Soul Source Record Club Record Of The Day 2012 (Summer)

• Replies 611
  • Views 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There were some great tracks put out on Tangerine (TRC), the above one included.

Some were produced in-house by Ray himself, whilst others were done by friends of his in the music biz.

This one from early 68 had input from the likes of Wally Rocker & (Big) Dee Irwin who would go on to run the Canyon label not long after.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Instrumental time from me today...............

E.Rodney Jones & Larry & The Hippies Band - Football Westbound

It was C/U as the Chicago All-stars at one time(might have been Detroit All-stars??) & is the backing track to

The Bronzettes-Beggin Baby Don't Leave Me Double Soul.

Now I've started I might as well post them both?

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Staying with the funkier side... groovy baby. Nice!

Nina Tempo & 5th Ave Sax - Sister James A&M Records...... Bloody love it!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Doris Willingham - You Can't Do That Jay Boy

Proper girlie dancer from me today.Old Mecca tune I think it was?You hear it now & then & it still surprises me how many people don't know it.Voice,production etc. about this is just about perfect imo.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Doris Willingham (aka Doris Duke) Jay Boy 45 was played in UK soul clubs from the day it was released here (which my shot memory tells me was mid to late 68, but I could be months out) ... even with the 'slow down' during the instrumental opening to the track.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers Andy,

It's the flip to Mickey's Monkey on Tamla (54083) from '63 would you believe! Won't break the bank either

Dave

Well what a bloody Fantastic Tune that is just when ya think ya know loads of tunes one smacks ya right in the chops all credit Dave Very very nice post. N new to me.

Social source share

Today, I'll be mostly listening to.......

Chicago All Stars - Nowhere to Run

Paul

What a tune!!!New to me an another addition to the ever growing wants list............this bloody thread is

costing me a fortune :D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Paul

What a tune!!!New to me an another addition to the ever growing wants list............this bloody thread is

costing me a fortune :D

Cheers

Martyn

Only a cheapie really too, got mine off Dave Rimmer for £10 :thumbup:

Social source share

I'll let you choose which is the best version of this as I love them both........bought Joe Murphy first but liked Little Milton so much bought that too.

Joe Murphy-So Blue(Without You) Vivid

Little Milton-So Blue(Without You) Checker

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

"So Blue" had strong 'Dells' connections (2 of the writers were members of the group and Wade Flemons + Barrett Strong wrote songs for the Dells) & the group provided backing vocals on Joe's version. Wonder if the Dells ever cut a version of the song with an actual group member on lead vocals. If they did it would have been back in their 1964 / 65 Vee-Jay period when the company was slipping into financial problems & bankruptcy. So I guess it would have stayed in the tape vaults.

• Helpful 1
Social source share