Poets Wrapped Around Your Finger - J2

Was recently talking at length with Val Shively when this 45 came up. I can't remember why but I always presumed this was a Philly group and not the same group as on Symbol ("She Blew A Good Thing"). I don't know why I presumed that but something in the back of my mind must have triggered it.

The J-2 45 was produced by Juggy Jones (J-2?), so it all ties in with The Poets on Symbol (owned by Sue), but I was wondering if anyone had any definitive info?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

drove from manchester to carlisle to pick up a copy of poets, as well as herman lewiss.....happy days

Social source share

Symbol was 1961 and could be before that back into the 50th Boba.

I don't understand, or maybe my question wasn't clear (sorry). The poets on symbol all came out in 1966. I think the J2 record is after the symbol records. Also, it fills in the two year gap between their symbol and veep records.

Social source share

They were the same group. They were signed to Juggy Murray's Symbol Records. When Sue re-organised (1968-69, J-2 was formed). The Poets cut must be from 1968. It IS later than their Symbol releases.

"Juggy" Jones -AKA "Jughead Jones" -was Archie's pal, Jughead, from the Archie Series comic books. He was also Donald Duck's neighbour in Walt Disney's Donald Duck comic books.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

first time i heard it was bradford nighter 1991 carl fortnum spun it

Have you got a book on this kind of info Trev ....always on point with info like this mate :thumbsup:

I cant even remember 1991 ,let alone when someone first played a bloody record :D

P.s Get a move on Joan ...will see you at Kev J's for the footy :yes:

Edited by NEV
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Have you got a book on this kind of info Trev ....always on point with info like this mate :thumbsup:

I cant even remember 1991 ,let alone when someone first played a bloody record :D

P.s Get a move on Joan ...will see you at Kev J's for the footy :yes:

Yep, great info! I love hearing when people first heard records, all part of it for me.

I'm on it Nev, see you in a bit :thumbsup:

Social source share

one question -- is the J2 record before or after the symbol records? It sounds more sophisticated and later to me. It also would help explain the smaller run as the label was winding down.

I've read on all music that it was the Poets first release and it preceded the symbol release but like you it sounds later to me.

Social source share

John Anderson had the first copies and sold them at 200 each not sure how many 6 at most, i first ahd it on a tape of Mick smith possible 1990 his wasnt from John.

John's came from VS. It's part of an extensive interview I conducted with him last week. Some great stories from Val's escapades over the years. He was telling me that they used to put one 'good' 45 at the end of each pile and box em up with 100 shyte 45s between the two ends. Took him a while to work out that most UK collectors were after the shyte. He He! Another one that John proffed from Val was Damon Fox. It'll all be in the new book in September hopefully.

Best,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1967 sounds right. Why would anyone doubt that These Poets are the same as the Symbol group? Ronnie Lewis was their writer on both labels, AND both labels belonged to Juggy Murray.

Because Robb, not everyone is born with 'the knowledge'. It takes some of us a while to catch up. :D :D :D

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

1967 sounds right. Why would anyone doubt that These Poets are the same as the Symbol group? Ronnie Lewis was their writer on both labels, AND both labels belonged to Juggy Murray.

I read Juggy sold his masters/rights to Sue to UA in 1968. Would Symbol, J-2 be part of the deal?

Social source share

John Anderson had the first copies and sold them at 200 each not sure how many 6 at most, i first ahd it on a tape of Mick smith possible 1990 his wasnt from John.

yes, ted, john anderson had 5 copies. They came via val shively after he bought out a local record shop (butterball, the philly dj and record store owner) I got the first copy for £200 and the other 4 copies went to john's other favoured collectors. I went over to Butterball's record store a year later and checked out the basement where the J2s had been stored. Either Val didn't take everything or more stock had been put down there, but alas there were no more poets.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

yes, ted, john anderson had 5 copies. They came via val shively after he bought out a local record shop (butterball, the philly dj and record store owner) I got the first copy for £200 and the other 4 copies went to john's other favoured collectors. I went over to Butterball's record store a year later and checked out the basement where the J2s had been stored. Either Val didn't take everything or more stock had been put down there, but alas there were no more poets.

Hi Mark thanks for the confirmation memory hasnt gone yet lol. Mick smith got one directly of Val later on

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Was recently talking at length with Val Shively when this 45 came up. I can't remember why but I always presumed this was a Philly group and not the same group as on Symbol ("She Blew A Good Thing"). I don't know why I presumed that but something in the back of my mind must have triggered it.

The J-2 45 was produced by Juggy Jones (J-2?), so it all ties in with The Poets on Symbol (owned by Sue), but I was wondering if anyone had any definitive info?

Regards,

Dave

hi dave, from info in my little black book, it had the j-2 listed in a discography as below, from soul harmony, but no date was given for this release. this is what i have written down

ronnie lewis,paul fulton, mel bradford and johnny james

j-2 1302 wrapped around your finger

symbol 214 she blew a good thing 1966

216 so young and so innocent 1966

219 i`m particular 1966

veep 1286 the hustler 1968 (i had this noted as being the next number up from little anthony and IMPS "yesterday has gone"

the other "poets" became the Main Ingredient, but had one on Red bird,

from soul harmony tom klien

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i first SAW was in carlisle, prob the one the above bought. and was offered this at a scarboro alnighter in 2000, sadly 1700 quid was out of range so i settled for a mint holly st james for 100 quid

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

hi dave, from info in my little black book, it had the j-2 listed in a discography as below, from soul harmony, but no date was given for this release. this is what i have written down

219 i`m particular 1966

veep 1286 the hustler 1968 (i had this noted as being the next number up from little anthony and IMPS "yesterday has gone"

the new volume will have the J2 record after the symbol records

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

219 i`m particular 1966

To be precise, the Poets (later to become the Main Ingredient) was released twice on Red Bird.

Social source share

To be precise, the Poets (later to become the Main Ingredient) was released twice on Red Bird.

To be precise, there is only one record on Red Bird credited as the Poets. The same group had a second Red Bird 45 as the Insiders and went on to have two 45s on RCA as the Insiders before becoming the main ingredient.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I read Juggy sold his masters/rights to Sue to UA in 1968. Would Symbol, J-2 be part of the deal?

I've always thought J-2 was a post Sue / Symbol project kind of code for "Juggy's second attempt".....but that's just me speculating....

Social source share

I've always thought J-2 was a post Sue / Symbol project kind of code for "Juggy's second attempt".....but that's just me speculating....

You are probably right Steve, Just speculation on my part also going on the dates mentioned and when he sold his interests in Sue/Symbol?

Social source share

J-2 was a short-lived successor of Sue. There is an extremely rare Baby Washington 45 on the label, a version of Bob Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone.

post-1080-0-52264500-1336136021_thumb.jp

And the b-side, entitled "The New Yorker", is the instrumental to "Leave Me Alone" under a different title.

Social source share

Yes, I always thought this, as well. J-2 and the new black-labled Sue (#1-12) came out after the old, orange Sue/Symbol/Broadway/Juggy/Crackerjack/A.F.O(Sue Dist. version) were ended. It stands to reason that it was a new (re-organised) company, just as what happened with us at Airwave records (morphing into Airwave International after Airwave went bust).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was also thinking Yarmouth weekender couldnt remember the year but 91 sounds right- I have it taped from the radio show somewhere think it was clarkie dj'ing

Carl must of also been one of the first to play it

I can remember Carl, Clarkie and Butch all having this at Yarmouth 91! Sam later on that year.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!