When I Wore A Lad A Lived In A Schweppes Box

When I wore a lad ya could leave ya front door open for years and nobody would ever pinch owt.

We were so poor but honest mi Dad used to make his own Hovis bread.

I used to get a bruised orange for mi birthday.

People didn't take drugs then - all they needed was them Wether's originals to keep going.

We didn't have owt fancy to keep our records in then.

When I first left home a lived in mi Schweppes box for a while.....

post-1224-0-42008200-1336138749_thumb.jp

derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Ah yes.... painted mine red, all of 'em. Had loads for the disco when I was a mobile jock. Much easier than the Squires 600 flight case I bought thinking I would be the bee's knees.... couldn't lift the b*st*rd thing for the life of me. Used to strap the box to the back of me scoot. No good if it rained

Steve

Social source share

derek x

A bruised orange you were lucky! One year my dad got me 'hide and seek' for my birthday. :D

Seriously though that's a Canada Dry Fruit Juice crate not a Schweppes one. I moved enough of them as child labour in my dad's pubs Maybe all that 'bottling up' is why all the tins in our cupboards have the labels at the front and all my records are in their sleeves straight, :g:

Social source share

A bruised orange you were lucky! One year my dad got me 'hide and seek' for my birthday. :D

Seriously though that's a Canada Dry Fruit Juice crate not a Schweppes one. I moved enough of them as child labour in my dad's pubs Maybe all that 'bottling up' is why all the tins in our cupboards have the labels at the front and all my records are in their sleeves straight, :g:

Did the same , lived in a Pub (although my Mrs. thinks I still do :lol: ) and used to bottle up for my parents , then discovered that my records used fit nicely in those mixer crates , Happy Days eh!

Anways , you were lucky , my Mum & Dad only got me 'Hide' for mine and got me 'Seek' the next year !!!

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did the same , lived in a Pub (although my Mrs. thinks I still do :lol: ) and used to bottle up for my parents , then discovered that my records used fit nicely in those mixer crates , Happy Days eh!

Anways , you were lucky , my Mum & Dad only got me 'Hide' for mine and got me 'Seek' the next year !!!

:lol::thumbup:

Social source share

When I wer a lad I lived back to back wi Clive Powell ( Georgie Fame )

Then we moved to Gamble St in Leigh facing our house was a textile mill, top of the street was a Iron Foundry behind our house

was the goods yard full of steam trains and wagons and that was one of the posh area,s lol

Derek Pearson when he was a lad I was a owd mon lol

Social source share

All I got was "Pin the tail on the donkey" and guess what....... there never was a donkey :( Mum always said I was the ass in our house :g:

Social source share

Seriously though that's a Canada Dry Fruit Juice crate not a Schweppes one.

Well spotted Ged - using Canada Dry in the topic title wasn't as snappy as using Schweppes hahaha.

For those that aren't aware record collectors used to use these old wooden crates to store and/or carry records around in.

Various drinks company's used these wooden crates to distribute their product around to a variety of pubs and clubs.

Their measurements were ideal - 7.5inch wide, 6inch deep & 16inch long meant the box could hold up to 150 singles.

Even though they were light they were very robust and certainly built to last to withstand the rigours of pub life.

Dove tailed joints both ends with metal wire strengtheners, cut outs at each end and down the sides for ease of lifting.

At the time I guess everybodies dad, grandad and/or uncle had the odd box or two in the cellar, loft, shed or where ever.

Guess the majority of them ended up on the fire as I rarely seem them about nowadays on my travels.

What I can't recall was - was there an insert or summat in the box to stop the bottles rattling against each other?

And finally, over the years Rob Smith could be regularly spotted humping hundreds of records around in these crates.

derek

Social source share

All I got was "Pin the tail on the donkey" and guess what....... there never was a donkey :( Mum always said I was the ass in our house :g:

You were lucky...

One year my Dad got me an empty box....

Told me it was an Action Man Deserter..

T

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well spotted Ged - using Canada Dry in the topic title wasn't as snappy as using Schweppes hahaha.

For those that aren't aware record collectors used to use these old wooden crates to store and/or carry records around in.

Various drinks company's used these wooden crates to distribute their product around to a variety of pubs and clubs.

Their measurements were ideal - 7.5inch wide, 6inch deep & 16inch long meant the box could hold up to 150 singles.

Even though they were light they were very robust and certainly built to last to withstand the rigours of pub life.

Dove tailed joints both ends with metal wire strengtheners, cut outs at each end and down the sides for ease of lifting.

At the time I guess everybodies dad, grandad and/or uncle had the odd box or two in the cellar, loft, shed or where ever.

Guess the majority of them ended up on the fire as I rarely seem them about nowadays on my travels.

What I can't recall was - was there an insert or summat in the box to stop the bottles rattling against each other?

And finally, over the years Rob Smith could be regularly spotted humping hundreds of records around in these crates.

derek

Derek , seem to remember there was nothing to separate the bottles , if there were a few taken out and you moved the crate they all fell over like bloody skittles !! Mind you I'm sure there are enough 'Crate Diggers' on here to confirm or deny this :lol: .

I'll get my Anorak ! :wicked:

Social source share

When I wore a lad ya could leave ya front door open for years and nobody would ever pinch owt.

We were so poor but honest mi Dad used to make his own Hovis bread.

People didn't take drugs then - all they needed was them Wether's originals to keep going.

We didn't have owt fancy to keep our records in then.

When I first left home a lived in mi Schweppes box for a while.....

post-1224-0-42008200-1336138749_thumb.jp

derek x

a bruised orange, you were spoiled, best i got was a clout round the earhole

Social source share

derek

Hey DP my dad worked for Canada Dry for 30 years, and Schweppes were the enemy!!

If only I'd have known back then :rolleyes: then you could have changed your tired chat up line from "Have yer mum & dad got any records?" to "Has your dad got any crates" :lol:

Dad has told me stories about when the crates used to come back to the factory from the pubs, with birds nests and grass snakes in them, no records though :D

Ali x

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

All my 45s are still in actual Schweppes crates nicked from the Co-op in the 70s - lovely deep orange colour & not out of place on display. I've often wished that me furniture was half as well-made.

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

All my 45s are still in actual Schweppes crates nicked from the Co-op in the 70s - lovely deep orange colour & not out of place on display. I've often wished that me furniture was half as well-made.

I lived in a Schweppes crate for a few years.Compact and bijou.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

you poor old northern folk.......us lot live in luxury.......houses and all and we had cars back in the day :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I lived in a Schweppes crate for a few years.Compact and bijou.

big paul said you still drive about in a shweppes crate

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!