Guy Hennigan & Colin Wood

Present

GROOVY GROOVES

at

The Top Deck Club

Macauley Street

Huddersfield

HD1 2JY

(Directly opposite entrance to bus station)

Saturday 7th January 2006

Guests Andy Whitmore & Dean Anderson

Resident Soul Providers

Guy Hennigan, Eddie Engel & Colin Wood

9.00pm - 3.00am bar til 2.00am £6 otd

No admittance after midnight

Committed to playing upfront, great Northern Soul plus quality oldies

For more details contact Colin 07970 174878

Edited by rider
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fab guest DJ's. Not forgetting that Dave Brennan and his beautiful wife will be there to celebrate Daves 40th. Should be a great night.

Hope that no shite R&B gets played, though if memory serves me right, Dave and Kate quite like it.....

See you then!

If anyone likes R&B - shite or otherwise - can always go elsewhere...

Get a life will you lot please, I'm sure it's not effected your venue is the slightest and anyone with a brain could see what was meant, though Colin admitted it was not the best choice of words. It seems that this night that get's a dedicated if small crowd thus far seems to threaten you when it shouldn't.

All Soul music is just Rhythm & Blues with a Gospel twist, that's all. I think what Colin and Guy meant was that you won't hear blatant Rock'n'Roll records which have no place on the soul scene or R'n'B scene.

At the last one there was a few cracking "Hard Soul / R'n'B" records like "Black Wings" by Hayes Cotton and what about "Chaos" the Lord Thunder cover up, that Guy plays. In fact Guy & Keb was renowned for playing records like this in the 80's along with mid-tempo beat ballads. I would also bet that there are a lot of records played at your venue that would have been played by Guy or the other 6T's mafia d.j.'s in the 80's.

Why don't you go along to the next one and see for yourself, one thing is certain the music is first class, especially when you have d.j.'s like Kitch, Dean Anderson, Colin Law and Andy Dyson who have already been guests there. Then with Eddie, Guy and Col mopping up the spare hours you can't go wrong.

This is not meant as a confrontational reply, I just think with the amount of venues around why bother slagging each other off. I told Col the same!

Bluepower-soul

The best in Blues & Northern Soul

Get a life will you lot please, I'm sure it's not effected your venue is the slightest and anyone with a brain could see what was meant, though Colin admitted it was not the best choice of words. It seems that this night that get's a dedicated if small crowd thus far seems to threaten you when it shouldn't.

All Soul music is just Rhythm & Blues with a Gospel twist, that's all. I think what Colin and Guy meant was that you won't hear blatant Rock'n'Roll records which have no place on the soul scene or R'n'B scene.

At the last one there was a few cracking "Hard Soul / R'n'B" records like "Black Wings" by Hayes Cotton and what about "Chaos" the Lord Thunder cover up, that Guy plays. In fact Guy & Keb was renowned for playing records like this in the 80's along with mid-tempo beat ballads. I would also bet that there are a lot of records played at your venue that would have been played by Guy or the other 6T's mafia d.j.'s in the 80's.

Why don't you go along to the next one and see for yourself, one thing is certain the music is first class, especially when you have d.j.'s like Kitch, Dean Anderson, Colin Law and Andy Dyson who have already been guests there. Then with Eddie, Guy and Col mopping up the spare hours you can't go wrong.

This is not meant as a confrontational reply, I just think with the amount of venues around why bother slagging each other off. I told Col the same!

Bluepower-soul

Good post..

I think the wording did get to a few people and has made a difference with regards to numbers,some people are easy to piss off..I know Colin and co meant that Rock N roll type stuff only..Its a hard job to set up a new night like this with so much on within 1 hours drive..Like you say its quality djs and music all the way..Colin just mopping up :thumbsup: ,i bet he likes them words..Good luck to you all the promoters in 2006,work hard because nothing comes to those who sit back,some other place will step in..Its like a shark feeding frenzy at times with so many things on the same night....We know the scene is gonna get smaller pretty soon,some will carry on and some will go under,thats the way of the world...

Good post..

I think the wording did get to a few people and has made a difference with regards to numbers,some people are easy to piss off..I know Colin and co meant that Rock N roll type stuff only..Its a hard job to set up a new night like this with so much on within 1 hours drive..Like you say its quality djs and music all the way..Colin just mopping up :lol: ,i bet he likes them words..Good luck to you all the promoters in 2006,work hard because nothing comes to those who sit back,some other place will step in..Its like a shark feeding frenzy at times with so many things on the same night....We know the scene is gonna get smaller pretty soon,some will carry on and some will go under,thats the way of the world...

Hi Steve,

Hey if Colin and Shirl can't take constructive criticism then it'll be a sad day for Northern Soul in the Huddersfield / Halifax area. I've never met a couple who promote that are as nice as these two. I'm not just saying that because we are friends but because I wouldn't stand for half the crap they do, which is my downfall I guess. Why the few on the R 'n' B scene take offence at every little thing beats me, the two genre's are almost worlds apart these days from what I've witnessed with my own ears. I personally like all forms of Black music from the 40's to the 80's as my father was a huge Inkspots and Mills Brothers fan and my mom a Platters on I was brought up listening to their records, which is why I love soul music so much (it was the only thing my dad liked about me in my teens).

To everyone I wish you all the most soulful Christmas and a foot stomping new year (and I will get over to Coo Off Steve I promise).

Bluepower-soul

Sanity arrives on the Scene. :lol:

Great post Mark.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Good post..

I think the wording did get to a few people and has made a difference with regards to numbers,some people are easy to piss off..I know Colin and co meant that Rock N roll type stuff only..Its a hard job to set up a new night like this with so much on within 1 hours drive..Like you say its quality djs and music all the way..Colin just mopping up :lol: ,i bet he likes them words..Good luck to you all the promoters in 2006,work hard because nothing comes to those who sit back,some other place will step in..Its like a shark feeding frenzy at times with so many things on the same night....We know the scene is gonna get smaller pretty soon,some will carry on and some will go under,thats the way of the world...

Good post? How the fook do you make that out mate? :lol:

Joe replies to some vacuous remark about "shite R&B", and then "Bluepower", which sounds alarmingly like an advert for washing powder, suggests he get a life and starts telling him it's not affected.... sorry "effected", his venue! :yes:

And if you're reading this Mr Bluepower, this cover-up that the mighty Guy plays... is it one he got from Kym? :yes:

Good post? How the fook do you make that out mate? :lol:

Joe replies to some vacuous remark about "shite R&B", and then "Bluepower", which sounds alarmingly like an advert for washing powder, suggests he get a life and starts telling him it's not affected.... sorry "effected", his venue! :lol:

And if you're reading this Mr Bluepower, this cover-up that the mighty Guy plays... is it one he got from Kym? :yes:

:yes: Well whoever the hell you are Dave, My name is Mark Hanson and if you want to say anymore then please contact me off list so we can discuss this and if need be in person.

Love

The Hitman

Sanity arrives on the Scene. :lol:

Great post Mark.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Thanks Dave I thought it was about time someone tried to stop this confrontation but as always people have to go spout off and upset me (see my reply to Dave). I see he's in Lincolnshire so I can nip round anytime for a cup of tea. :yes:

Merry Christmas to all.

I just find it amazing that a phrase that was only on one flyer and not meant to be directed at anyone in particular can cause so much fuss, then again these are the people that got upset over a public domain image of Sonny Boy Williamson so hey we should expect it I guess. Never did see their alleged copyright when they said they had it!

:lol: Well whoever the hell you are Dave, My name is Mark Hanson and if you want to say anymore then please contact me off list so we can discuss this and if need be in person.

Love

The Hitman

:yes: Well whoever the hell you are you c***, I've sent you a message "off list" as you requested, though I don't know why you want it that way.... but if thats a threat, bring it on :yes: .... though I can't get sufficiently motivated to come to Huddersfield post-1535-1135136874.gif

However, I shall be in Sheffield on the 23rd.... see you there? :yes:

PS. You "nip round for a cup of tea" any time you like. There'll be a warm welcome awaiting :lol:

Edited by Dave

:lol: Well whoever the hell you are you c***, I've sent you a message "off list" as you requested, though I don't know why you want it that way.... but if thats a threat, bring it on :lol: .... though I can't get sufficiently motivated to come to Huddersfield post-1535-1135136874.gif

However, I shall be in Sheffield on the 23rd.... see you there? :yes:

PS. You "nip round for a cup of tea" any time you like. There'll be a warm welcome awaiting :yes:

Sorry Dave you haven't sent me a mail off list at all. As for a threat take it anyway you want (though it wasn't one) because I don't like being called a C*** especially from someone I don't even know and I think it is uncalled for, usually it takes someone at least a hour to realise that. One thing is for sure I have never refused a invitation before in my life hence the nickname, but unfortunately I won't be in Sheffield on the 23rd as I'll be still in London recovering from the 100 club and enjoying myself. As for who I am. I go to most good soul venues like the Wilton or Lifeline, 100 club and Leicester, when my health permits it. I'm usually with my mates like Andy Dyson. I used to co-edit Soul Up North and I've d.j.'d at most of the better allnighters in the 23 years on the scene.

As for this thread it seems that soul source is just like how KTF was and Soul Talk, just people slagging off other people. None of my comments were biased towards Huddersfield as I said that I told Colin straight off that the words shouldn't have been used. In fact I told him there was no need for any music policy to be mentioned

I passed on your best wishes to Guy also.

Mark Hanson

What on earth are all these aggressive posts needed for?

I made the original "vaccuous" comment to my friend Colin. He (and my other friends) know I can't stand R&B and have NEVER gone to a do where this genre of music is advertised on the flyer. Two of my oldest, closest friends Dave (who will be celebrating his 40th there) and Kate love it though.

Those of us with half a brain know what we like, vote with our feet and have no need to threaten people (even jokingly) whose musical taste differs from our own.

Happy Christmas

Kirsty

If nothing else this shows that we all share a passion for the genre of music we prefer.

To be honest I believe the 'No shite R&B' comment on the flyer to be somewhat sarcastic.

Although the intention may have been to highlight no 'Rock'n'Roll' (as we so often hear) will be played but Northern friendly R&B will, the comment can still be misread, so why not remove the comment from the details after the initial backlash from the first flyer ?

All genres of soul played on our scene have good and bad ......if 'No shite Northern' or 'No shite Rare Soul' or 'No shite Modern' was used on a flyer the reaction would be multiplied 10 fold, and you all know it.

Seems odd to me that anyone would want to restrict the appeal of a club to potential attendees by using such remarks....most of the people I know into R&B are also into Rare Soul and attend the likes of Wilton, Lifeline, Steam, 100 Club et al.........perhaps us 'Rock'n'rollers' are just not as blinkered as others.....