Del-Larks

There are records that will empty a dance floor, always have been, ... that is the first one I have heard that would empty the whole venue.

The lass off youtube would struggle to engineer a dance to that one.

Well, we shall see, bearing in mind I put it on a CD for her and her Mum last year. Lev did say she likes the record.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Obscurity + Rarity + Manship = 3k.

Does that make any more that come up for sale anywhere near worth that..??

gone mad is an understatement, look at the price the good del larks went ,then a week later up pops another for sale, reached approx 50% of johns auction,....so why didn't the person who was just pipped for johns copy offer what he bid fir the 2nd copy...

Edited by JIM BARRY
Social source share

gone mad is an understatement, look at the price the good del larks went ,then a week later up pops another for sale, reached approx 50% of johns auction,....so why didn't the person who was just pipped for johns copy offer what he bid fir the 2nd copy...

I don't know, but there are 37 Del Larks on Popsike and only one of them on Jet. Doubtful that it would make that kind of money on Ebay..

Uproar here is that a fair few don't like it and because of the amount it went for, but with a JM auction, what did folk expect?

Social source share

Do you mean the one I sold?  Well the one on Ebay went for about 6.5K, this one went for less than that but the one I had is possibly the best copy ever to go on sale so someone missed out - anyway the 2nd bidder from the first auction did offer what he bid on the other auction, but it wasn't a set sale, it was an auction, and I wanted to do it out in the open so he decided to bid lower and then increase it if anyone outbid him.

Social source share

Do you mean the one I sold?  Well the one on Ebay went for about 6.5K, this one went for less than that but the one I had is possibly the best copy ever to go on sale so someone missed out - anyway the 2nd bidder from the first auction did offer what he bid on the other auction, but it wasn't a set sale, it was an auction, and I wanted to do it out in the open so he decided to bid lower and then increase it if anyone outbid him.

would you have made more getting john to offer it to the 2nd highest bidder for his highest bid and then split the commission?

Social source share

Same group according to the story here https://www.classicurbanharmony.net/Del%20Larks%20Story%20edit.pdf

While the Del

Larks recalled the song, they were not aware it ever

came out. It’s possible the Del Larks’ song, which

they didn’t write, was shopped to Dobie Gray a few

years later and changed into “The In Crowd.”

If that is the true story behind the record at least some good came out of it . :wink: Usually love the Big City Beat Ballads but the vocals on this are shocking in my opinion.

Social source share

it was actually my copy for sale,i sold it to john,so he wasnt auctioning it for someone else! there is no doubt it is very rare,it is the same group as 'job opening' and i would say a hell of a lot rarer than the queen city release,however job opening is 100% northern soul,and in everybodys top 10,'out of the incrowd' is a good tune with great production,but it falls in the bracket of 'neither here nor there'

i sold it cos i was simply bored of it,but i would never have guessed it would achive 3k

it is probably rare because it seems to be a one off label,and i wonder if it was a promo release because the b side has a very odd instrumental,which seems to have no place on any record...very odd!

on a similar topic of whether it justifies the value,i wouldnt have believed the sandy golden would hit 8k,this dellarks 45 is rarer than that,and neither records are spectacular in any way....so WHO KNOWS!

also i thought the lead vocal was the guy who sings ' the grinch'...haha

Edited by dobber
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Same group according to the story here https://www.classicurbanharmony.net/Del%20Larks%20Story%20edit.pdf

One record by the Del Larks is hard to date.

Sometime in the 1960’s the Del Larks came out with a

record called “Out of the In Crowd” on the Jet label.

This time Ray Davis did the lead with Sammy Campbell

doing the bridge and the ending. It’s easy to suspect

that this is an answer to Dobie Gray’s “The In-

Crowd,” except the Dobie Gray record came out in

1965 and Ray Davis left the Del Larks in 1963. In addition

Ron Taylor said he remembered singing the

song and he left the Del Larks in 1961. While the Del

Larks recalled the song, they were not aware it ever

came out. It’s possible the Del Larks’ song, which

they didn’t write, was shopped to Dobie Gray a few

years later and changed into “The In Crowd.”

Seb first posted the link year or two ago.

"In addition Ron Taylor said he remembered singing the song and he left the Del Larks in 1961. While the Del Larks recalled the song, they were not aware it ever came out. It’s possible the Del Larks’ song, which they didn’t write, was shopped to Dobie Gray a few years later and changed into “The In Crowd.”"

..is exactly what also Sammy Campbell said a few years ago in a interview done by I think Blues & Rhythm. Nice little and interesting record for what it is, but 3K ? You gotta be joking...

Social source share

it was actually my copy for sale,i sold it to john,so he wasnt auctioning it for someone else! there is no doubt it is very rare,it is the same group as 'job opening' and i would say a hell of a lot rarer than the queen city release,however job opening is 100% northern soul,and in everybodys top 10,'out of the incrowd' is a good tune with great production,but it falls in the bracket of 'neither here nor there'

i sold it cos i was simply bored of it,but i would never have guessed it would achive 3k

it is probably rare because it seems to be a one off label,and i wonder if it was a promo release because the b side has a very odd instrumental,which seems to have no place on any record...very odd!

on a similar topic of whether it justifies the value,i wouldnt have believed the sandy golden would hit 8k,this dellarks 45 is rarer than that,and neither records are spectacular in any way....so WHO KNOWS!

also i thought the lead vocal was the guy who sings ' the grinch'...haha

And that's exactly why I let my mate have mine..It just aint that good.

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

well someone really liked it no matter what others think about it !!!!... wish I'd had a stab at jim hunt's copy now !!!???( but not as a keeper)

Pretty sure that was the one I had and now sits with me mate, there was no interest in it when on ebay.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

diahoria

got to agree with you, not quite dia, rare or not, payed all that money and i gave mine away a few year ago, alot of rare stuff today is overpriced, not soulful, and the dance floor gets emptyed, i got a copy of damen fox, arch copy, only about 20 copys ive been told, worth about 10K, i wouldnt pay £10 for one. everything has gone out of proportion price wise, cheers billy 

Social source share

If it were earlier it wouldn't have the In Crowd reference or sound just like The In Crowd Joan yes.gif

Rubbish record, wouldn't pay ten quid for it.

o you mean the one I sold?  Well the one on Ebay went for about 6.5K, this one went for less than that but the one I had is possibly the best copy ever to go on sale so someone missed out - anyway the 2nd bidder from the first auction did offer what he bid on the other auction, but it wasn't a set sale, it was an auction, and I wanted to do it out in the open so he decided to bid lower and then increase it if anyone outbid him.

Did you pay a Tenner in the end?

How things Change Eh Pete

Kirsty

Social source share

Posted this in 2010

sammy campbell was born may 6, 1941 in plainfield, nj. the seventh of ten children. the del-larks were formed by sammy campbells brother david in the 1950's while they were in high school. their first records were doo-wop songs released on george eastman's ea-jay label. they then put out a record on atlantic-distributed east west remember the night. in 1961 the del larks released this record called…"out of the in crowd"š on the jet label the same year that ron taylor left the group. in the early 60's sammy was writing his own songs and was hired by george blackwell to write for his smoke records outfit it newark. this time ray davis did the lead with sammy campbell doing the bridge and the ending. blackwell kept him on staff for a year, but never released any of his material and never paid him. sammy made money promoting local concerts and performing with the del-larks.

sammy promoted a concert at the cotton club, with both the del-larks and the parliaments performing, he borrowed $350 from george blackwell for promotion & hire of the club. sammy gave george the better part of a year with his writing efforts for smoke to no avail. he had even presented george with two finished masters to release, but george has steadfastly refused to do anything with them.

frustrated by his business relationship with george blackwell and unaware that blackwell had secretly release two of campbell tracks (sos for love/ listen to my radio) on a label called vision, sammy terminated his association with smoke and started putting out his own records. he released sos on queen city records, his own label. still performing with the del-larks, he wrote a song for his group that he felt confident would finally launch him to greater levels of success. the group recorded his new song, job opening, at tony camillo's studio in greenwich village and proceeded to look for a label to release it. the savoy label expressed interest and at least one member of the group believed they should let savoy release it, but sammy didn't think the deal was a good one for himself or the group and he decided to release it on queen city, so confident was he that the record would be a hit. job opening had it all, good production, uptempo, danceable beat, a topical title and phenomenal lyrics, with a great poetical twist to them.

sammy trades lead vocals back and forth with ronnie taylor, and the rest of the group, in classic call and response manner on the track. sammy spent the last money he had to press 500 copies of this legendary record. it began to get some local airplay initially & everyone who heard it thought it was great. enter george blackwell again. when blackwell found out that dj's were spinning sammy's disc, he used his influence and his wife's formidable power to prevent the dj's from pushing it any further. out of money, he disbanded the del-larks and concentrated on writing and performing solo. sammy believes that if george had been smart, he would have let the record go as far as it was destined to and then sue sammy. but george was not after the money, he only wanted revenge.

after this, sammy moved out to california for a brief period and did some writing for galaxy records. galaxy thought sammy would be another little johnny taylor and recorded him on a bluesy track he'd written. sammy's next track was refused by the label since it wasn't in the same vein, it went to chess/checker/cadet and phil-la of soul. it was released on phil-la of soul. this time, under a pseudonym tyrone ashley a name that sammy had thought up with his girlfriend. the a-side,…"let me be your man"š was written by sammy when he was living one floor directly above a cute girl he had a crush on.…"please let me be your man"š. this was to be sammy's most successful release, reaching 20 on the r&b charts in 1966. in the early 70's sammy continued to tour based on his hit record, but he didn't release anything else for himself

Kirsty

Social source share

That's great info re Tyrone Ashley aka SC. I really like his I Want My Baby Back flip of PLMBYM. Came across it recently and thought I recognised the voice!

Is this the same guy who cut Ian Levine's Looks Like Love Is Here To Stay? If so what's it like?

Edit just found it on You Tube! - not to my taste.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

o you mean the one I sold?  Well the one on Ebay went for about 6.5K, this one went for less than that but the one I had is possibly the best copy ever to go on sale so someone missed out - anyway the 2nd bidder from the first auction did offer what he bid on the other auction, but it wasn't a set sale, it was an auction, and I wanted to do it out in the open so he decided to bid lower and then increase it if anyone outbid him.

Did you pay a Tenner in the end?

How things Change Eh Pete

Kirsty

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You do know I'm talking about a different Del Larks record, right?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I doubt whoever bought The Del-Larks cares one iota what some think of the record, we all like records that many others think are sh*t.  Some of those passing comment aren't exactly the purveyors of good taste.

Who is to say what it is worth it is a rare record, has rarely come up for sale and I've seen more copies of the other Del-Larks. It is far harder to value than something like say Velvet Hammer which is up for sale on a regular basis and has sold at a certain price or thereabouts for a long time.

We all have different taste and long may the case be, be boring otherwise.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 21/03/2014 at 05:09, Chalky said:

I doubt whoever bought The Del-Larks cares one iota what some think of the record, we all like records that many others think are sh*t.  Some of those passing comment aren't exactly the purveyors of good taste.

Who is to say what it is worth it is a rare record, has rarely come up for sale and I've seen more copies of the other Del-Larks. It is far harder to value than something like say Velvet Hammer which is up for sale on a regular basis and has sold at a certain price or thereabouts for a long time.

We all have different taste and long may the case be, be boring otherwise.

Was me chalky off Pete and yes your right , it was a long time coming and worth every penny sadly gone now with others, sorry for bringing this up after all this time , I hadn’t seen these posts till now

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Paul Shirley said:

Was me chalky off Pete and yes your right , it was a long time coming and worth every penny sadly gone now with others, sorry for bringing this up after all this time , I hadn’t seen these posts till now

Yeah I started this post in 2012,I had heard the record a couple of times off a tape I think,I was hell bent on getting the 45,to which I did,in fact I’ve had it twice in the last 8 years! But I’m afraid it really does bore you to death after playing it a few times,and I imagine if you pulled this out on a deck you would probably empty the place (apart from a couple of chin scratchers!) but rare doesn’t mean VALUE! I would still think this record is 300 quid tops (certainly never 3k) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 29/12/2020 at 17:33, Dobber said:

Yeah I started this post in 2012,I had heard the record a couple of times off a tape I think,I was hell bent on getting the 45,to which I did,in fact I’ve had it twice in the last 8 years! But I’m afraid it really does bore you to death after playing it a few times,and I imagine if you pulled this out on a deck you would probably empty the place (apart from a couple of chin scratchers!) but rare doesn’t mean VALUE! I would still think this record is 300 quid tops (certainly never 3k) 

I was talking about job opening 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!