Album Only D.j.'s - Are There Any Out There ?

Was at home in Scotland for the weekend and was talking too a good mate of mine who has given up the ardous trek of 45 hunting ( ONLY TAKEN HIM 30 YRS !! ) and is now dj'ing with albums only , his spots have gone rather well and I was wondering apart from the odd album only slot at wkndrs , occassional soul night , does anybody ONLY play album tracks out in their set set / demand ?? :g:

I have dj'd with albums solely in the past and YES it's a pain in the bum but the overall wealth of music at your disposal is outstanding for varities of choice , tempo , dancers , ballads , etc .... ?

Let's hear it then ?

date-vinyl-records-800x800.jpg

:wicked:

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

Guest Gogs

Haven't ever played off an lp doing a dj spot, But feel the need to ask are these lp's ovo or compilations as if the former i would have to carry loads of them to get some choice/variation in my spot. NOT trying to go down the ovo road as it's been done to death but just interested.

Social source share

Won't be long before wee willie posts up.....

Dont know of many LP only djs but lots of collectors who collect primarily LPs - had a few hundred myself at one point. In the 80s I always remember Stuart Spence from Fife was a huge LP fan and had a room literally stuffed full of LPs. I am sure his was the first LP only spots I heard at a soul night in Kirkcaldy. There were also a few us around the Fife / Dundee area Scotland at that time who were into the deeper / ballad side of things as well as sixties who had fairly impressive collections. Still are some who collect LPs only - Mr O'Connor maybe sure there are many others (Big H etc)?

I can only think the (UK) market for LPs overall remains poor in relation to 45s coz of the DJ 'hassle' of cuing up and lugging them around but folk miss out on so many quality LP-only tracks. It's a bizarre attitude, but never mind, leaves the LP 'scene' all the more affordable to those who want it! Not saying all LPs all cheap by any means, there are very rare ones. But took me about 6 months to shift a spare Metros RCA LP for £50 with one of the most handsome LP covers you can get and has all the bonus stuff, yet folks would snap up 'Since I found my baby' 45 at the same time for 3 times the price. Also can't beat the aesthetic appeal of a nice 1960's LP cover for me.

I'm actually after a few LPs at present if anybody's got 'owt from the Carolinas.....

Edited by mark w.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I sometimes slip lp tracks in but word of warning to everyone to change the speed back to 45. Oops.

Social source share

Album DJ sets are a bit of a lotttery. There's not much 'punch' on the tracks due to the thinness of the grooves and the difference is really discernable when you play an album track after a 45. Also, album tracks have to be played on a great sound-system to sound even halfway decent. Unfortunately most systems aren't really set-up to get the best from albums. You can often get howling feedback, severe bass distortion and other horrible noises as you desperately try and up the volume whilst looking at a bemused dance-floor who are wondering why the volume suddenly halved. I think they're best for home use but I applaud anyone who has the conviction to try and get around the above problems!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Album DJ sets are a bit of a lotttery. There's not much 'punch' on the tracks due to the thinness of the grooves and the difference is really discernable when you play an album track after a 45. Also, album tracks have to be played on a great sound-system to sound even halfway decent. Unfortunately most systems aren't really set-up to get the best from albums. You can often get howling feedback, severe bass distortion and other horrible noises as you desperately try and up the volume whilst looking at a bemused dance-floor who are wondering why the volume suddenly halved. I think they're best for home use but I applaud anyone who has the conviction to try and get around the above problems!

Its tricky indeed Ian, but as I heard a promoter say recently' gain gain, f'christ sakes have you never heard of gain!' you can get equally as incompitant slots from the technically incompodent playing offa 45's.

Social source share

Went through some shop shelves in downtown Tokyo today...an absolute album collectors dream - Timeless Legend, Timothy Wilson, Frankie Geearing, California Playboys, early Motown a plenty, rare James Brown King titles...endless! If only the £ was stronger and the Yen weaker I'd be buying 'em up to re-sell!

:glare:

Social source share

Steve Plumb does album only sets sometimes.

Certainly do Steve!

I've done an 100% LP-Only Set (OVO of course!) at Soul Essence for the last seven years. I started out doing them at The Orwell back in the day! I don't think i ever do a normal set without at least a couple of LP tracks and the sound isn't an issue if you remember to tweak your settings before and after each track you play! A good sound system does help though!

I love me 45's but wouldn't be without me LP's when DJing

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Its tricky indeed Ian, but as I heard a promoter say recently' gain gain, f'christ sakes have you never heard of gain!' you can get equally as incompitant slots from the technically incompodent playing offa 45's.

True, true but I still say albums are tricky. I could NEVER get a decent volume off Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" on whatever system. Gain is all very well as long as you have enough reserve in a decent-size amp and you can dick around with the bass level 'cos it almost invariably starts rumbling with bass feedback. I really don't think the grooves are big enough for general club play UNLESS you have a system that's well geared up to accomodate 'em.

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Certainly do Steve!

I've done an 100% LP-Only Set (OVO of course!) at Soul Essence for the last seven years. I started out doing them at The Orwell back in the day! I don't think i ever do a normal set without at least a couple of LP tracks and the sound isn't an issue if you remember to tweak your settings before and after each track you play! A good sound system does help though!

Cheers

Steve

Actually complete album-only sets are probably good as the sound levels will be consistent throughout. Do you notice a lot of difference in the fidelity of 60's abums compared to 70's and 80's albums Steve? The 60's ones sound much less compressed to me and a lot brighter in the mix......

Social source share

Actually complete album-only sets are probably good as the sound levels will be consistent throughout. Do you notice a lot of difference in the fidelity of 60's abums compared to 70's and 80's albums Steve? The 60's ones sound much less compressed to me and a lot brighter in the mix......

True, 60's lp's are as good as 7ts 12's in some cases, mono seems to work better as early stereo separation can be very ropey

Social source share

Certainly do Steve!

Cheers

Steve

You most certainly do Plumby - and your set remains one the highlights of the whole Soul Essence weekend for me!!

Lofty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went through some shop shelves in downtown Tokyo today...an absolute album collectors dream - Timeless Legend, Timothy Wilson, Frankie Geearing, California Playboys, early Motown a plenty, rare James Brown King titles...endless! If only the £ was stronger and the Yen weaker I'd be buying 'em up to re-sell!

:glare:

Hey I am over there in a few weeks - whaere are the bargains then? :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Will West does some great spots album only

Heard him a couple of times doing LP only spots , both were brilliant . I've been collecting albums for a good while now , some truely amazing stuff on them.

Social source share

Not as good as Plumby though Kev

Yes, remember one friday night at Prestatyn, in one of the small side rooms, myself, Gaz Simon and Kev Johnson sat in the leather seats that were supplied and listened and raved to one of Steve,s album sets, still talk about that night today.

Kev

Social source share

Hi Ian

You're right, a full set means not having to twiddle each time :thumbsup:

Many 60's LP's do have brighter mixes but not all! Garland Green Revue LP is well lo-fi whereas I've never had a problem with Clyde McPhatter LP as both tracks seem to bounce out the grooves!

Social source share

I think half the trouble is that they are just too heavy to cart around 290gm vs 58gm for a 45 on average......certainly too heavy to bring a load back from the States anymore. I remember coming back with a suitcase full before now...

Some great LP tracks around. Might even do a LP only warm up spot before the LP master at the next "Dab of Soul"!!!

I do play an LP section on my radio show every week...always suprises a few people.

OK, so that is the radio show plugged, Dab of soul plugged...did I mention I had a new website with loads of great Lps for sale!?

Chris

Edited by Chris Anderton
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I always have an LP box with me. Why restrict yourself to 45s, makes no sense to me when a large % of the greatest soul tracks out there are on LP. As for LPs not selling for as much as 45s that isn't true. There are hundreds of LPs that regularly sell for 3 figures and, as with 45s, the top bucks ones can make £500+. Just because LPs have never been much of a part of the Northern scene in the UK, doesn't mean they aren't in demand.

Ian makes a good point about fidelity though., These problems with low levels are particularly true of Atlantic/Cotillion & family albums.

Social source share

I always have an LP box with me. Why restrict yourself to 45s, makes no sense to me when a large % of the greatest soul tracks out there are on LP. As for LPs not selling for as much as 45s that isn't true. There are hundreds of LPs that regularly sell for 3 figures and, as with 45s, the top bucks ones can make £500+. Just because LPs have never been much of a part of the Northern scene in the UK, doesn't mean they aren't in demand.

Ian makes a good point about fidelity though., These problems with low levels are particularly true of Atlantic/Cotillion & family albums.

er ? who mentiond lp's not selling for as mutch as 45's ? i didnt .ive bought them .

regarding laws ect' notice i used the word thought !! ......nothing suprises me anymore . most people i know who buy original first press records also adhere to playing lp only tracks so long as it only came out on lp and not a 45 . if you follow one rule then you follow them all ? or so i thought :g: .and many others also .... what other people do is up to them . having said that ive done it once or twice and ended up selling the lp as i didnt feel right playing the harvey avern track on an lp even tho every bugger and his dog does but thats me .

so in answer to your question .... there are lots of issues regarding lp's its another can of worms that if you want to avoid then you stick to lp track only and i would be here all day explaining all the misgivings,

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

similar to what chris said above, something that always bummed me out about LPs is the amount of wasted space or weight if you're gigging with them. carrying a box of "one trackers" on 45 rather than LP is much more attractive the older you get. i mean, one could pack just 4 Kent sampler LPs & rock the party but at that point, what is the point? one might as well bring their laptop or CDs instead.

Social source share

Sorry Steptoe, I'm not with you, what has value got to do with anything? What if I turn it around and say people shouldn't be playing Tal Armstrong "So much feeling in your love" on the 45 because the LP is worth much more? It's all rubbish, if its a good record and its on the original format then it should be played, whether 7", 12" LP CD or even download. PS. Can't argue that lugging the bug*gers around is a chore though!

Social source share

eh? i think most people understand what im saying but nevermind . i thought i explained my reason for lp only tracks ? and the can of worms ect'? and like it or not the truth is value has lots to do with it even tho it was you more than me who mentions value post 35 , but anyway its all rubbish then :thumbsup: ok mate

obviously my comments are related to northern soul dj ing with lp's as thats what i took this thread to mean . some great lp's around with great tracks on them we all know that , funny how not one person has come on here and said yes thats what i thought about the lp track only rule ethics decision .but are very happy to bitch about it in private

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

... hundreds of LPs that regularly sell for 3 figures and, as with 45s, the top bucks ones can make £500+. Just because LPs have never been much of a part of the Northern scene in the UK, doesn't mean they aren't in demand..

There is a huge market for them over here as the music scene/collectors are not led by DJs.

This morning I spotted on the shelves, Milton Wright 'Space Music', Natural Four on ABC, Chosen Few on Maple, Ruby Andrews on Zodiac along with many. many other desirable pieces.

As Chalky mentioned earlier, you can sit down for a little longer whilst listening to them at home...and they also make fantastic artwork to display in the record room!

The worldwide market place is already switched on to them and the Northern collectors will follow soon :thumbup:

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

RE: As Chalky mentioned earlier, you can sit down for a little longer whilst listening to them at home.

..... I've got about 15,000 x soul / gospel / blues 45's ... but when at home, I put LP's or CD's on the stereo system & I can then get on with something else (posting here for instance).

If I decide to play some 45's, then I have to stand next to the deck which is OK for 15 to 20 mins but then gets tiring -- no room for a comfy chair in the record room & the bed is always covered in records, books, mags, CD's, etc (you may have already guessed that I don't like tidying up & 'putting away').

Social source share

I think there`s some top lp only tracks out there and you have the added bonus of sometimes having 2/3+ tracks to use like :

Pulse lp(7" is not ovo lol)

C.a.t lp(Whole lp is class)

The Ascots on Crazy Cajun.

Let`s talk lp-Ray Alexander Technique.

Specialty lp-Spanky Wilson.

Let it ouT LP-jAMES Conwell.

Black Gold-Mighty Chevelles.

Downside is you gotta lug em around i agree,so i only fully load me lp box up when i`m either driving or someone else is, save having arms like an orang-outang :ohmy:

Good news is i`m gonna be spinning a few of the above at The Red bar Saturday so you can check em out ...Cheap plug :D:thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've heard Brett Franklin do a couple of LP only sets, full of tunes that are either LP only tracks or LP only mixes of the track.

Plumby too as mentioned, and Will West are the others who spring to mind.

There's some fantastic LP only tracks that deserve more air time at soul events; stuff from all tempos and genres.

Nothing better than buying an LP (often for one album only tune) and finding another little gem on there.

Like Chalky said, if you're playing em at home, it's far easier than 45's.............unless you have a dancette or such like.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If I decide to play some 45's, then I have to stand next to the deck which is OK for 15 to 20 mins but then gets tiring -- no room for a comfy chair in the record room & the bed is always covered in records, books, mags, CD's, etc (you may have already guessed that I don't like tidying up & 'putting away').

Best get rid of that bed then, John! :rofl:

Social source share

In answer to post #36.I can only speak from experience. I was told at two different venues that I was playing tracks that had been released on singles.

The first being,Edwin Starr,You've got my soul on fire. That I now have on a single.

Tony Fox,Love,Let Love,And Be Loved, The Beginning LP. Was the other one.

I now try to make sure that the LP tracks that I play are, LP only tracks and are the original LP only. I've never bought a cheap reissue.

Regards.

Pat.

Edited by pat bleasdale
Social source share

Certainly do Steve!

Cheers

Steve

I love my LP OVO sets at the North Lancs Soul Festival Morecambe Weekender as well mate, looking forward to the next one at the end of the month. Also my radio shows now are primarily LPs tracks. I love me LPs I do, always have, always will. :)

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

Bring the level of those LP tracks up to scratch by recording them to MP3 and playing it from a CD-R, that should be sufficiently politically incorrect!! LOL

Doesn't it count if you have the LP playing on the decks with the arm up at the same time you're playing the CD . . . :g::D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!