'local' Events - Too Much Goin On ?

I've heard some great sets done on a budget and I'd sooner hear sets like this, put together with some though and imagination rather than a set of trophy records in a hot box.

exactly my point.

oh and thanks for the DVD :thumbsup: enjoyed watching that with a bottle of wine on friday.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Apologies then Dylan, I thought you were condoning the playing of an across the board music policy but obviously I was wrong. Sorry about that. :thumbsup:

I think we agree on a lot of things.

I am probably more of a soul fan than a northern fan in the grand scheme of things but do love good northern and having a dance to it.

Social source share

most of local do's play crap records boots and reissues nothing even half decent 'clueless crowd have no knowledge about rare soul and the dj's are same as the the crowd .

I know a Northern Soul promoter/DJ who likes to be called Bell End. When I asked how he came upon such a colourful handle (as I believe the trendy people call it), he replied, as though it was obvious, that his real name wasn't familiar to people as he had never really been on the Northern scene.

He must have realised that I was struggling to make the connection, because he spelled it out to me as though I was a child. He almost did a diagram: "My name's , you see, are derived from the fact that I want to be a big noise on the Northern Soul scene, I want to be a big name promoter/DJ so I want a name that rings and makes a big noise so I decided on Bell . Because I only have Boots and Re-issues I want to be DJing at the end of the night when I know no one will care because they're all too pissed.

And so that's why they call me Bell End, because I is a bit of a gangsta..."

Edited by dekka
Social source share

I know a Northern Soul promoter/DJ who likes to be called Bell End. When I asked how he came upon such a colourful handle (as I believe the trendy people call it), he replied, as though it was obvious, that his real name wasn't familiar to people as he had never really been on the Northern scene.

He must have realised that I was struggling to make the connection, because he spelled it out to me as though I was a child. He almost did a diagram: "My name's , you see, are derived from the fact that I want to be a big noise on the Northern Soul scene, I want to be a big name promoter/DJ so I want a name that rings and makes a big noise so I decided on Bell . Because I only have Boots and Re-issues I want to be DJing at the end of the night when I know no one will care because they're all too pissed.

And so that's why they call me Bell End, because I is a bit of a gangsta..."

:ohmy: Crucify him.... :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree it doesn't, but it very rarely happens in my experience. Good taste is open to opinion, but you need to make people want to dance. I don't care what anyone says, that's what the whole scene was based on, "DANCING"

I'm not really into soul music per say, I'm into northern, and that means a tune that makes you want to dance. I don't care if the artist is white, yellow, brown or black, or indeed an instrumental, as long as it moves me to want to get up off my arse.

Thats a very good post, i seem to see a little crack of light shimmering over the horizon here. My wife plays an hour of umptempo underplayed 60`s and some crossover, at our event, which has been running succesfully for twelve years now, and although the place is packed, maybe 3 people dance to her set, but when she comes off its rave reviews, slapping on the back " oh i really enjoyed your set" type thing, We travel and what ive found is the difference is regional knowledge, she dj`d one friday last year in York, cleared the floor for an hour with the exeption of 3 or four, then dj`d in the midlands on the saturday with the same records to a packed dancefloor from start to finish.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Thats a very good post, i seem to see a little crack of light shimmering over the horizon here. My wife plays an hour of umptempo underplayed 60`s and some crossover, at our event, which has been running succesfully for twelve years now, and although the place is packed, maybe 3 people dance to her set, but when she comes off its rave reviews, slapping on the back " oh i really enjoyed your set" type thing, We travel and what ive found is the difference is regional knowledge, she dj`d one friday last year in York, cleared the floor for an hour with the exeption of 3 or four, then dj`d in the midlands on the saturday with the same records to a packed dancefloor from start to finish.

and thats the weird and wonderful world of northern soul eh harry?
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'm not really into soul music per say, I'm into northern, and that means a tune that makes you want to dance. I don't care if the artist is white, yellow, brown or black, or indeed an instrumental, as long as it moves me to want to get up off my arse.

you're not alone there phil..........most out there are like that

Social source share

most of local do's play crap records boots and reissues nothing even half decent 'clueless crowd have no knowledge about rare soul and the dj's are same as the the crowd .

Just out of interest, how do you work that out?

The area in the orginal post, your area, the whole country?

Fair play to you for the amount of do's you must have been to to work that out.,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

except for the 3 horse shoes. i played what i wanted and was appreciated by those that turned up...and its not a modern do

Dave it was a tounge in cheek comment as in all the records played on the scene are 40/50 years old so are all oldies :yes:

Social source share

As I see it, it's simply an age thing. When you're young and energetic, you make the effort to get to wherever the music/good times are. When you're older, you pick and choose your times and venue. Hence, people only make an effort to go local. This means more venues will get people through the door, but on a much smaller scale. I know this is not the case 100 per cent of the time. I personally hate an undersupported do.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Love this topic... personally ive been on and off soul source for last 7 years and 7 years ago people were posting the same topic and in some cases the same people were taking the opportunity to not address the issue but pin their "soul credentials" to the board and hijack the thread with "im in the incrowd" cut and paste comments.

If i was being ultra cynical I would suggest that this thread topic was loaded.... but lets say its not.

I would say the answer to your curiosity is this . Its a free country and anbody at any time can stage a "soul event" thats democracy, reality is wether its billed as rare , motown , crossover, disco... what ever, those that are actually any good and are reguarly attended and are in touch with what the paying public want. Will keep going The others will fold. It really is that simple.

Promoters can promote on here or more likely elswhere as much as they want. But in the end it comes down to maths which = a take in time and effort plus cost of hire djs etc and b add door receipts if b is less than a for a length of time then they either have so much money it dosent matter or they need help mentally.

Simple really if your not a promoter dont worry about it ! try em all if you can and stick to the one you like.

:thumbsup:

Think you've got a nerve,but there you go!(JEM BRITTEN).....You fellas in the northants area are a very good example of what is so wrong...none of you attend any other local events (including you) ie YOU won,t go to KEV SUCHS venue,he won,t attend yours and will only go out when djing as is your want also, let alone further afield. Yes this is a democracy and anyone can put on an event the trouble is you all want to JUST put on YOUR OWN events which in the main are rather poor. The so called love of the music seems to only extend to your own venue.You lot slag one another off,post annonymous posts slagging one another off,deliberatly CLASH with your events and post provocative remarks such as "best attended venue in the area" ect ect. I am regularly accused of being negative towards the local scene,but it,s you lot that are that.....I go along to potsy's do at stewartby not a million miles from any of you lot and have NEVER seen any of you attend which is what venues need ......so don,t have a go at others when you and the rest from your area have sush a piss poor record on this matter (with the exception of LEN D)

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

.......seconds out.......round 2.... :boxing: Ding Ding.

shall say nowt else on this matter.......theres nothing personal with these fellas or their venues.......but someone needs to tell it like it is........and if thats negative then so be it. I can only speak of the area that i come from,but i,m sure it reflects the whole country :thumbsup:

p.s....before anyone starts it,s not just about travelling ect ect.........I,like many others travel to venues as far afield as leeds,burnley ...london (occasionally) and many points inbetween.....we also go along to local nights such as stewartby........we only avoid the northants thing because of their poor attitude towards other events (unless of course djing)............tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Ref Terry and Jem, I know (as Terry said) none of it is personal; they actually share the same views on lots of things. I know Jem will gladly admit to the fact he has said on several occasions "I hate to say it but Terry's right"...But what Terry and many others have seen in the past ref Northants, is an area at logger heads.

Unfortunately any feuds make all involved look bad and that results in all venues involved suffering. This I'm afraid, is the reason The Pemberton Centre couldn't attract the 300 people it required - Simply because the area wasn't 'as one' as it should be, at least for the 'greater good' (All involved are to blame and what a shame as that could have been a great venue)

I think what happened in Northants in the past was really sad, pathetic, ridiculous, embarrassing and short sighted and I'm not talking about just one person or side.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure most of that is behind us now and that all venues in the area are supported or at least not sl*gged off (All flyers are welcome at any venue I'm involved in or I wouldn't be associated with it)

I don't think Northants is the only place where people have 'had a war' though - War, huh, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing etc.....J

Ref above (people not getting on) is this why there are sometimes too many venues in close proximity to each other or are there other reasons?.......Or is discussing this a waste of time as it's not going to change a thing?.....

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

It is a free country and despite the ding ding jokes will not be drawn into this crap about Northants and Terry yes you are entitled to your opinion but at least be honest fella.

You and some of your buddies set the tone 6 years ago by sending me a unsolicited email telling me the first event i was gonna hold would be crap and you and your mates were certainly not gonna attend and that you were gonna tell all the proper soul people not to go.....I have kept that email and printed it off and have it framed at home, because despite that 6 years later im still promoting on the whole successful soulnights in the area. You say they are piss poor but havent attended 1 . Plus i have gone on to promote other non soul events inc. live acts some you may have seen on the tv .not bragging this is fact and is related to this thread

So back to the topic if you are one of the promoters that is just starting out putting a night on and you believe in what you are doing and do a good job look after your customers get the venue right etc. dont let detractors put you off. If your doing the job properly then people will come and keep coming despite how many other nights may be on.

Lastly yes openly admit to having fall outs with other promoters that happens in all areas but have always tackled it head on away from forums in the main and worked things out and we move on, which as Len says is exactly what is happening now in Northants

So lets dispel the myth that Northants is a hotbed of political infighting cos it aint.

Again on topic if you are in an area where you feel there is to much going on try talking to each other promoters sometimes can be a simple as that.

Social source share

So back to the topic if you are one of the promoters that is just starting out putting a night on and you believe in what you are doing and do a good job look after your customers get the venue right etc. dont let detractors put you off. If your doing the job properly then people will come and keep coming despite how many other nights may be on.

As you appear to be a succesful Promoter, could you please expand on what constitutes;

a) 'A good job'

b) What measures you have in place to make sure your customers are 'looked after'

Just interested

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It is a free country and despite the ding ding jokes will not be drawn into this crap about Northants and Terry yes you are entitled to your opinion but at least be honest fella.

You and some of your buddies set the tone 6 years ago by sending me a unsolicited email telling me the first event i was gonna hold would be crap and you and your mates were certainly not gonna attend and that you were gonna tell all the proper soul people not to go.....I have kept that email and printed it off and have it framed at home, because despite that 6 years later im still promoting on the whole successful soulnights in the area. You say they are piss poor but havent attended 1 . Plus i have gone on to promote other non soul events inc. live acts some you may have seen on the tv .not bragging this is fact and is related to this thread

Lastly yes openly admit to having fall outs with other promoters that happens in all areas but have always tackled it head on away from forums in the main and worked things out and we move on, which as Len says is exactly what is happening now in Northants

So lets dispel the myth that Northants is a hotbed of political infighting cos it aint.

Again on topic if you are in an area where you feel there is to much going on try talking to each other promoters sometimes can be a simple as that.

if l say anything on here i,ll also say it to your face. l only mentioned your name as you posted an opinion whist seemingly hiding behind annonymity.........my post was general about northants because thats where l come from and that it probably reflected the whole country I also explained why i,ve never attended any northants venues I would of gladly done so had l seen you fellas out and about SOMEWHERE but it was alas never to be.......l never get personal l post about peoples actions not them as people. Funny thing is actions always speak louder than words except on this site...oh well

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

You seem to know a lot about all this .Wow you must have been around since the year dot on the scene ,to know what records are classed as oldies

yeah i sure do i have a degree in rocket science and an honours in bullshit they both come in real good use to work out that anything that was released in the 60s or 70s must be quite old so in theory they aint really a new release hence they be oldies just called something else to make them sound fresh, well im off now as my satellite is about to orbit Zorg and i need to watch the live screening to see if they have any soul nights on up there as there must be a gap in the market for another promotion somewhere playing 50 year old records disguised as something new :thumbup: atb :hatsoff2:

Social source share

if l say anything on here i,ll also say it to your face. l only mentioned your name as you posted an opinion whist seemingly hiding behind annonymity.........my post was general about northants because thats where l come from and that it probably reflected the whole country I also explained why i,ve never attended any northants venues I would of gladly done so had l seen you fellas out and about SOMEWHERE but it was alas never to be.......l never get personal l post about peoples actions not them as people. Funny thing is actions always speak louder than words except on this site...oh well

Well some of that makes sense :g: certainly not trying to hide behind anything its just my handle isnt yours peggy terry ? got no problem with people knowing who i am and no problem with you naming me, my only beef is people being honest....just one thing im a bit confused about...is why because you havent seen me out an about that would stop you coming to an event i promote The event aint about me its about the music atmosphere dancing etc surely....infact i would go as far to say that some of the best events ive ever been to i havent a clue who promoted them and didnt really care .I just had a good night

All the best Jeremy Brittin (not Britten)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

O.K........take it all back.......it,s not important to support others venues.....just be glad the mugs support yours whoever you are

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

O.K........take it all back.......it,s not important to support others venues.....just be glad the mugs support yours whoever you are

Spot on :thumbsup: apart from i wouldnt personally treat any customers as mugs as i doubt they would come back again and i doubt any other promoter the length and breadth of this land gives a flying fig if I attend their event or not I aint that important dont mean I dont wish them all the best though.

Social source share

No you save that for pms and emails :wink:

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

No you save that for pms and emails :wink:

-

Well tbh id call that a result as at least you know where you stand

Social source share

arent we all? lol

Well yeah we are lol otherwise we would not have a scene.... maybe I should have elaborated a bit more by saying that some folks want to hear nothing more than played out oldies each & every week or month and that's why these kinda do's get packed out every time.Not saying that there's anything wrong with that,each to their own is what I say,but what I can't understand is that some have been doin this scene for donkey's years longer than I have yet still they want the same old.

And to be honest if we only had these kinda do's on every where I'd have got so bored by now lol and I've only been back on the scene for almost 9 years after having a 26 year break cuz I got married at 18 and had 3 kids by the time I was 23. :ohmy::lol::thumbsup:

JB xxx KTF xxx

Social source share

as for the topic..yes too many nights..but there is no answer...just do your thing and hope its good enuff to pull in a crowd,you cant force people to come or like the 'styles' you do ,most of all ' have a good time'...not worth falling out with people over!

dean

Totally agree with you! :thumbsup:

People pay their money and take their choice as to where they want to go,I'm not disputing that or that it's not normal to like what they did in their younger years,life's way too short so just ENJOY what ya like LIVE life to the FULL and treat every day as if it were your LAST!! :yes:

JB xxx KTF xxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share