Acapella Tracks - Your Choice

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Only the Persuasions are Acapella i.e. sung without backing - the others were sung with backing then mixed with the backing tracks removed - a different kettle of fish altogether !

You're right Mike,technically,but its only a bit of fun. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Probally the most famous and well known acapella is First Choice - Let No Man Put Us Under, cut spliced and pasted over literally hundreds of tracks.

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

Little Ann singing "What Shall I Do" and the Prophets "(If I Had) One Gold Piece.

Certainly got to go with Little Ann, blew me away when I first heard it on my car stereo when those masters were found (see fairly recent thread???) and what about Babs McNair "You're gonna love my baby" where you can hear every breath she takes..... truly awesome.

PS Chalky... not forgotten about the tapes, just struggling to find time and a hoist to get in the loft. There's the William Bell interview in that lot somewhere which would tie in nicely with the Cleethorpes thread, think that goes back to '95 when he appeared at the at the Cala Gran. Remember Tim Brown making a comment that he (unusually) liked the interview but couln't understand why I hadn't asked William why "Happy" was such an un-sounding Stax record. So I phoned William back and he said "Well that just how it was written. What more can I say" which is why I probably never asked the question in the first place.

Right sorry, totally off topic. Barbara McNair acapella.... Listen and enjoy

Steve

Social source share

Whatever people think, still one of the most remarkable vocal performances ever by a performer of that age..... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

it would just have to be

First choice- let no man put assunder, closley followed by 'doctor love'. There's loads of great disco Acca's on the 'anonomous' series, always loved the

'you aint really down' track, but cant remeber the artist, Ian? anyone? there not credited on the LP's.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

This a bit left field - but bear with me.

Back in the 60's I used to see a cracking live band called Tony Rivers & the Castaways. As the name suggests they did mainly covers of Beach Boys and other surf records.

They were another of the bands of that era that regretably struggled to carry the vibe of their live performances over on to vinyl.

But here - all these years later - is "Tony Rivers" doing an acapella version (all voices!) of the Tymes monster from 1963.

(P.S. amongst TR's career highlights are loads of covers on those Top of the Pops L.P.'s you could buy in Woollies :thumbup: and the theme tune for Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads :thumbup: :thumbup: )

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!