand the arguement about originals v any other format but keeping to the 'intended speed' or not playing it at all is bollox IMHO....but each to there own ;-)

dean

Social source share

and for those who think its wrong what would you do if you were on the floor dancin your arse off to something you didnt know....ran to the decks to find shock horror it pitched up a whole +2!!!...does that mean all of a sudden you wouldnt like it ?...and wish you'd never have heard it?...cos thats just odd

Social source share

Like I said earlier, I have a Thorens TD 150 with no pitch control, not because I'm a "purist", but because that was the hand I was dealt when I first bought my record player . . . . second hand . . . . and I've still got it all these years later.

But you're right, they should be checked regularly, especially the belt. I'm on my 3rd so far.

Nice piece of Kit Denbo and not a bad 'hand' to be deal IMHO. If I had a Thorens TD150 I wouldn't give a s**t about having a pitch control. I'm sure that the market this turntable was aimed at had no need for pitch control either. I can't envisage many people of my Dad's generation discussing whatever or not the recordings of the London Symphonic Orchestra sounded better at +2 or -2.

best,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

and for those who think its wrong what would you do if you were on the floor dancin your arse off to something you didnt know....ran to the decks to find shock horror it pitched up a whole +2!!!...does that mean all of a sudden you wouldnt like it ?...and wish you'd never have heard it?...cos thats just odd

Or when you get to the decks thinking "This is brilliant,just like mine at home but better.." only to discover it is your version,and you never knew how good it could really sound..... :wicked:

Social source share

ive pitched up and down and will always do so....only by +-2.....tunes like ronnie mitchells hang loose is a great record but impossible to dance to at normal speed for me and probably everyone not under 21 and/or on a gram of speed!.....take it down a bit and its a top uptempo dancer everyone can enjoy.....

i fully understand the arguement about originals v any other format but keeping to the 'intended speed' or not playing it at all is bollox IMHO....but each to there own ;-)

dean

Agree on Ronnie Mitchell,sounds better down a bit.Nice old Torch spin.

Social source share

dean

True :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!