Most Bizarre Playlist Of All Time?

I was just doing a truly gigantic sales list of Modern Soul records, all sorts, and I thought I'd play a couple, ones I remembered from mainly the 76-77 period. Nothing rare, just stuff we used to dance to. You know what, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed listening to music so much, I hadn't heard most of these for 30 odd years (apart from the chart hits) and I think Party Freaks by Miami might be one of the greatest records ever made! I must have had 10 copies of that over the years and never played it once. Same with lenny Williams - Choosing You, had loads, never played it. Center City by Fat Larrys Band, I remembered every single word of it. I am going to have to turn this into a podcast.

If anyone has the number of a good psychiatrist, let me know.

CANDI STATON - YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE - WARNER BROS

CAMEO - FIND MY WAY - CHOCOLATE CITY

PHYLLIS HYMAN - YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME - ARISTA

MOMENTS - NINE TIMES - STANG

SILVETTI - SPRING RAIN - SALSOUL

AQUARIAN DREAM - PHOENIX - BUDDAH

BRAINSTORM - WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY - TABU

BATAAN - THE BOTTLE (LA BOTELLA) - RCA

D.C. LARUE - CATHEDRALS - PYRAMID

RIMSHOTS - DO WHAT YOU FEEL - STANG

BO KIRKLAND & RUTH DAVIS - YOU'RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME - CLARIDGE

LENNY WILLIAMS - CHOOSING YOU - ABC

VICKI SUE ROBINSON - TURN THE BEAT AROUND - RCA

SISTER SLEDGE - LOVE DON'T GO THROUGH NO CHANGES ON ME - ATCO

DOOLEY SILVERSPOON - GAME PLAYERS - SEVILLE

JAMES BYNUM - TIME PASSES BY - PHILLY CITY

WILL COLLINS & WILLPOWER - IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO - BAREBACK

FAT LARRY'S BAND - CENTER CITY - WMOT

CREATIVE SOURCE - DON'T BE AFRAID (TAKE MY LOVE) - POLYDOR

EAST COAST CONNECTION - SUMMER IN THE PARKS - NEW DIRECTIONS

MIAMI FEATURING ROBERT MOORE - PARTY FREAKS - DRIVE

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was just doing a truly gigantic sales list of Modern Soul records, all sorts, and I thought I'd play a couple, ones I remembered from mainly the 76-77 period. Nothing rare, just stuff we used to dance to. You know what, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed listening to music so much, I hadn't heard most of these for 30 odd years (apart from the chart hits) and I think Party Freaks by Miami might be one of the greatest records ever made! I must have had 10 copies of that over the years and never played it once. Same with lenny Williams - Choosing You, had loads, never played it. Center City by Fat Larrys Band, I remembered every single word of it. I am going to have to turn this into a podcast.

I just fell over with shock! :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

I just fell over with shock! :lol:

Ian D :D

Ian, after about 5 records my missus came in and asked me if I was alright and was I doing a cd for someone's disco party :lol:

I also discovered that DC Larue must be the luckiest man to get a recording contract, he sings so flat!

Some other records I had lined up but didn't fit on the cd were

T Connection - On fire (too dirty and couldn't be bothered to clean it)

Al Wilson - Show and tell (too slow)

Bill Harris - Uptown saturday night (horrible)

The Magic Band - Falbala (unspeakably terrible)

Valentine Brothers - MOneys too tight (dreadful drum sound)

Norma Jenkins - Can you imagine that (record jumped)

Brother To Brother - In the bottle (warped)

Temprees - At Last (utter rubbish)

Social source share

I love that DC Larue reminds me of willenhall baths, Dave Murray etc.. along with Idris Mohammed "Turn that mutha out" and "Salsoul 3001" by the salsoul orchestra.

Phyllis Hyman was always one of my favourites from around then.

Was good to hear Dooley Silverspoon at Helens funeral do the other week too.

Be interested in a 70s soulpack with some of those in Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

I love that DC Larue reminds me of willenhall baths, Dave Murray etc.. along with Idris Mohammed "Turn that mutha out" and "Salsoul 3001" by the salsoul orchestra.

Phyllis Hyman was always one of my favourites from around then.

Was good to hear Dooley Silverspoon at Helens funeral do the other week too.

Be interested in a 70s soulpack with some of those in Pete :thumbsup:

Sure mate, will see what I can do.

Carthedrals actually reminds me of Pep's shop, it was one of the very first 12" to come out (along with Salsoul 3001) and I remember it playing in the shop and it went on forever and ever and the general consensus was that they'd never catch on!

Social source share

Looks to me like you've been cured at last Pete. :)

Ah no mate, the difference is that I used to like most of these records when I was in my teens, as opposed to the other 300 or so modern soul records I am currently listing which I would only listen to if I was clinically insane.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Sure mate, will see what I can do.

Carthedrals actually reminds me of Pep's shop, it was one of the very first 12" to come out (along with Salsoul 3001) and I remember it playing in the shop and it went on forever and ever and the general consensus was that they'd never catch on!

Was the first 12" single a boney m tune....daddy cool rings a bell ?

Social source share

Found this on wikipedia

The first very first 12" single was released in 1973 by soul/R&B musician/songwriter/producer Jerry Williams, Jr. aka Swamp Dogg. 12" promotional copies of "Straight From My Heart" were released on his own Swamp Dogg Presents label (Swamp Dogg Presents #501/SDP-SD01, 33¢..." r.p.m.) with distribution by Jamie/Guyden Distribution Corporation. It was manufactured by Jamie Record Co. of Philadelphia PA. The B-side of the record is blank.

The first official promotional 12" single was Southshore Commissions' "Free Man". At first, these special versions were only available as promotional copies to DJs. Examples of these promos, released at almost the same time in 1975 are, GARY TOMS EMPIRE - "Drive My Car", DON DOWNING - "Dream World", BARRABAS - "Mellow Blow", THE TRAMMPS - "Hooked for Life", ACE SPECTRUM - "Keep Holdin' On", SOUTH SHORE COMMISSION - "Train Called Freedom", THE CHEQUERS - "Undecided Love", ERNIE RUSH - "Breakaway", RALPH CARTER - "When You're Young and in Love", Michael ZAGER & The Moon Band Feat. Peabo BRYSON - "Do It With Feeling", MONDAY AFTER - "Merry-Go-Round", THE RITCHIE FAMILY - "I Want To Dance" and FRANKIE VALLI - "Swearin' to God".

By 1976, with the release of "Ten Percent" by Double Exposure on Salsoul Records, the new format was sold to the general public. The second song found on a 12" single is "Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer, released in 1976. This song was originally a full side of her North American debut release, but released again in early 1977 backed with "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It", on the Oasis/Casablanca label.

Social source share

Well just by picking those 3 in a row, it goes to show there may be hope for you yet Pete :D . All fantastic records!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

maybe the the first in the charts or something like that!...deffo remember reading something along those lines many moons ago. the don downing track dream world..bought that as a new release on 7" though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I always remember Boney M on UK Atlantic, and Undisputed Truth "You+Me=love" on UK WB as been the 1st 2 major label 12" releases in the UK - was in Sundown records in Wolverhampton, and ended up buying them both as a novelty thing - even though I thought Undisputed Truth was a great tune... other side is more fashionable now I believe :)

Social source share

Found this on wikipedia

The first very first 12" single was released in 1973 by soul/R&B musician/songwriter/producer Jerry Williams, Jr. aka Swamp Dogg. 12" promotional copies of "Straight From My Heart" were released on his own Swamp Dogg Presents label (Swamp Dogg Presents #501/SDP-SD01, 33¢..." r.p.m.) with distribution by Jamie/Guyden Distribution Corporation. It was manufactured by Jamie Record Co. of Philadelphia PA. The B-side of the record is blank.

The first official promotional 12" single was Southshore Commissions' "Free Man". At first, these special versions were only available as promotional copies to DJs. Examples of these promos, released at almost the same time in 1975 are, GARY TOMS EMPIRE - "Drive My Car", DON DOWNING - "Dream World", BARRABAS - "Mellow Blow", THE TRAMMPS - "Hooked for Life", ACE SPECTRUM - "Keep Holdin' On", SOUTH SHORE COMMISSION - "Train Called Freedom", THE CHEQUERS - "Undecided Love", ERNIE RUSH - "Breakaway", RALPH CARTER - "When You're Young and in Love", Michael ZAGER & The Moon Band Feat. Peabo BRYSON - "Do It With Feeling", MONDAY AFTER - "Merry-Go-Round", THE RITCHIE FAMILY - "I Want To Dance" and FRANKIE VALLI - "Swearin' to God".

By 1976, with the release of "Ten Percent" by Double Exposure on Salsoul Records, the new format was sold to the general public. The second song found on a 12" single is "Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer, released in 1976. This song was originally a full side of her North American debut release, but released again in early 1977 backed with "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It", on the Oasis/Casablanca label.

They're all US releases Pete

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I always remember Boney M on UK Atlantic, and Undisputed Truth "You+Me=love" on UK WB as been the 1st 2 major label 12" releases in the UK - was in Sundown records in Wolverhampton, and ended up buying them both as a novelty thing - even though I thought Undisputed Truth was a great tune... other side is more fashionable now I believe :)

correct....the wikkipedia list must relate to the u.s market. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Spooky... I've just listened to this prior to opening up this thread!

Mind you, I went for part.2. without the vocals (love the slight echo on the tambourine) and mine is on Japanese RCA.

:huh:

Social source share

As a matter of interest, do you know the latest year any of those got released? Not 1974 by any chance?

Social source share

Don't Be Afraid Take My LOve by Creative Source..Was there a USA single of this track?

No US 7"...UK only as far as I know...superb track.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes to all those I only love Wigan tunes that most of these were denounced at the time as Disco-Pish! but They sound even better today IMO

I knew the vocalist on Dont be afraid was female - I wrote to the band back in the 70s Pete and got an answer from Polydor to my questions. The Lp Pass the feelin on which has Dont be afraid on it has some absolute sublime tunes.

Jon Willis played Norma Jenkins on BIR couple of weeks ago and it sounded superb.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!