Del-Larks

I understood that there are very few copies of this knocking around at all. I used to nag Dave Flynn to play this at the Dome. I think Ady Croasdell had one too at one time?

I love it.

Still resides at Flynn Towers, Mark :thumbsup:

Must admit, even though the website piece about the group notes this as being from 1961...i don't believe it is...more like 1964 or 65 imo. :g:

post-9555-0-80612400-1336024818_thumb.jp

Social source share

Been on my "wants" list for ages. I think the last time I saw one up for sale was on Lou Stanley's auction a couple of years ago ? Mr Nige Brown played it at York Waterfront New Years Day, unfortunately I wasn't there to hear it :(

Don

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If it were earlier it wouldn't have the In Crowd reference or sound just like The In Crowd Joan :yes:

Rubbish record, wouldn't pay ten quid for it.

I don't know about that kind of thing I just meant it sounds earlier than 1965.

I did say something similar Pete but edited :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it were earlier it wouldn't have the In Crowd reference or sound just like The In Crowd Joan :yes:

Rubbish record, wouldn't pay ten quid for it.

Each to there own. Would be a bad thing if we all liked the same stuff,

Edited by donkit
Social source share

Been on my "wants" list for ages. I think the last time I saw one up for sale was on Lou Stanley's auction a couple of years ago ? Mr Nige Brown played it at York Waterfront New Years Day, unfortunately I wasn't there to hear it :(

Don

Sure did Don,,, Its a Marmite recod i guess ,,, I love it ,,,Carms hates it,,, but thats what its all about!

Always creates debate when i get to play it,,,, remember Andy Bellwood telling me he couldnt get the riff out of this head for days :lol:

You dont see it forsale in sales boxes for sure!!

N x

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sure did Don,,, Its a Marmite recod i guess ,,, I love it ,,,Carms hates it,,, but thats what its all about!

Always creates debate when i get to play it,,,, remember Andy Bellwood telling me he couldnt get the riff out of this head for days :lol:

N x

I love it Nige. Forgot you'd got one not too long ago. Fantastic Big City sound to my ears. Pete Smith is strange, but then we all knew that anyway!

Social source share

I love it Nige. Forgot you'd got one not too long ago. Fantastic Big City sound to my ears. Pete Smith is strange, but then we all knew that anyway!

Come off it Mark, it has to be some kind of joke record doesn't it? Nobody sings like that on purpose!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a masterpiece of mid-60s big production Pop/Soul...it's epic even, and deserves a video like something out of West Side Story...well that's how I magine it anyway :D

That said, I appreciate it's not everyones cup of tea...did sound good down the hallowed stairs of the 100 Club, mind, as did the majority of big production numbers that Mr.C once championed many moons ago.

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Come off it Mark, it has to be some kind of joke record doesn't it? Nobody sings like that on purpose!

Must admit to been a bit in the middle with this one,certainly wouldn't be paying big bucks for it as it's just OK to me.

Pete's comment is priceless :D :D :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

would have gone down well at stafford.....bit over the top for me ...but love the parts when the "little anthony" voice come in !....jim hunt had one on ebay a few years ago that only had one bidder for around $300 i think....thought about bidding on it then played it to a friend from work and we both had a good laugh about it...but still find myself liking it in parts !!!!

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I've always quite liked it, but I dohave strange taste :-)

Missed the one on eBay a while ago :-(

Well Phil I would say you have GOOD taste....but not this one for me? Sounds like the muppet show theme to me.......LOL Glad you missed the ebay copy, won't have to hear it at the great Rugby Niter.......

See you over here soon Phil for a few unusual plays.... from the both of us...

Mark T

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always creates debate when i get to play it,,,, remember Andy Bellwood telling me he couldnt get the riff out of this head for days laugh.png

N x

remember all too well and congratulating an inspired play then a conversation about 'name that tune'-Reeves and Mortimer 'Shooting Stars' which had you in stitches.... Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

ooh!.....that is a bad bad tune.......why would anyone ask for this at a dance venue   yuk!!........still if thats sammy cambell singing.........he managed to pull it back on his next effort :D  :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Soul Is A Broad Church And What Is Brill For One Isnt Always Great For Another - BUT We Love The Music So Thats What Counts - KTF

l should think ole Sammy c sort refuge in a monastry after hearing that on the local radio :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

As fine an example of the Big City sixties soul sound and male group vocal as you will ever hear.

A superb record - it is indeed deeply unfashionable, but a superb record nonetheless; musically sophisticated, beautifully produced, orchestrated and performed. Probably why it divides opinion - too sophisticated for the on-the-fours Northern brigade; too sixties and Big City for the crossover mob and no wah-wah guitar for the funky crowd. Some folk may not like it, but it is most definitely not "a rubbish record" or "a shit record", nor is it "a bad tune".

I now await the tsunami of counter opinion to crash over me. :(

By the way, it is not Sammy Campbell on lead.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Same group according to the story here https://www.classicurbanharmony.net/Del%20Larks%20Story%20edit.pdf

One record by the Del Larks is hard to date.

Sometime in the 1960’s the Del Larks came out with a

record called “Out of the In Crowd” on the Jet label.

This time Ray Davis did the lead with Sammy Campbell

doing the bridge and the ending. It’s easy to suspect

that this is an answer to Dobie Gray’s “The In-

Crowd,” except the Dobie Gray record came out in

1965 and Ray Davis left the Del Larks in 1963. In addition

Ron Taylor said he remembered singing the

song and he left the Del Larks in 1961. While the Del

Larks recalled the song, they were not aware it ever

came out. It’s possible the Del Larks’ song, which

they didn’t write, was shopped to Dobie Gray a few

years later and changed into “The In Crowd.”

Seb first posted the link year or two ago.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

it,s absolutely  BAD...........perhaps the conversation after they'd listened to it in a cafe (the del larks) was.....sammy c says to ray d....."now look ray"...."THAT WAS SHIT!!"......"i,ll sing lead vocals on the next tune that we do for that  queen city bunch"...."you jive turkey"

Social source share

Same group according to the story here https://www.classicurbanharmony.net/Del%20Larks%20Story%20edit.pdf

One record by the Del Larks is hard to date.

Sometime in the 1960’s the Del Larks came out with a

record called “Out of the In Crowd” on the Jet label.

This time Ray Davis did the lead with Sammy Campbell

doing the bridge and the ending. It’s easy to suspect

that this is an answer to Dobie Gray’s “The In-

Crowd,” except the Dobie Gray record came out in

1965 and Ray Davis left the Del Larks in 1963. In addition

Ron Taylor said he remembered singing the

song and he left the Del Larks in 1961. While the Del

Larks recalled the song, they were not aware it ever

came out. It’s possible the Del Larks’ song, which

they didn’t write, was shopped to Dobie Gray a few

years later and changed into “The In Crowd.”

Seb first posted the link year or two ago.

Thanks for that I never really paid much attention to it and had assumed as west coast a different group....always nice to know. Did they do this one when they were at Prestatyn then? (no need to answer)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No it isn't.

O.K.........you,ve got bad taste :D ........l wouldn,t wanna hear this at a wake.........let alone out.......and played at home it would probably devalue my house considerably.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Did they do this one when they were at Prestatyn then? (no need to answer)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: .........thought better of it, I,d wager lol   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A 100 club and Capitol classic. Brilliant brilliant tune. I wish i'd presuaded Dave to part with it for 600 quid last year tho :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!