Duke Browner On Impact. What Does The Boot Look Like ?

I see there is a Duke Browner, cryin' over you on ebay with a ' stamped matrix '. What does that actually look like ? Was this booted and how can you tell ?? Any help from the experts appreciated. Thanks, Tony. OZ.

Edited by suinoz
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Hi Ian

Lovettes "Little Miss Soul"

Ed Crook "That's Alright"

Marsh Brody "Right Combination"

? "My Mechanical Man"

and maybe some others that are even less memorable, if that's posible.

Rick

Leah Dawson - "My Mechanical Man" ??

Also Rick were the Copies of Mikki Farrow from Global real ones, I allways thought they were.!

Ritchie.

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Leah Dawson - "My Mechanical Man" ??

Also Rick were the Copies of Mikki Farrow from Global real ones, I allways thought they were.!

Ritchie.

Ritchie

Yes , the copies of Mikki Farrow were genuine. About 25 copies in a container load that also had Eddie Spencer, Tobi Lark, Jimmy Soul Clarke and stuff on Miracle. Had Global booted it they would have been nasty, thin and warped, credited to Mikki Barrow .

Rick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 11 months later...

The dark red Duke Browner boots were done by Global Records in Manchester when I worked there in the mid 70s. The middle aged owner of Global ,Ed Balbier, had some crazy ideas about what to bootleg but this was one of his better choices. We had quite a few original copies of the record which sold well at around £4 to £5. I think Richard Searling found these in the US when he worked at Global before me.

Balbier noticed that there was a demand for the record but never asked me if I thought it would sell in bulk . I suppose he thought it best to keep his illegal schemes quiet.

He took one of the original copies back to Philly and got it pressed up by House of Sounds , the "go-to" place for any dodgy deals. There was probably 1000 copies made but loads were unsalable as they were badly warped. Those that weren't warped sounded terrible. If you look closely at the record in a strong light they often have what looks like loads of tiny scratches. This seemed to be on other House of Sounds boots so I think it could be due to poor quality vinyl, maybe it is the recycled vinyl.

I don't know why they couldn't make a better bootleg but that's what you get from a couple of cheapskates.

Of course any one who is tempted to buy one should avoid it at all cost.

Rick

I bought one of the original Duke Browners from Global after Richard found 200 of them in the USA. The price then was 60p. I still have the record and the yellow global price list stating 60p.

Louis

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought one of the original Duke Browners from Global after Richard found 200 of them in the USA. The price then was 60p. I still have the record and the yellow global price list stating 60p.

Louis

Louis

Well done on getting a great bargain. I should think the price soon went up as Ed Balbier noticed the record was flying out. When I was there I think there were about 25 -30 originals left. Any chance of posting a scan of the list up.

Rick

Social source share

Louis

Well done on getting a great bargain. I should think the price soon went up as Ed Balbier noticed the record was flying out. When I was there I think there were about 25 -30 originals left. Any chance of posting a scan of the list up.

Rick

Rick

Scanner not working but took camera shots, states 1 september 1974 list..............

post-4054-0-88150400-1384001277_thumb.jp

post-4054-0-74595200-1384001296_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris, Is this the styrene copy with the scratched in matrix that I think starts with a 2? really good quality press. Atb John.

This a Monarch pressed record with 107892 vocal side, 107492 on instrumental side. Is in styrene with a stuck on label very tough to tell from an original in a dark room ! You don't see a lot of these for sale, probably rarer than original !! :lol:

Duke Browner_0001.jpg

Duke Browner_0002.jpg

Monarch pressed circa 70s

Duke Browner Crying.jpg

An original

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Louis

Yes l got one for 60p at the time, the funny thing was Selectadisc were still selling the pressing for 85p at the time.

The amount of time l have talked about over the years and l know some people didn't believe it.

Social source share

Yes l got one for 60p at the time, the funny thing was Selectadisc were still selling the pressing for 85p at the time.

The amount of time l have talked about over the years and l know some people didn't believe it.

When were they for sale at 60p each, the 70s or 80s ? It went for £50.00 at the Torch in 1972/73.

Social source share

The Global List that Dave (Louise) posted earlier shows it at 60p, with the list dated September 1974! If I read the posts above correctly they were original copies too..

The Global list with Duke Browner was the wholesale list for shops but with the price codes and info changed for mail order or callers to the warehouse so the copies are the bootleg.

The originals were listed on the collectors list . This was a single page of titles that were in small quantities or valuable. The original Duke Browner would have been up to around £3.00 but definitely more than 60p. Dave K emailed me some Global lists years ago but I can't get them to load anymore.

Global's owner Ed Balbier used to refer to the collectors list as the "kids list" , which was not very nice.

Rick

Social source share

The Global list with Duke Browner was the wholesale list for shops but with the price codes and info changed for mail order or callers to the warehouse so the copies are the bootleg.

The originals were listed on the collectors list . This was a single page of titles that were in small quantities or valuable. The original Duke Browner would have been up to around £3.00 but definitely more than 60p. Dave K emailed me some Global lists years ago but I can't get them to load anymore.

Global's owner Ed Balbier used to refer to the collectors list as the "kids list" , which was not very nice.

Rick

Rick, l deffo got a proper one for 60p, also James & Bobby Purify "Help Yourself" 60p (Wigan were playing Jimmy James version at the time)and £5 each Shane Martin "l Need You" , Natural Four "I Thought You Where Mine" 

They were not mail order, l went to Canada House to buy them.

Social source share

Rick, l deffo got a proper one for 60p, also James & Bobby Purify "Help Yourself" 60p (Wigan were playing Jimmy James version at the time)and £5 each Shane Martin "l Need You" , Natural Four "I Thought You Where Mine" 

They were not mail order, l went to Canada House to buy them.

Dave

Well done, somebody screwed up as the originals were kept well away from the boots. 

Rick

PS Shane Martin was on the pop list for 22p until Pep tried to order 12 copies.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!