Album Only D.j.'s - Are There Any Out There ?

Played LP tracks all my working life.

Can't imagine why any Soul DJ would limit their playlists entirely to 45.

The LP only sets I've heard over the years, particularly from Steve Plumb, are always refreshing, entertaining and enlightening.

Who in their right mind could object to that?

Say no to Format Fascism.

:D

Sean

Have to admit, that 'LP only if not on 45' 'rule' is a new one on me.

You really couldn't make some of this stuff up could you! :lol:

Roger

Social source share

Have to admit, that 'LP only if not on 45' 'rule' is a new one on me.

You really couldn't make some of this stuff up could you! :lol:

Roger

Difficult to keep up with all the 'rules' Roger.

I suggest an online Rule Book, which could be continuously updated (by the regulatory body, of course) would be a really useful tool for DeeJays.

We could check online before a gig, or register to receive email bulletins, to avoid any unfortunate misdemeanours (bearing in mind that ignorance is no excuse).

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I suggest an online Rule Book, which could be continuously updated (by the regulatory body, of course) would be a really useful tool for DeeJays.

I suggest ignoring them all mate and just playing good music. :wink:

How's this for comedy ebay LP sale of the day . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATRICE-RUSHEN-watch-out-/400251724186?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5d30dca19a#ht_1212wt_824

There's 68 for sale on discogs starting at 31 pence!! What a top hat!! :lol:

Cheers

Roger

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that 'LP only if not on 45' 'rule' is a new one on me.

There are tunes where I prefer the LP (or 12") version better than the 7".

Johnny Taylor - Blues In The Night would I be chastised for playing it from the LP instead of the foreign EP. Should CD's be included in this thread too? What about playing Chuck Jackson What's With This Loneliness from CD, would the lynch mob be out even though its the original format?

Is it better to play Reginald Garland's Gangster Girl from the CD or LP, or doesn't that count?

Social source share

There are tunes where I prefer the LP (or 12") version better than the 7".

Johnny Taylor - Blues In The Night would I be chastised for playing it from the LP instead of the foreign EP. Should CD's be included in this thread too? What about playing Chuck Jackson What's With This Loneliness from CD, would the lynch mob be out even though its the original format?

Is it better to play Reginald Garland's Gangster Girl from the CD or LP, or doesn't that count?

Probably best not to regurgitate that old chestnut, John, it's been sicked up too many times over the years mate. :lol:

I'd just never heard of the LP 'rule' before today.

Roger

Social source share

Well some of us have to settle for the LP version because we can't afford the 45 . I am really pleased in that I have just picked up Delihla Moore's This is love on an LP ( thanks for the heads up SS) which I would never own on 45 . Same applies for my Peachtree LP for Emory & the Dynamics and also the Free Angela LP for Little Tommy , which is a tad slower and very nice too. yes my LP collection is growing :)

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Difficult to keep up with all the 'rules' Roger.

We could check online before a gig, or register to receive email bulletins, to avoid any unfortunate misdemeanours (bearing in mind that ignorance is no excuse).

Sean

Well some of us have to settle for the LP version because we can't afford the 45 . I am really pleased in that I have just picked up Delihla Moore's This is love on an LP ( thanks for the heads up SS) which I would never own on 45 . Same applies for my Peachtree LP for Emory & the Dynamics and also the Free Angela LP for Little Tommy , which is a tad slower and very nice too. yes my LP collection is growing :)

Surely (contemporaneous) OV is OV whether on 45 or LP as opposed to reissues/boots/compilations/greatest hits etc?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love my LP OVO sets at the North Lancs Soul Festival Morecambe Weekender as well mate, looking forward to the next one at the end of the month.

Cheers

Roger

Well there'll be me, you & Brett (and probably a few others) all vying to get LP tracks into our sets at Morecambe Rog :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Well there'll be me, you & Brett (and probably a few others) all vying to get LP tracks into our sets at Morecambe Rog :thumbsup:

Hi Steve, Roger, yes i'll sure be playing LP's at Morecambe, i always feature them in any dj spot, (why wouldn't we..Hey ?), there is so much great music out there on the format, no rules for me but just the one of taste.

:) Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I will only play LP only tracks if they are near the end of the side - that way I can cut them down so they fit in my Swan flightcase. I always play 'Please Give Me One More Chance' from the Clyde McPhatter album. Sadly I have not played 'Anyone Can Tell' for some time now :o(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not by any means LP only sets but some Lps I've recently played in sets include...

Richard Popcorn Wylie - ABC

Bobby Womack - Tryin to get over you

Luther

Righteous Brothers

Van McCoy (Dancin)

Windjammer

Lifestyle

And some I forget.....

I'm now looking to get the LP rather than the 45 simply for the extra tracks you get and often because it's cheaper leaving more money to spend on more vinyl :-) don't think it will be too long before 45 buying stops altogether and just concentrate on LPs.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I will only play LP only tracks if they are near the end of the side - that way I can cut them down so they fit in my Swan flightcase. I always play 'Please Give Me One More Chance' from the Clyde McPhatter album. Sadly I have not played 'Anyone Can Tell' for some time now :o(

Another cracking post full of Lofty irony :D :D :D

Social source share

I'm now looking to get the LP rather than the 45 simply for the extra tracks you get and often because it's cheaper leaving more money to spend on more vinyl :-) don't think it will be too long before 45 buying stops altogether and just concentrate on LPs.

If this was ever to be true Chalky I would be the happiest man alive with my dealer, collector OR DJ head on LOL

Not sure I agree BUT I want to, so here's hoping? :yes:

Social source share

I'm now looking to get the LP rather than the 45 simply for the extra tracks you get and often because it's cheaper leaving more money to spend on more vinyl :-)

I've always wondered why more people don't think that way Chalky, to me it's common sense. I understand that folks like the 45 as an collectable object, but in terms of the music, to me it's never made sense to fork out a three figure or upwards sum for one track when you can get that same song as part of an LP for a fraction of the cost, leaving you more money to spend on more music, plus the added bonus of the extra tracks, it's why I've collected LPs rather than 45s my whole life. Absolutely the right way to look at it mate.

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

Can't say I'm a LP only DJ but then again never shyed away from playing a LP track as and when, and why not, as Steve said Metros LP inc the great " I'll Never Forget You" only last Saturday had a request for Glady Knight " He's My Kind Of Fellow" off the Everybody Needs Love LP, so many tunes out there, is a bugger carrying them tho'

Barry

Social source share

is a bugger carrying them tho'

Barry

Definitely the downside of it, Barry. You could always blag a box-bitch into carting them around for you though as some of the 'big names' do, so you can conserve your energy for taking them out of the sleeves, lifting the stylus and pressing play. :)

Social source share

Definitely the downside of it, Barry. You could always blag a box-bitch into carting them around for you though as some of the 'big names' do, so you can conserve your energy for taking them out of the sleeves, lifting the stylus and pressing play. :)

not a 'big name' so have to do it myself :lol:

Social source share

Lol my album arrived today with the Delihla Moore's This love on it .

My god you couldn't afford to make the mistake of playing the wrong track , the sounds preceding sound like tracks from The Untouchables lol , what a contrary album is this "Hit em hard" ... OOps just realized its a film sound track album wow .. I love Her I need your love too ! got a funky edge to it very nice .

Actually Being Wise is good too , yes three nice Delihla tracks for 40.00 pounds :hatsoff2: I think Richard Searling was saying the single of This is love is around 500.00 quid ... I am well pleased

BTW there is another one sitting to be picked up on musicstack :thumbsup:

I owe Ga :wub: reth one of these :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Lol my album arrived today with the Delihla Moore's This love on it .

My god you couldn't afford to make the mistake of playing the wrong track , the sounds preceding sound like tracks from The Untouchables lol , what a contrary album is this "Hit em hard" ... OOps just realized its a film sound track album wow .. I love Her I need your love too ! got a funky edge to it very nice .

Actually Being Wise is good too , yes three nice Delihla tracks for 40.00 pounds :hatsoff2: I think Richard Searling was saying the single of This is love is around 500.00 quid ... I am well pleased

BTW there is another one sitting to be picked up on musicstack :thumbsup:

I owe Ga :wub: reth one of these :hatsoff2:

200393530739.jpg

Bargain price for a quality track :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was amazed I have only just heard this ? Richard Searling played it at Blackpool last week in one of the afternoon sessions ( Cream of the crop for me )

A Mecca spin - its on one of the Mecca Cds. I think album is a 'fake' soundtrack - the film does not exist , thinks it is just a bit of a blaxploitation parody.

Social source share

With reference to the Hesitations "Soul Superman" set, a great LP packed with great tunes, but don,t ignore the "Born Free" LP,this is also rammed with great tunes, great ballads for the soul room at home and some great movers for the dancefloor, check out "We Can Do It" great mover with as you would expect fantastic vocal performance from the guys

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Chalky, regular play in this house, although most if not all tracks are available on 45

Kev

They are Kev, but you could take the LP with you and save space for half dozen extra 45's in the box.......a lot cheaper too than trying to buy the 45s now.

Social source share

Just noticed this, great thread 123- Motown by the way..... I only collect albums (don't own a 45) and dj occasionally, I can't understand why people complain about carrying a few Lp's and some of them even go out and get a Lp track carved on 45 so they can play it out...... why!! :g:, get a lightweight laptop satchel and sling it over your shoulder.... easy.

I only say to people that I play 'album track only, cover versions & underplayed tunes', because I don't know enough about 45's and in the past few years what was an album only track has been discovered on Ep's and French/German issue 45's, some tracks i'll play because I want to hear them out and always play what I like and think is suitable to that venue..

Some album tracks are slightly different than the 45 and are better imho.

Willie West...... sometimes called 12" Willie :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Edited by Soulgrit
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!