Sy Hightower - Monarch Lp Test Pressing

Guest Nick Harrison

Guest Nick Harrison

Did this ever rightfully receive a full LP release as both "I Know You're Leaving Me" and "I Wonder Why" were played from a Monarch Test Pressing in LP format in the late eighties out of Hull. The Test Pressing surfaced later as only a few of us had actually sourced limited 45 copies on Carmen 1002 of the well known "I Know Leaving Me/Wild Love.

Thanks.

Social source share

Rod Dearlove who is on here may be able to help you with your answers but i believe the full lp was never made available and the copy Rod found and may still own was one side of the album as you rightly say was a monarch lp test pressing, the test press may have included "I AIN'T PLAYIN'" "I'VE BEEN THINKING" Don't think the other side of the lp test press ever showed up and i do know that Rod put a hell of a lot of effort into trying to locate Sy Hightower.

Social source share

Rod Dearlove who is on here may be able to help you with your answers but i believe the full lp was never made available and the copy Rod found and may still own was one side of the album as you rightly say was a monarch lp test pressing, the test press may have included "I AIN'T PLAYIN'" "I'VE BEEN THINKING" Don't think the other side of the lp test press ever showed up and i do know that Rod put a hell of a lot of effort into trying to locate Sy Hightower.

Hi Rick,

Think it came from (and was found by) Ian Dewhirst, if i'm not mistaken.

Think I heard that Steve G owns it now, but don't know that for a fact.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I found it @ Monarch Pressing plant in LA where I dropped by occasionally. It was in a skip ready to be chucked out and it caught my eye and looked interesting so I snagged it. It was unusual for me to pick up 12" TP's at the time but the name Si Hightower sounded good. Fact is I couldn't get ANYONE interested in it in the late 70's as it was simply too slow for the time. However one guy I used to sell a lot of Deep stuff to at the time was Colin Dilnot from Liverpool and he kept pestering me to sell it and since he was a regular buyer I eventually let him have it. I believe it eventually went to Rod from Colin. It was one of several really good obscure things I had back then but it's certainly one that's sustained well over time.

I found both of the Si Hightower singles in South Central not long afterwards along with Charles Russel and other local goodies.......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the history Ian, it's gone to a good home...... :yes:

Amazed people still think Rod has it, he hasn't had it for about 10 years now.

I'm rather hoping it's framed in the lounge rather than outside in the shed......... :lol:

Amazing when you think it was headed to become landfill. That's one lucky rekid..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks guys for the historical update and it's past and current owners journey. Always knew it would be in safe hands somewhere. :yes:

So was it a 2 or 4 track only T/P or a full album containing semi unissued material on it.

Cheers.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Great stuff, also like Nick i'd like too know what else is on the test press, 2/4 track or whatever ? This is when this site works so well, i've zero interest in long forgotten nighters, the clothes somebody wore etc, music, music, music..only thing that hits my nerve endings. Ian Dewhirst is terrific company and has fabulous tales to tell.

Brett

Social source share

Thanks guys for the historical update and it's past and current owners journey. Always knew it would be in safe hands somewhere. :yes:

So was it a 2 or 4 track only T/P or a full album containing semi unissued material on it.

Cheers.

6 Track, there are both sides of the single, two versions of "I wonder why" one with strings, and three other tracks. Only one of those three is slow the rest are uptempo. As it is single sided there should be a Side 2 somewhere popping up the Santa Monica freeway.......Steve

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

What is the source of the Hayley 45/CD ?

Interesting point as Hayley Records credits Monarch Publishing and the Carmelita Label in Florida for the I Wonder Why/I Know Your Leaving....................formated edit's . :g:

Um ........ but then they would - anyone else involved with this 2005 release from the uk back then, other than Hayley ?

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

• 4 months later...

I found a copy of this Sy Hightower Monarch test pressing about fifteen years ago..

It is a one sided stereo 12 inch vinyl record, with Sy's name written on the label. (six songs on one side)

Song selection is the same as mentioned in this discussion.

Edited by spinologist
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!