Roy Wright - What's The Story?

Just purchased a copy of "Hook Line and Sinker" on Mica for a friend. Looking in the price guide this tune is also on Vick, as is his other recording "you change my whole life around"

So, I would imagine that the Vick recording is the original? So what is the Mica release?

A boot, a reissue?

I have also been informed that the two releases are different takes of "Hook line and sinker"?

Anyone have a sound file of the Vick release? It must be a pretty rare 45?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Social source share

had the vick release in my hand on saturday night, is there interest in this

track at the mo? seen a few wants and a couple for sale lately, whats a realistic price on the mica release

thought about £75?

must admit i really like the jimmy robins take on the flip, sounds really raw!

russ

Social source share

The Vick copy of HLS hasn't been known for more than a few years, haven't heard it so I don't know if it is different to the Mica release, which is what it was originally played from by Guy H.

Any ways both labels were Bob Lee concerns.

Ah, thanks Tony, that explains why nobody seems to know about the Vick release. Even Tim Brown has never had it.

Social source share

The Vick copy of HLS hasn't been known for more than a few years, haven't heard it so I don't know if it is different to the Mica release, which is what it was originally played from by Guy H.

Any ways both labels were Bob Lee concerns.

just spoken to carl fortnum can confirm that the vick release is the same as the mica, very rare on vick, carl as had his copy since the 80s never seen another!!

value of the vick release????? jms says £200, which is based on carls copy which scan also appears on rarest of the rare

interesting stuff

Social source share

Mica copy is an original

so ive been led to believe/ive got one in my playbox

Me too!

Phil, theres a thread in sharp end on the James Robbins here:

Social source share

Phil , if you go to GRUMPY on the 17th May I'll show you the ROY WRIGHT on VICK and I'll bring along TONI ROSS on HARTOWN .

regards pumpkinseed .

Is the sound quality on the Tony Ross very poor Carl, I mean Pumpkin Seed........sorry. :shhh::g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

just spoken to carl fortnum can confirm that the vick release is the same as the mica, very rare on vick, carl as had his copy since the 80s never seen another!!

value of the vick release????? jms says £200, which is based on carls copy which scan also appears on rarest of the rare

interesting stuff

Didn't JM auction one last year?

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Mica was owned and run by Al Benson, who sometimes used Bob Lee as a producer.  Vick was owned by Bob Lee and Ruth Moore.  I believe Vick was regionally distributed along with other Bob Lee labels and Leo Austell's labels, including Renee, Sta-Set, Con-Duc, Mar-Jan, Hawk, Jerhart, and others.  Mica had no connection other than independent producer, Bob Lee, working for both.  Mica was related to Crash, Glow-Star and The Blues, as they were all owned by Benson during 1965-67.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!