'local' Events - Too Much Goin On ?

ive just had a browse of tonights events in the Sth Yorks/Notts area. to choose from there are:

• Trades club , Barnsley
  • Steel Wheel , Sheffield
  • Davy's , Sheffield
  • Attercliffe , Sheffield
  • 3 horseshoes , Rotherham
  • Sth kirby miners welfare , Rotherham
  • Bentinck , Kirby in ashfield
  • Polish club, Nottingham

maybe more? im not sure.

can the area accommodate this many venues on the same night? i know some are oldies, some are ATB, but it seems a lot to me

whats the general consensus?

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Agree 100% and add The Red Bar over 2 nights plus the final sunday all day event in Wakefield.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

in spite of all these nights the chocie of music on offer is very limited and mostly very obvious stuff..............

well folk must like it or they wouldnt go
Social source share

Ludicrous. Even in the 70's when the scene was at it's most populous there still wasn't enough people to risk clashing local nights.

Ian D :D

There were a lot more mid-week events though Ian, Loved the Peel in leeds on Monday night.

Blake

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

so are all these venues very busy then ?

or just a few at each ?

dont know how busy they are, i suppose the best way to gauge that would be to see how long the venues have been going= you cannot keep going for long with few or no punters
Social source share

There were a lot more mid-week events though Ian, Loved the Peel in leeds on Monday night.

Blake

Yep. There'd generally be something going on somewhere most nights of the week in the 70's whereas most events these days have to target weekends because of the age and responsibilities of the attendees. Which means everyone wants a Friday and Saturday. Covenience of location is another factor with many people not wanting to travel far. It'll probably get WORSE LOL.....

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

End result ..too many mediocre events playing mediocre sets ..but pulling punters away from good events playing top sets :yes:

yes but who is to say what is mediocre and what is not = thats just a personal opinion and we should not call people for what they like, if we all liked the same where would we be then?= we would have nothing to bitch about
Social source share

We all used to be dancers........now we are too old and knackered.............so now we are all Dj's.............but we can't get a spot anywhere.............so we start our own night................why is it not packed?..............Too many Chiefs...........not enough Indians.

The End.

No probs. I'm developing the next generation of internet conferencing which will hook up a national UK all-nighter every Saturday with each remote attendee allowed to select a record from the comfort of their armchair in their own living rooms.

Result: Everyone's a DJ, no one has to travel and you can get pissed at home and be amazed at your own brilliance live on t'internet! :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

End result ..too many mediocre events playing mediocre sets ..but pulling punters away from good events playing top sets :yes:

what i am trying to say is not everyone must think that they are good events or why would anyone not go to a good event but rather go to a mediocre one has you call it. its called freedom of choice and we should never try and make people think we are right and they are wrong :
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Ok then ..back to the drawing board ...

too many people starting up events so thay can dj every month ...and booking dj's who are fellow promotors ..so they can inturn get invited to dj at his /her club by way of return thanks.

Not offering anything different from the venue thats a mile down the road ,thats been going for longer and is on the same night !

i agree with you on that and hopefully the true and established venues will survive and go from strength to strength
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

ive just had a browse of tonights events in the Sth Yorks/Notts area. to choose from there are:

• Trades club , Barnsley
  • Davy's , Sheffield

maybe more? im not sure.

can the area accommodate this many venues on the same night? i know some are oldies, some are ATB, but it seems a lot to me

they are all oldies just under different guises

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ok then ..back to the drawing board ...

too many people starting up events so thay can dj every month ...and booking dj's who are fellow promotors ..so they can inturn get invited to dj at his /her club by way of return thanks.

Not offering anything different from the venue thats a mile down the road ,thats been going for longer and is on the same night !

and to add that that Nev they also invite fellow promoters to dj so they dont clash with them ....

Social source share

I once counted just over 30 venues within an hour of me (East & South Yorkshire, North Notts area) in one weekend, Friday and Saturday nights. It is a crazy crazy situations and it is IMO doing more than anything to kill the scene. How do some of these venues keep going because some are nearer empty than full and sure;y can't be making money or at least covering costs.

Spot on. I am putting an event on tomorrow night for charity, I put it on SS 6 months ago so it would not clash with anyone else's, but thats not stopped others putting theirs on, mine is a 1 off so I'm not complaining but this clearly is a problem.
Social source share

Spot on. I am putting an event on tomorrow night for charity, I put it on SS 6 months ago so it would not clash with anyone else's, but thats not stopped others putting theirs on, mine is a 1 off so I'm not complaining but this clearly is a problem.

yes but tomorrow night is a bank holiday sunday.

although you advertised 6 moths ago you can realy expect other people not to pick this night ?

Social source share

The crux of the matter is................they are all played out oldies to some people................it depends what era you were out and about the first time around.............then, when you were born again,..............then, where you have been going since being reborn...............one persons up front newie, is another persons played out oldie.............you can never win............I personally find that the people who were on the scene in the 80's, simply know everything [well almost everything] and are impossible to impress. :yes::wicked::D

with the vast wealth of amazing music to choose from it should be possible to go out each weekend and hear interesting and refreshing sets.

sadly thats not quite the case.

Social source share

The crux of the matter is................they are all played out oldies to some people................it depends what era you were out and about the first time around.............then, when you were born again,..............then, where you have been going since being reborn...............one persons up front newie, is another persons played out oldie.............you can never win............I personally find that the people who were on the scene in the 80's, simply know everything [well almost everything] and are impossible to impress. :yes::wicked::D

That real-live bat was the most impressivest thing I've ever seen at any venue anytime, anywhere Phil. :hatsoff2:

I know of promoters who strive and pull out most of the stops but that was in a completely different league and a masterstroke mate. I didn't care what bloody records I heard after that :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

C'mon time for another ovo debate :thumbsup: If everyone would play ovo then you have less events but the ones which survive the cull whether they are oldies only or upfront or accross the board or whatever .... gonna be fantastic and exciting to attend with more punters & better venues (due to numbers through the door) and hopefully better sound systems as well !!! :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Trades club , Barnsley
  • Davy's , Sheffield

maybe more? im not sure.

No, the areas can't continually accommodate this amount of nights in the same area, and most of them will probably be short lived affairs, but as has already been said, they'll take punters away from the better nights, and ultimately all suffer.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

they know nothing

Social source share

I can't agree with that, unless of course you are talking about all eras and genres, i.e. 60's, 70's, 80's & northern, r&b, modern etc. trouble is, most of us don't enjoy all the genres, so wouldn't support a venue playing it all.

Then there's the fact that most people who want to DJ are on a limited budget, so basically you are asking people to travel all over the country, to pay to go into a building and listen to very poor quality and and in more cases than not, their very bad taste, all played on very poor quality, and badly set up equipment.

At the end of the day, most events on this scene are "very" amateurish. The promoters will think nothing of paying a small fortune on a 45, yet are quite prepared to play it on any old rubbish.

To me if you are expecting people to travel a long way, pay to get in and come on a regular basis, you must make sure they have a good time. 1. The venue must be suitable. Right size, good location, plenty of parking. 2. The sound system must be spot on. 3. You should only employ Dj's who you would travel to hear yourself [not just your mates, or the guy that says all his friends will come if you give him a spot]. And if people ask you for a spot, and you don't rate them. FFS say no.....and if you see that one of your Dj's empty the dance floor for more than a couple of records, go and give him a rocket.

All this back slapping and nobody dares to call a spade a spade, is what makes for a stale scene.

Spot on phil,lots of events just thrown together crap venues crap equipment.Most dont even have the djs money before they open the doors,talk about wing and a prayer.

Social source share

We all used to be dancers........now we are too old and knackered.............so now we are all Dj's.............but we can't get a spot anywhere.............so we start our own night................why is it not packed?..............Too many Chiefs...........not enough Indians.

The End.

yes..in a nutshell...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

you need some of these promoters to come on here and tell us all why?.........my thought most of em don,t want to go to others events,but want everyone to attend theirs....which are mostly socials for meeting and chatting.....last thing on the agenda is the music....(that might as well be background musac)...example one south coast fella travels nowhere to hear music,but hey up to a club he would,nt bother with at all ...in string-a-beads to dj........wrong wrong wrong.......it,ll never end sadly

Social source share

yes same round here (north west Lancs) a few so called promoters putting on as many events as they can every wkend on Fri,Sat Sunday.We started a Sunday event over two yrs ago now because the Venue had a licence that meant everybody had to be out by 11.00.PM.

Now look at the calender you cant move for Sunday events,lots of them "free" the D.j.s dont get paid (just the promoter),

these people are only interested in the money (you know who you are )!!!not in the Music.

Far to many inferior events full of newcomers and Handbaggers. I better stop now.????

Edited by campagnolo 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

yes same round here (north west Lancs) a few so called promoters putting on as many events as they can every wkend on Fri,Sat Sunday.We started a Sunday event over two yrs ago now because the Venue had a licence that meant everybody had to be out by 11.00.PM.

Now look at the callander you cant move for Sunday events,lots of them "free" the D.j.s dont get paid (just the promoter),

these people are only interested in the money (you know who you are )!!!not in the Music.

Far to many inferior events full of newcomers and Handbaggers. I better stop now.????

i know what you are saying and i partly agree, but what is wrong with newcomers? was you never a newcomer?if people show an interest in our music and they are genuine then surely we should embrace them just like we were EMBRACED when we were NEWCOMERS
Social source share

i know what you are saying and i partly agree, but what is wrong with newcomers? was you never a newcomer?if people show an interest in our music and they are genuine then surely we should embrace them just like we were EMBRACED when we were NEWCOMERS

I dont think the problem is newcomers,thats a good thing everyone should want more people to embrace the scene.The problem is some are just putting on events with no thought to other exsisting events in the local area,and that are frankly not very good

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That real-live bat was the most impressivest thing I've ever seen at any venue anytime, anywhere Phil. :hatsoff2:

I know of promoters who strive and pull out most of the stops but that was in a completely different league and a masterstroke mate. I didn't care what bloody records I heard after that :lol:

Apologies Phil, I missed that post as I was on my soap box...... :lol: But yes I agree the bats were a master stroke, and indeed went on to give the venue it's name. However, I did notice some other promoters were trying to steal the name for their own venues, and without realising the time and trouble that I had taken to arrange a coven of bats to perform to rare soul music, at my given signal.

The cheek of it...........some people really............. :lol::rofl:

Social source share

Guest giant

The End.

agree your 100% right ' well said

Social source share

most of local do's play crap records boots and reissues nothing even half decent 'clueless crowd have no knowledge about rare soul and the dj's are same as the the crowd .

Edited by jeri
Social source share

I can't agree with that, unless of course you are talking about all eras and genres, i.e. 60's, 70's, 80's & northern, r&b, modern etc. trouble is, most of us don't enjoy all the genres, so wouldn't support a venue playing it all.

Then there's the fact that most people who want to DJ are on a limited budget, so basically you are asking people to travel all over the country, to pay to go into a building and listen to very poor quality and and in more cases than not, their very bad taste, all played on very poor quality, and badly set up equipment.

At the end of the day, most events on this scene are "very" amateurish. The promoters will think nothing of paying a small fortune on a 45, yet are quite prepared to play it on any old rubbish.

To me if you are expecting people to travel a long way, pay to get in and come on a regular basis, you must make sure they have a good time. 1. The venue must be suitable. Right size, good location, plenty of parking. 2. The sound system must be spot on. 3. You should only employ Dj's who you would travel to hear yourself [not just your mates, or the guy that says all his friends will come if you give him a spot]. And if people ask you for a spot, and you don't rate them. FFS say no.....and if you see that one of your Dj's empty the dance floor for more than a couple of records, go and give him a rocket.

All this back slapping and nobody dares to call a spade a spade, is what makes for a stale scene.

i'm not entirely sure how this addresses the point I made ? most fo what you say agrees with the point I made just goes on to explain it a bit. And across the board doesn't work I never said it did. but you could pick modern one weekend, R&B the next if you wanted to.

one thign I would disagree on is that I think a very good set could be done by a DJ on a budget. Why does a limited budget restrict good taste ?

Social source share

I can't believe how badly you have misunderstood what I said.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

who knows nothing and how do you come to that conclusion?

it,s the folk from the 60's and 70's that have all the knowledge stored up.......the 80's all we got was stafford and we're still living with the consequences lol :D :D

Social source share