Sophisticates On Mutt

Linda4me

I would have thought £100 to £150? There was one on here or facebook recently and sure it was less than $100, sure Boba commented because it hadn't sold at the time.

Wow I am so out of touch! I would have said £20 - £25. Just shows you.

I did comment ages ago about him putting not rare records up for auction (Skip Jackson I think the record was). His reply was when a record is in demand he puts it on auction to give everyone a chance at getting it. I wouldn't rate this is as in demand though.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cracking double sider, often find myself playing the flip these days "I Need You" :thumbsup:

Didn't think it was more than bout 50 quid tho!

steve

Yep great double sider. I was looking recently hoping to get one, would have paid £50, couldn't find one for less than a ton over here.

I've not seen any demand for it either?

Social source share

seems to be fetching £70-£100 this last year, I was after one but was only expecting to pay £50 tops!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Spent years as a £5 - £10 job. I'd have thought £40 now. Great record, first had this in 1981 or 82, no idea if it was ever played anywhere, just loved it.

:facepalm:

Social source share

I don't think that this record is common. I think it's the type of record where demand affects the price dramatically.

It was super-common until a few years back Bob, all of the Mutt stuff was mass imported here (except for Dusty Wilson), Anglo had thousands of them, this was a staple of their list for years, you could even find them locally. Of course it's not common now because people have been told it's good/rare, so like sheep, they all want one.

Social source share

It was super-common until a few years back Bob, all of the Mutt stuff was mass imported here (except for Dusty Wilson), Anglo had thousands of them, this was a staple of their list for years, you could even find them locally. Of course it's not common now because people have been told it's good/rare, so like sheep, they all want one.

Thanks for the correction. I think it was a little more than a few years but either way your point still stands -- if there's many copies floating around in the UK, that changes things.

Social source share

Thanks for the correction. I think it was a little more than a few years but either way your point still stands -- if there's many copies floating around in the UK, that changes things.

I sold my own copy last year, maybe 18 months ago, for £25.

It's "on record". In fact i think I sold Alan Poillard's old copy about a year back as well, same price.

Social source share

I'll sell mine. I remember playing it at DDA and hadn't played it for years prior to that so it needed a good clean. Will dig it out and see what it's like.

I'd be interested in that Joan :thumbsup:

What?

Just your memory AGAIN.... although after a days reflection, you might have stopped going to Wigan just before it got played...

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I'd be interested in that Joan :thumbsup:

Just you're memory AGAIN.... although after a days reflection, you might have stopped going to Wigan just before it got played...

Thats what I said, I never heard it anywhere, in fact I think I first heard it on a tape I got off Rich Simner? Had Heartache Souvenirs on same tape when it was covered up.

Social source share

Had mine years & not djed with it in ages so after reading all the hullabaloo on here about it thought I'd give a runout last night at Bradford...........emptied the floor...........but sounded brilliant played out loud :D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

yep, copies have dried up BECAUSE they are mostly in people's collections already. i picked one up off henry atkinson for £75 and even he had put it up on ebay ( or as most of you refer to it: evilbay ). i agree, its typically a record that perhaps you couldnt give away years ago, but as they say, every dog has its day and this record of course, is a product of detroit so naturally, it has its appeal. sounds muffled so you cant really make out the lyrics but it bounces along and i suppose you could class it as crossover as well...i'll play it in the windsor suite. incidentally, this is/was the SECOND copy john has put up for auction in less than 12 months, so, 2 less to appear on the market and, hence, the price grows.

Social source share

ahhh come on, there are lots of these about, and its worth £40 tops... maybe £60 as there now seems to be the same madness surrounding it that Dealers, Nick Allen etc etc have received in the past year or so...

Sorry folks thats the gods truth, it's a reasonably regular track to get, and anybody paying £100 is a fool..but then somebody started this thread in the fools paradise didn't they.

:g: Mal.C.

Social source share

We all know what a record is actually worth and what it costs to buy one on this scene are two different figures. Tis one might only be worth £40 but you will be lucky to buy one for this that. The cheapest I've seen recently is I think $80 and three figures in £'s. What it cost someone 18 months ago or 20 years ago is irrelevant.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ahhh come on, there are lots of these about, and its worth £40 tops... maybe £60 as there now seems to be the same madness surrounding it that Dealers, Nick Allen etc etc have received in the past year or so...

Sorry folks thats the gods truth, it's a reasonably regular track to get, and anybody paying £100 is a fool..but then somebody started this thread in the fools paradise didn't they.

:g: Mal.C.

Spot on.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!